sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 25, 2022 10:20 am  #1

The Top 3 Most Annoying Radio Ads Now Running

This comes up from time to time here (often led by yours truly!) and while I'm grateful there are sponsors still supporting local radio, sometimes (with apologies to Marshall McLuhan) their message misses the medium. Here are my top three tune outs.

3) The Lotto 649 commercial, featuring that annoying idiot telling everyone to go "the yoga mat, please." I cannot turn this one off fast enough. It is beyond irritating, but at least I know what they're selling. The same cannot be said for the top two.

2) I have to admit I have no idea what the second one is actually selling or even the name of the sponsor, which is how badly it fails. But it's the one where the guy takes a taste of his coffee to determine if it's non-caffeinated or not, only to exclaim that it's not after a single sip. That's the only thing about the spot I remember, which speaks volumes about the message. I don't drink coffee, so I'm not sure - can you tell from one sip if it's decaffeinated or not? Either way, it rubs me the wrong way. 

1) The top most annoying ad currently running for me is for a company called Mail Chimp. It involves someone singing improvised words to a famous opera piece, and I cannot understand a single word the guy with the deep profundo bass voice is crooning. As a result, despite the fact it airs almost every break on nearly every station, I still have no clue exactly what this company does. Nor do I care. This spot is not only annoying, it utterly fails to get its message across. So it's a complete disaster on two counts. 

I think we're stuck with the Lotto spot, which has been running incessantly for what feels like an eternity, but I hope the other two have only bought air time for short campaigns. They're all tune outs. And frankly, I'm not sure exactly how they were ever approved by the clients. 

Hey, but at least they're good for exercise. They send me running to the dial to change the station every time they air.

January 25, 2022 10:53 am  #2

Re: The Top 3 Most Annoying Radio Ads Now Running

grilled.cheese wrote:

Just seeing the still image, made the annoying tune pop into my head.

January 25, 2022 11:25 am  #3

Mailchimp is an email blast service... my previous employer occasionally used it, esp. when the "Promosuite" system they had been using was no longer sufficient.  As for the lotteries, it seems like OLG runs ads in one form or another during almost every break on Global, or even in-show... most noticeable on my wife's recordings of The Young And The Restless.

January 25, 2022 11:42 am  #4

grilled.cheese wrote:

I LOVE THIS SONG!!!!  I do not own a car.
My Presto card gets me where I need to go but thanks anyway.  
(I'm not the only listener with that opinion either!)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 25, 2022 11:51 am  #5

Spence Diamonds.  I listen to both NewsTalk1010 & GNR640.  This stupid commercial is played sometimes up to three times an hour.  I can't stand it.

They are also longer than the regular thirty-second spots, which is quite annoying to begin with.

January 25, 2022 12:15 pm  #6

Definitely Spence Diamonds. 

January 25, 2022 12:22 pm  #7

I hate the Spence spots as well, but at least they occasionally alter them so you don't always hear the same ones. (But that yelling at the end will always be irritating.) 

As for Kars for Kids, there is a definite earworm factor at play, and these things were running in the U.S. long before the charity ever hit Canada. So anyone who's DXed a station will likely have been putting up with them for a very long time. Still, I will give them credit for one thing - everybody knows the song and the spot, so as nauseously repetitious as they can be, at least you remember them. Which is exactly what a spot is supposed to do, even if it drives you crazy. (Or is that Krazy?)