sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 10, 2022 8:17 pm  #1

CBC Advertising on CTV

Watching the local CTV Kitchener 6pm news package this evening I noticed a 30 second ad for CBC's new shows in January.  The ad (Hello featuring the song by Dragonette) is also currently on CBC News Network and CBC itself but was surprised it was on during the CTV Kitchener newscast.   Also last week Breakfast Television City TV had a 10 minute interview with Mark Critch prior to the debut of Son of Critch.  BT host Dina Pugliese kept raving how much she loved the show during the interview. The days of never speaking of the competition are long gone.

January 10, 2022 8:50 pm  #2

Re: CBC Advertising on CTV

paterson1 wrote:

Watching the local CTV Kitchener 6pm news package this evening I noticed a 30 second ad for CBC's new shows in January.  The ad (Hello featuring the song by Dragonette) is also currently on CBC News Network and CBC itself but was surprised it was on during the CTV Kitchener newscast.   Also last week Breakfast Television City TV had a 10 minute interview with Mark Critch prior to the debut of Son of Critch.  BT host Dina Pugliese kept raving how much she loved the show during the interview. The days of never speaking of the competition are long gone.

Maybe the days of never advertising on your competitor are done   Network talk shows, at least in the US, have long interviewed celebrities appearing on "another network". The Tonight Show certainly had guests from rival network's TV shows in Carson's era and ever since - same with the Late Show and Kimmel and the various other network late night sows over the years (Brokaw, who is a friend of David Letterman's, was a guest on the Late Show) and I think the same has been the case for morning shows but I'm less sure about that. I don't actually remember if this has usually happened in Canada. Bullard's CTV late night show used to have CBC celebs on from time to time, didn't it? Don't remember if CBC stars ever appeared on Canada AM etc or BT etc or vice versa before the Critch example above. 

Last edited by Hansa (January 10, 2022 8:51 pm)

January 10, 2022 8:54 pm  #3

paterson1 wrote:

Mark Critch also got interviewed last week on The Morning Show on Global.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (January 10, 2022 8:54 pm)

January 10, 2022 9:23 pm  #4

Both ET Canada and ETalk have long had features of shows from the other network, that is nothing new.  It was more the advertising of CBC's new year prime time line up and shows that caught my interest.  And in the same cluster were two ads for CTV programming.

CTV has at least one promo in every commercial break for one of their many networks and programming.  It is odd that they haven't been promoting their new original sitcom Kids Ruin Everything that much, or at least I haven't seen much promotion for this new show.  It debuts this Wednesday and I thought they would pull all the stops out to promote this, but not that I have seen.  Other than Transplant, CTV does a poor job of promoting original programming.  

January 10, 2022 9:50 pm  #5

There was an odd American example of this I saw the other day. USA Networks, a cable station down south, just bought the exclusive rerun rights for 9-1-1, the hit series that airs on FOX. I saw an ad on NBC touting the show on USA, both of which are owned by NBCUniversal, but it had the weird effect of also plugging a primetime show of one of its competitors, a program that's still very much a hit and on the air opposite NBC on Monday night. 

Not often you see the Peacock accidentally promoting a Fox.

January 10, 2022 10:18 pm  #6

grilled.cheese wrote:

I have heard advertisements for the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation on CFMJ in the past.

Yes I have heard CBC TV ads on both CFMJ and CFRB for their prime time programming.   And CHFI advertises semi regularly on CBC television Toronto. This could be a contra deal however.

January 11, 2022 11:39 am  #7

I remember in the 90s and 2000s, commercials for CBC Regional Radio (not TV) would run on the private TV stations.    I thought that seemed fairly normal.

January 11, 2022 2:31 pm  #8

ED1 wrote:

I remember in the 90s and 2000s, commercials for CBC Regional Radio (not TV) would run on the private TV stations.    I thought that seemed fairly normal.

More recently I remember seeing commercials for Metro Morning on non-CBC TV in Toronto. This was back in 2015-16.

January 19, 2022 7:49 pm  #9

Just heard an ad tag on one of GNR640's traffic reports, a Corus station. 

It was for Bell Let's Talk Day.