sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 22, 2022 8:02 pm  #1

A Long Lost Cancon Gem That Hardly Anyone Knows. Remember This?

Here is a song that was played in the KW area back in 1971 (CJOY and CHYM), in Montreal/Ottawa (minor hit) and pockets out west especially Winnipeg.  I remember Grantly on Canadian Bandstand playing the song a fair bit on CKCO TV.

Odd that this single was a production of MUCH Records and released twice on the CHUM owned label.  I don't believe CHUM radio ever gave the song any serious airplay, never heard it on 1050 CHUM. When you listen you will wonder why it didn't get a lot of airplay.

We're Dancin' Til It Blows Over by Second Helping.  Michel Pagliaro co-writer, guitar and lead vocals.

Anyone remember this rockin little cancon gem?  Note the song was also released as an import for RCA in the UK.  This was the second version and was also released on MUCH Records here in Canada. 
https://www.yout-ube.com/watch?v=frrBluXZGZE

Last edited by paterson1 (January 22, 2022 8:05 pm)

January 22, 2022 8:20 pm  #2

Re: A Long Lost Cancon Gem That Hardly Anyone Knows. Remember This?

Sounds good. Shoulda been a hit!

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

January 22, 2022 9:22 pm  #3

Andy Frost used to play Pagliaro regularly on Psyche Sunday and had this been a hit he might have played it more than any other Pagliaro track or maybe even if he knew about it he might have played it to fulfill cancon.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

January 23, 2022 1:15 pm  #4

Yes Fitz it would have fit right in on Q for Psychedelic. Sunday, but I am not sure anyone ever played the song in Toronto.  I do remember it sounded great on AM radio.  It had regional airplay and charted in a few markets.   The version featured above was actually the one that did get the radio play in 1971/72..The original from 1970 which has the same vocals, lacks the phasing and the guitar hook. 

We're Dancing was the second release in 1970 for the new MUCH label which was owned by CHUM.  As far as I can tell CHUM didn't play the song, or if they did very limited airplay.  They may have had concerns about showing favour to songs and artists from their own record company.

January 23, 2022 1:32 pm  #5

I was living in K-W and going to high school during this time. Would listen to Grantly's Saturday night show on CKKW 1320 as he didn't take over the records as much as other guys. It was a good show to record all the top tunes with my trusty cassette recorder. I even won a couple of albums. But, I do not recall this song. Thanks for posting it.

January 23, 2022 1:55 pm  #6

paterson1 wrote:

Here is a song that was played in the KW area back in 1971 (CJOY and CHYM), in Montreal/Ottawa (minor hit) and pockets out west especially Winnipeg.  I remember Grantly on Canadian Bandstand playing the song a fair bit on CKCO TV.

Odd that this single was a production of MUCH Records and released twice on the CHUM owned label.  I don't believe CHUM radio ever gave the song any serious airplay, never heard it on 1050 CHUM. When you listen you will wonder why it didn't get a lot of airplay.

We're Dancin' Til It Blows Over by Second Helping.  Michel Pagliaro co-writer, guitar and lead vocals.

Anyone remember this rockin little cancon gem?  Note the song was also released as an import for RCA in the UK.  This was the second version and was also released on MUCH Records here in Canada. 
https://www.yout-ube.com/watch?v=frrBluXZGZE

It's before my time but it does CLEARLY have an amazing CHUM feel to it. 
Sounds like the Chum Jocks of the day would have LOVED to have hit a post with it, given the (18 second) chance!

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 23, 2022 2:20 pm  #7

Speaking of rarely heard CanCon, here's one that did get some airplay in 1977, but not enough. In fact, the first time I ever heard it was just a few years ago, long after it made a small chart impression then seemingly disappeared into obscurity. Teaze was formed in Windsor and released four albums, but this was their only charted single. 

January 23, 2022 4:15 pm  #8

I don't recognize either song, but I do like them.

January 23, 2022 6:52 pm  #9

I interviewed Teaze when working at CKPR in Thunder Bay and we did play and chart Sweet Misery.  They were on a cross Canada tour opening for Triumph.  Teaze was huge in Japan, even recorded a live album from a Japanese tour. Sweet Misery wasn't really indicative of their sound, they were a rock band first but still would slip in some ballads.  George Lagios produced Sweet Misery and George also produced much of Pagliaro's material. 

January 24, 2022 12:58 pm  #10

"Sweet Misery" charted on the CKOC All Hit 40 back in 1978. I don't know how high it reached, but I seem to recall it was a fairly good-sized hit and got a lots of airplay. Although mass success eluded them in North America, Teaze did enjoy some success in Japan when they toured there briefly, as paterson1 noted. Their live album, Tour of Japan, capitalized on that success there. Myles Goodwyn of April Wine (who were also labelmates on Aquarius Records) produced one their albums, One Night Stands, in 1979.

According to Wikipedia, the band split up in 1981 but reformed in 2019 and were planning on doing a tour of Europe in 2020, which I'm guessing didn't materialize due to COVID.

PJ

Last edited by Paul Jeffries (January 24, 2022 1:33 pm)

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

January 24, 2022 3:41 pm  #11

Maybo wrote:

I was living in London at the time and definitely remember hearing this song. Would have likely been on either CJOE or CHLO.

Yes radio in London did play Second Helping, a radio colleague of mine that still lives there said he recognized the song from early 70's London radio.  And CHLO back then would play some heavier cuts or album tracks mixed in with the top 40. This single with the flip side I Want to Turn You On was the only material I am aware of from Second Helping.  Pagliaro already had his own releases happening with the label at the same time.