sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 19, 2022 5:15 pm  #1

Ryan Doyle, Jamil Jivani & A New CFRB Mystery

It's now been a few months since Ryan Doyle was even mentioned on his old 1010 home. And Jamil Jivani hasn't been heard on CFRB's airwaves for more than a month. Still no word on what happened to them or how they came to leave their shows. 

Doyle has not posted a single message on his Twitter site since Oct. 27th, right before his disappearance. His Facebook page has "no posts available" on it. 

In contrast, Jamil Jivani has continued to post to social media, but there's been nothing at all about his sudden departure from radio on his Twitter, Facebook or Instagram pages. 

What's interesting about this to me is that we've all seen what happens when media people are let go from their jobs without a chance to say goodbye to their listeners. They almost always post a message somewhere thanking fans for following their shows and wishing those left behind well. 

The fact that neither has done that intrigues me and - this is total speculation on my part - leads me to believe they may both be launching legal action against their former employer for wrongful dismissal or some other claim. Otherwise why the endless silence? (In Jivani's case, he could perhaps do it himself, since he has a law degree.)

Legal advice is often to stay quiet about these things, as anything they say could potentially harm a pending case. I suppose we'll see if either of them winds up seeking a settlement in court and returning online to give their side of the story.

Which brings us to the latest mystery. Where in the world is Lisa Morales, the former CFRB morning traffic reporter? Back in 2019, she announced she was leaving the station to become a fulltime mom to her newborn baby. But she eventually returned to some fanfare on Moore in the Morning not too long ago. Now she, too, has suddenly gone missing, replaced by former afternoon traffic reporter Adwoa Nsiah-Yeboah. Perhaps Morales was only back to fill the gaps during holidays. But like the other two, her absence has never been addressed. 

If anyone knows what's going on over there, feel free to share anonymously here. 

Talk about for whom the Bell tolls...

January 19, 2022 6:03 pm  #2

Re: Ryan Doyle, Jamil Jivani & A New CFRB Mystery

And by the way, I notice that the NewsTalk 1010 schedule page still lists Jim Richards as doing the overnight show. He hasn't been there in months and I can only presume that after all this time, he's no longer "filling in" on the afternoon show. Why don't they just confirm the co-host gig is his and make it official?

Shades of Greg Brady on GNR640, who was in for Mike Stafford for months, before they finally gave him the mornings permanently. 

Last edited by RadioActive (January 19, 2022 8:21 pm)

January 20, 2022 12:41 pm  #3

RadioActive wrote:

Which brings us to the latest mystery. Where in the world is Lisa Morales, the former CFRB morning traffic reporter? Back in 2019, she announced she was leaving the station to become a fulltime mom to her newborn baby. But she eventually returned to some fanfare on Moore in the Morning not too long ago. Now she, too, has suddenly gone missing, replaced by former afternoon traffic reporter Adwoa Nsiah-Yeboah. Perhaps Morales was only back to fill the gaps during holidays. But like the other two, her absence has never been addressed.

I'm not sure of the reason for Morales's absence, but there was this Twitter post (image below) of hers. The last responder in this comment thread seemed to presume it was a job loss, although unless I missed a clarifying post of hers that might be only his assumption on the general "2022 sucks" sentiment.

Morales was openly speaking on-air with John Moore about a Covid-19 scare with a family/extended family member (I think last year sometime) and quarantining when she previously had a substitute in the traffic role, so perhaps something related to that and she'll be back.

January 20, 2022 7:56 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

And by the way, I notice that the NewsTalk 1010 schedule page still lists Jim Richards as doing the overnight show. He hasn't been there in months and I can only presume that after all this time, he's no longer "filling in" on the afternoon show. Why don't they just confirm the co-host gig is his and make it official?

Shades of Greg Brady on GNR640, who was in for Mike Stafford for months, before they finally gave him the mornings permanently. 

If, as you speculate, the former hosts are engaged in legal action against the station, it may be in their best legal interest to not make the replacements official until those are settled, depending on the reason they were given for their dismissal.

January 23, 2022 1:17 am  #5

RadioAaron wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

If, as you speculate, the former hosts are engaged in legal action against the station, it may be in their best legal interest to not make the replacements official until those are settled, depending on the reason they were given for their dismissal.

Probably in binding arbitration if it's a union shop. 

February 1, 2022 10:27 am  #6

Jamil Javani speaks out on his firing from 1010

Last edited by PMC (February 1, 2022 10:27 am)

February 1, 2022 10:44 am  #7

Thanks, PMC, for that link. Interesting read. I'll be looking at his other parts of his post series as well.

