sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 30, 2022 5:41 pm  #1

WBLK Toronto Reception

I used to be able to pick up Buffalo's 93.7 WBLK daily from North York on my home radio (Sangean PR-D19), and sometimes in the car. For about 3 months (and counting), the frequency has turned to static on my Sangean, and in the car... the country station flutters through. CKOU-FM from Georgina, as I discovered from someone on this board.

I'm very curious if anyone has insight as to why WBLK's signal has dropped completely from where I am. I know I can easily hear them online, but the radio signal usually ranged from listenable, to very good, and the odd time: excellent. I've heard WBLK comes in stronger starting in Etobicoke... any difference that way lately?

January 30, 2022 10:33 pm  #2

Re: WBLK Toronto Reception

I am going to hazard a guess.  WBLK to the best of my knowledge still transmits from the Remington Rand Building at 47,000 watts.  The building is at Lafayette Square in downtown Buffalo.  They implemented HD (IBOC) a few years ago, so there may be a slight coverage decrease for their analogue signal.  But the Georgina station probably places enough RF over your location to cause some or a lot of co-channel interference to WBLK - even if you cannot clearly receive Georgina.   But the big problem is "Flow" which is 1st adjacent on 93.5 toronto. Even a Sangean radio which has better than average selectivity is going to have difficulty with a very weak station on the first adjacent frequency (93.7).  No matter where you are located,  in Toronto, you are line-of-sight to Flow, and you are literally "looking" straight to their transmitter site on FCP when you try to receive WBLK. There are other factors.   In the past 10 years, there have been several dozen buildings that are 30+ stories in height built in the downtown core, as well as west end, and along the lakeshore.  There is, pardon the expression, an "iron curtain" which causes additional mulltipath and generally plays havoc with those very weak Buffalo signals.  Weak distant signals don't penetrate those huge steel structures very well.   Think back to the 1960's.  Virtually everyone could receive Buffalo VHF stations on a very simple outdoor antenna, as well as super powered 102.5 (WBEN-FM), and 103.3 (WYSL).  But that that time we had the old Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce, I believe 1 TD tower and a couple of other tall buildings,  the King Edward Hotel, and the Royal York.  It was basically clear sailing, line of site to the Buffalo transmitters and the Remington Rand Building on Lafayette Square.   Even WADV (now WYRK) 106.5 transmitting from the same Remington Rand building,  had a reliable  signal in Toronto.  Today WYRK is gone, drowned out by Co-Channel First People's Radio on 106.5.   My last point.  I believe that CFXJ (Flow) may have been authorized to broadcast IBOC HD.  If/when that begins, WBLK will be totally obliterated because the "Flow" HD subcarriers will extend into the WBLK lower bandwidth on 93,7.  Same problem that WNED-FM 94.5 faces from Durham Radio's KX 94.7 Hamilton.  

Last edited by tvguy (January 30, 2022 10:39 pm)

January 30, 2022 10:41 pm  #3

Outside of super powered WTSS and WDCX, I have lost all Buffalo FM stations here in northern North York. Most of them used to come in like locals in the 70s and 80s. Those days are long, long gone. 

January 30, 2022 10:55 pm  #4

I am on the top of the Scarbrough Bluffs right by the lake and I haven’t been able to get WBLK at all for the last month or so. Maybe they’ve changed their signal pattern or reduced their power. WKSE comes in quite well and is often strong enough that I can listen in HD. The reception of CKIS here has also been poor for the last several weeks. Often times I can’t even lock into HD. I think there’s another signal on 92.5 that is interfering and I am not that far from downtown. Maybe they need to apply again for that power increase that was denied a couple times by the CRTC

Last edited by Hrick (January 30, 2022 10:58 pm)

January 31, 2022 1:31 am  #5

I live in WNY and I have noticed reduced strength on both WBLK and WMSX 96.1 both stations owned by Townsquare Media for a couple weeks now. Maybe they are having transmitter problems and Townsquare hasn't sent out an engineer to check. Problem with one mega company owning many radio stations.

January 31, 2022 10:09 am  #6

tvguy wrote:

I believe that CFXJ (Flow) may have been authorized to broadcast IBOC HD.  If/when that begins, WBLK will be totally obliterated because the "Flow" HD subcarriers will extend into the WBLK lower bandwidth on 93,7.  Same problem that WNED-FM 94.5 faces from Durham Radio's KX 94.7 Hamilton.  

Thanks for your detailed thoughts tvguy. I think you're onto something with the point about Flow going HD. I found it odd at first given my location, but before a few months ago I was able to receive WBLK on my Sangean with no interference from Flow, and when Georgina country would try to come in, WBLK was able to kick it out. So maybe pending HD for Flow could be what's causing this. Or as others have mentioned, a change in signal pattern/reduced power for WBLK.

