sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 27, 2022 3:25 pm  #1

WNIC Detroit Set Ratings Record

A/C/ outlet WNIC Detroit set a ratings record in December with their Christmas music during the holiday season.  From December 9 to January 5th the station had a 18.8 share and for the December total 16.8.  Ratings like this have not been seen in Detroit for 50 years since the days of CKLW or WJR. 

WNIC in regular programming pulls in a much smaller share, 4.4 to 5.9 in September/October 2021. Many Christmas music stations in the US showed growth with the format this year.  I am not aware of anything in Toronto ever coming close to this volatility in ratings. 
https://radioinsight.com/ratings/detroit/ 

January 27, 2022 4:43 pm  #2

Re: WNIC Detroit Set Ratings Record

It's kind of a once-a-year inconvenient truth for whoever is ultimately responsible for the regular ratings for that station - any arguments about signal, PPM, awareness, etc go right out the window. 

Maybe it's just not an AC market (The Adult R&B is usually #1), but still...awkward.  

January 28, 2022 9:51 am  #3

Actually, WOMC and WCSX traded the #1 and #2 spots back and forth between August and November.

January 28, 2022 11:01 am  #4

In the Radio insights ratings section, I discovered a Canadian section for Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa, Montreal [English/French] and Toronto. At the bottom of the Fall 2021 Toronto numbers there is an interesting note that CFTR's 9.4 share was their best since 1975.

January 28, 2022 11:43 am  #5

mace wrote:

In the Radio insights ratings section, I discovered a Canadian section for Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa, Montreal [English/French] and Toronto. At the bottom of the Fall 2021 Toronto numbers there is an interesting note that CFTR's 9.4 share was their best since 1975.

That's something that is never brought up here when people are moaning about the state of Newstalk 1010 and AM 640.  We tend to leave the all news station out of the equation.  CFTR with it's long running all news format performs very well in the GTA and has for decades. 

In addition to this CBC Radio 1 which is heavy public affairs/news/information is usually number one in the market. So it could be that the real problem for both Newstalk 1010 and AM 640 is the simple fact that most of the potential audience is already being served by two other stations.  1010 and 640 basically fight for what is left over and a lot of people don't necessarily like or will listen to talk opinion radio which both of these stations have become.   

January 28, 2022 11:46 am  #6

I tune in 680 occasionally for a quick hit of headlines. The problem is it tends to be the same thing over and over and over again every hour until something changes. (Although I suppose you could say the same thing about both 1010 and 640!)

January 28, 2022 12:14 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

I tune in 680 occasionally for a quick hit of headlines. The problem is it tends to be the same thing over and over and over again every hour until something changes. (Although I suppose you could say the same thing about both 1010 and 640!)

If you listen to CFTR beyond the headlines/weather and traffic they actually have a lot of content over the hour.  One thing they handle very well is their commercial load.  I have never found that CFTR sounds overly cluttered with commercials.  Since they have a great hourly clock format all the commercials run on time and are spaced evenly throughout. 

mace was right, CFTR had a great book last rating.  In fact they had the highest daily cume in Toronto with 628,000 listeners every day.  Newstalk 1010 came in with 202 thousand and AM 640 117 thousand.  It is pretty obvious that people listening in their car much prefer a live news station over mostly talk and opinion radio.  And as mentioned earlier since Radio 1 also has good numbers, means there isn't that much left over for RB and AM 640. 

January 28, 2022 3:14 pm  #8

paterson1 wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

If you listen to CFTR beyond the headlines/weather and traffic they actually have a lot of content over the hour.  One thing they handle very well is their commercial load.  I have never found that CFTR sounds overly cluttered with commercials.  Since they have a great hourly clock format all the commercials run on time and are spaced evenly throughout. 

mace was right, CFTR had a great book last rating.  In fact they had the highest daily cume in Toronto with 628,000 listeners every day.  Newstalk 1010 came in with 202 thousand and AM 640 117 thousand.  It is pretty obvious that people listening in their car much prefer a live news station over mostly talk and opinion radio.  And as mentioned earlier since Radio 1 also has good numbers, means there isn't that much left over for RB and AM 640. 

I heartily concur with your point about their commercial load and how they play it out. Rarely more than 60 secs. of spots before some other feature. Helps keep you from tuning out. I really like that versus the endless four-five minute commercial breaks other stations do, which simply drive me away from them to someone with actual content. 

Less sure about all the great content you refer to. I can't recall ever having listened to 680 for more than about 15 minutes at a time. (They generally lose me around the sports report.) Even their own on-air promos acknowledge few stay with it for long. ("Tune in 3, 4, 5 times a day...") That's typical of a news wheel and it's specifically designed that way. I wonder what their quarter hour TSL numbers are like. 

January 28, 2022 4:10 pm  #9

Never said they had great content.  Simply said they had a lot of content over the hour which they do.  News, weather, sports, traffic, business, entertainment, lifestyle, feature reporting are some that come to mind.  Average number of listeners per minute is high, with over 23,000.  So time spent listening is likely decent as well.  CFTR is only behind Radio 1 and BOOM in the average listeners per minute. 

Last edited by paterson1 (January 28, 2022 4:12 pm)