Also, for the Lisa Morales question posed earlier in this thread, I see from her Twitter feed that she's taking a bit of time away:

February 1, 2022 10:55 am  #8

PMC wrote:

Jamil Javani speaks out on his firing from 1010 

Wow. That was a fascinating read. Whatever side you're on politically, every now and then, the curtain gets pulled a bit back and you find out what's going on in the corporate offices of companies like Bell. I'll be interested to read the next installment when he posts it on Feb. 7th.

February 1, 2022 12:00 pm  #9

I never heard Jivani's show, so I can't comment specifically.

But is Jivani correct thinking his leaving was solely due to a misconnect between him & management .. or was there a bigger agenda afoot given that Doyle, Jivani, Bendixen & Michaels all left around the same time?

Last edited by g121 (February 1, 2022 12:00 pm)

February 1, 2022 2:33 pm  #10

It's hard to tell what Bell is up to specifically regarding cost cutting and Jamil Jivani. But it's odd, considering John Moore always referred to him on air as one of the station's "up and coming radio personalities" and said he had a great future. That radio future is now apparently in his past. 

I tuned into Jivani's show from time to time and regardless of your political leanings, he was certainly an unusual change. A black conservative is not someone you hear from often on Toronto airwaves. He was an openly vocal opponent of Black Lives Matter and accused the group of rampant corruption, along with politicians acceding to their every whim in the name of political correctness. That's a view you aren't likely to encounter often from a member of the black community. 

He also used to warn against the "-isms" and the "-obias," meaning terms like racism and Islamophobia. While he certainly acknowledged both exist, his message seemed to be that those odious beliefs were often being applied to people who didn't deserve them, as a means of weaponizing the terms.

Jivani came to the station with a pretty good pedigree - a Yale University law degree and a sitting member of the Premier's Council on Equality of Opportunity, among others. He was hired and given a show of his own nationwide for his opinions. It's terribly ironic then, that he claims those very opinions are what allegedly got him thrown off the air. 

February 1, 2022 4:01 pm  #11

A talk show host with diversity of thought? Heresy! When will they learn - we must all think the same. Where were the thought police on this case?

Last edited by Dale Patterson (February 1, 2022 4:13 pm)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

February 1, 2022 4:55 pm  #12

Writing a 5 part series on your dismissal is impressive.

Took a little peak at the ratings... well... it wasn't good.

February 1, 2022 5:11 pm  #13

RadioActive wrote:

It's hard to tell what Bell is up to specifically regarding cost cutting and Jamil Jivani. But it's odd, considering John Moore always referred to him on air as one of the station's "up and coming radio personalities" and said he had a great future. That radio future is now apparently in his past. 

I tuned into Jivani's show from time to time and regardless of your political leanings, he was certainly an unusual change. A black conservative is not someone you hear from often on Toronto airwaves. He was an openly vocal opponent of Black Lives Matter and accused the group of rampant corruption, along with politicians acceding to their every whim in the name of political correctness. That's a view you aren't likely to encounter often from a member of the black community. 

He also used to warn against the "-isms" and the "-obias," meaning terms like racism and Islamophobia. While he certainly acknowledged both exist, his message seemed to be that those odious beliefs were often being applied to people who didn't deserve them, as a means of weaponizing the terms.

Jivani came to the station with a pretty good pedigree - a Yale University law degree and a sitting member of the Premier's Council on Equality of Opportunity, among others. He was hired and given a show of his own nationwide for his opinions. It's terribly ironic then, that he claims those very opinions are what allegedly got him thrown off the air. 

You have to hand it to CFRB - in the name of diversity they've given daily shows to an anti-Muslim Muslim (Tarek Fatah) and an anti-BLM Black man. (Ok, they had Desmond Cole as well at one point, but he only got a weekend show). All they need is an anti-feminist woman and a homophobic gay man or lesbian and they'll be fully diverse. (Too bad Sue-Ann Levy has decamped to Florida, she'd be perfect!)

Last edited by Hansa (February 1, 2022 5:15 pm)

February 1, 2022 8:43 pm  #14

If you're right, that still doesn't explain what he claims management told him. If it were ratings, why would they not have just said that? 

February 1, 2022 9:10 pm  #15

I absolutely couldn’t stand the guy. Every show was just him exclaiming “WOKE!” and whatever right wing meme-speak was being regurgitated on Reddit and the like. I might as well have tuned into 640 if that’s what I wanted to listen to.

February 2, 2022 9:22 am  #16

John Moore has often stated that host aren't told by the brass at Bell Media what their position on any given topic should be. Depends on which time slot the host has?

February 7, 2022 1:47 pm  #17

Jamil Jivani continues with his side of what happened, including a bizarre offer of a gig posting articles for the CTV website - after he was fired!

How much of all this is true, we'll never know, unless someone from Bell comes forward.

Did Bell Media just try to buy my silence?

March 7, 2022 8:21 am  #18

Lisa Morales doing traffic this morning on CFRB