January 31, 2022 10:30 am  #7

Radio.Intern wrote:

tvguy wrote:

I believe that CFXJ (Flow) may have been authorized to broadcast IBOC HD.  If/when that begins, WBLK will be totally obliterated because the "Flow" HD subcarriers will extend into the WBLK lower bandwidth on 93,7.  Same problem that WNED-FM 94.5 faces from Durham Radio's KX 94.7 Hamilton.  

Thanks for your detailed thoughts tvguy. I think you're onto something with the point about Flow going HD. I found it odd at first given my location, but before a few months ago I was able to receive WBLK on my Sangean with no interference from Flow, and when Georgina country would try to come in, WBLK was able to kick it out. So maybe pending HD for Flow could be what's causing this. Or as others have mentioned, a change in signal pattern/reduced power for WBLK.

Flow to my knowledge has not turned on their HD so it will have ZERO to do with your issue.  Flow broadcasts one knotch away from WBLK, which will always cause interferance because WBLK is a much weaker signal at this distance.   Flow also will not likely have filters on their signal to avoid interference as they would not be required to for a station that far away.  

Distant FM signals are known at this time of year to be stronger or weaker.     It happens especially with all the snow we have which fell around the same time you started experiencing issues.     As for 92.5, It could be having issues if Rochester's 92.5 is blasting in.   Sadly it's one of the reasons Rogers wanted more power. 

Last edited by radiokid (January 31, 2022 10:37 am)

January 31, 2022 11:37 am  #8

Doesn't CKIS have a signal null to the east to protect WBEE? At one time, 92.5 was my go to frequency for tropo reception. If then WMJQ was in stereo, it was going to be a good DX day.

February 1, 2022 9:11 am  #9

I've heard that FLOW will be adding HD sometime later this year.

February 1, 2022 11:04 am  #10

Star 102.5 used to be a much more clearer station here in the GTA but now its not as good as it used to be I noticed, and could be as noted with the additional buildings by the lake etc.  Fortunately it didnt stop the tv signals. 

February 1, 2022 12:00 pm  #11

I have noticed that almost all the Buffalo FM's have excellent signals in Oakville to the west and Whitby to the east. Exceptions 92.9 and 106.5. 93.7 is listenable but there is still interference from Flow which is fine for a DXer but probably quite annoying to the casual listener.

February 1, 2022 2:22 pm  #12

I am in northwestern Pickering and I can get most of the Buffalo stations. Reception is definitely better in the summer but even today most were OK.

Something is definitely up with the WBLK transmitter because as recently as November or December I remember getting them very clearly  and although I was not getting them in HD, the HD indicator was flashing.

I did a Buffalo scan today and below are the results:

1.   93.7 from 0 - 23 - no trace of WBLK only a bad signal of the Georgina station which I don't recall ever hearing before.

2.   92.9 from 24 - 217.  I was playing around with the rotar of my indoor rabbit ears and so the signal was switching between WBUF and The Grand.

3.  94.7 HD 3 - The Grand from 217 - 254 - The HD at this frequency is a hard catch for me. CKDO is strong but not this one but I got it for a few seconds with the rabbit ears hooked up to an amplifier. 

4.94.5  WNED from 255 - 312

5. 96.9 WGRQ from 313 to 355

6. 102.5 The Star from 356 - 515

7. 103.3 The Edge from 516-542

8. 104.1 WHTT from 542 - 722  - no ID

9. 92.5 -  Q 92 Rochester from 733 - 758 - I have many small snippets of the station from the 80's that I found on cassettes at a flea  market. I plan to go through the tapes and hopefully can get a decent montage and this is a small segment from one tape. I made an error and there is some duplication of stations near the end of the clip.

Suffice to say that I don't belive that builing interference etc is what is causing the WBLK disapperance at my location. Seems like the station has vanished. 

Mostly Buffalo Station Scan Feb 1   2022

Last edited by Fitz (February 1, 2022 2:37 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

February 1, 2022 3:53 pm  #13

I loved those days when we could hear American FMs clearly. I was a regular listener to WBUF, WGRQ, WPHD (Taylor and Moore!), WHTT, WYRK, 98.5 and a few others back in the '80s. Never did get WBLK clear enough and WBFO was also iffy.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

February 1, 2022 5:08 pm  #14

Dale Patterson wrote:

I loved those days when we could hear American FMs clearly. I was a regular listener to WBUF, WGRQ, WPHD (Taylor and Moore!), WHTT, WYRK, 98.5 and a few others back in the '80s. Never did get WBLK clear enough and WBFO was also iffy.

With the proper radio and antenna placement I can get of most the stations  mentioned from my location ,  as demonstrated by the clip I posted above.

