sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 20, 2022 1:29 am  #1

Hey RadioWiz

Music is subjective. We are not all supposed to like the same thing. I've spent a lifetime proving that. :-) However I found your comments compelling.

With that in mind what do you think of this song by the same artist.....?

January 20, 2022 1:53 am  #2

Re: Hey RadioWiz

Much better. Great song. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 20, 2022 6:32 pm  #3

Radiowiz wrote:

Much better. Great song. 

I agree. But - why would radio across Canada not consider playing this? I always thought the Can/Con percentages were meant to help and give exposure to new artists. Why then do some radio stations in Canada fulfill their commitment by playing only old stuff. 

If their format dictates a decade or two I understand - but there are many stations playing old Can/Con up against new releases from other countries. Programmers and Management should be trusting the person they appointed as Music Director. 

Or perhaps they prefer online creative internet radio/streams keep building as each day passes. :-)

There is so much increasingly great Can/Con being missed. Perhaps there is a need to start seeing the Con/Con rules through positive eyes.  

Just a few thoughts on a Thursday afternoon...

January 20, 2022 7:53 pm  #4

Marsden wrote:

Or perhaps they prefer online creative internet radio/streams keep building as each day passes. :-)

Speaking of streaming, this group has 125 monthly listeners on Spotify, their top streamed song has 7k streams, and this song doesn't have enough streams to even have a number listed.

Is radio really "missing" this? It has no hit potential. If you'd played it for me without saying it was current, I would have guessed that it peaked at #35 on AOR in 1984.

If their format dictates a decade or two I understand - but there are many stations playing old Can/Con up against new releases from other countries.

Every station in Toronto that plays current music has more than 35% of their current music playlist composed of Cancon.

Last edited by RadioAaron (January 20, 2022 8:07 pm)

January 21, 2022 2:47 am  #6

There are lots of Canadian artists that don't seem to be getting any radio attention.
Look at Dragonette! It took her teaming up with Martin Solvieg to get noticed. (Hello) 
There are still several songs of hers that remain ignored by the radio, even though she is Canadian. 

Perhaps the key to getting noticed is to team up with someone...but who? 

January 21, 2022 4:24 am  #7

NYTheSpirit.com is in it's 8th year. I can see from that, what's happening. And where the audience is coming/going.....and I really wish the daily growth was happening for radio also. And there are still those in radio who look to the future. While I can't give names here, they talk to me about that future.

Radio has always been my friend. I don't want to see it waste away. But - ask most folks under the age of 30 if they have a radio.....if they do - do they ever turn it on? 

Last edited by Marsden (January 24, 2022 3:07 pm)

January 21, 2022 4:54 am  #8

Marsden wrote:

Radio has always been my friend. I don't want to see it waste away. But - ask most folks under the age of 30 if they have a radio.....

I never ask if they have a radio anymore.
I now only ask if they listen to the radio. 
That way, instead of getting a response like "No I don't need a radio, I just listen to my Smartphone for stuff".
I tend to get a much better response like "Yes, I listen on my smartphone...I like (place station name here)"