There are two issues which I think have reduced the American signals. First the proliferation of Canadian signals. 106.5, 107.7 and 92.5 for example. The second reason is HD which obliterated WBFO for me. Should Flow switch to HD that could spell trouble for WBLK even if the transmitter issues were fixed. 

The main reason I don't listen to the American stations is content. I would listen to WBFO in the car and the only other station that I found vaguely interesting was the Lake at 107.7 HD2. A watered down triple A and classic rock format but still preferable to the usual classic rock and classic hits.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

February 1, 2022 9:44 pm  #15

Fitz wrote:

I am in northwestern Pickering and I can get most of the Buffalo stations. Reception is definitely better in the summer but even today most were OK.

Something is definitely up with the WBLK transmitter because as recently as November or December I remember getting them very clearly  and although I was not getting them in HD, the HD indicator was flashing.

I did a Buffalo scan today and below are the results:

1.   93.7 from 0 - 23 - no trace of WBLK only a bad signal of the Georgina station which I don't recall ever hearing before.

Mostly Buffalo Station Scan Feb 1   2022

Thanks for doing a scan, and the accompanying audio clip, Fitz. This indeed confirms my original suspicion that something is up with WBLK's signal. I hope the issue is resolved soon on their end, or at least: before Flow inevitably goes HD.

February 1, 2022 9:52 pm  #16

WBLK had quite a loyal audience in Toronto in the days before Flow and G98.7 went on the air. Here's just one example. I doubt any Toronto station ever tried to stage an event like this in Buffalo. 

February 1, 2022 9:57 pm  #17

WBLK is likely using their back-up transmitter which is very directional towards southeast and is only 4.5KW.The main transmitter is 47KW omni.So backup sends nothing to northwest.

February 1, 2022 10:58 pm  #18

"I doubt any Toronto station ever tried to stage an event like this in Buffalo."  Probably not since Buffalo is a much smaller market than Toronto, and GTA stations never focused on WNY for any revenue.

The only exception I can think of would have been CFNY which for a time was popular in Buffalo and parts of WNY since that city didn't really have a station at the time with a similar format focusing on new music.  CFNY did do live to air broadcasts from Niagara Falls NY and Buffalo in the early 90\s.

I was at a stag in Niagara back around 1992 and about twelve of us went to a large club on the US side. Much to our surprise it was 102.1 CFNY Night, they were doing a live to air broadcast at the club and the place was packed.  Just remember that the crowd and music were really loud. Wish I could remember the name of the club but it was the biggest one in Niagara Falls NY and CFNY broadcast from there on a semi regular basis on Fridays or Saturdays.  

February 4, 2022 5:00 pm  #19

Here in Hamilton (upper mountain of city). Surprised there is zero reception of WBLK or CKOU, just static.

I enjoy(ed) having 'BLK to turn to for urban programming (as 93.5 CFXJ is nulled by 93.3 CFMU)

February 8, 2022 1:56 am  #20

I'm almost wondering if WBLK is using a back-up transmitter.

I have a hard time believing I can't receive it along Hamilton mountain.

February 9, 2022 2:11 am  #21

Tim Brown 2016 wrote:

DOPEfm wrote:

I wonder if they've had a failure with the main transmitter/antenna, and because of the global supply chain issues, they're waiting an extra long time for a part to arrive. 

Good point.

I may just call the station if I get some time this week and ask.

February 16, 2022 5:02 pm  #22

I was out in Oakville today for a haircut and some car maintenance. Buffalo FM reception is normally pretty reliable there, especially near the lake. WBLK, WMSX and WNED were simply not there. Not even a sniff of a signal. 96.9. 98.5, 99.5, 102.5, 103.3 and 104.1 were all fine.

February 16, 2022 5:17 pm  #23

DOPEfm wrote:

Tim Brown 2016 wrote:

DOPEfm wrote:

I wonder if they've had a failure with the main transmitter/antenna, and because of the global supply chain issues, they're waiting an extra long time for a part to arrive. 

Good point.
Well I called WBLK today [Townsquare Media actually] and got caught in voicemail from hell. I left a message regarding their Canadian reception issues. Hopefully, I will get a response.
I may just call the station if I get some time this week and ask.

February 16, 2022 8:26 pm  #24

RadioActive wrote:

Outside of super powered WTSS and WDCX, I have lost all Buffalo FM stations here in northern North York. Most of them used to come in like locals in the 70s and 80s. Those days are long, long gone. 

It should be noted that WBUF/92.9 is also a super-powered station, broadcasting at 76 KW(it had been at 92 KW years ago, but when they moved their antenna they reduced their power). Ditto WNED/94.5; it's at 94 KW(and like WBUF it was at one point more powerful(at 104 kW), but they also reduced power when their broadcast tower had to undergo structural modifications.