sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 11, 2022 5:34 pm  #1

Dumpster Diving So to Speak

This past summer I was taking a walk and saw these Realistic Optimus - 5 B speakers left curbside for garbage pick up. I went back and loaded them in my trunk.

The cabinets need some work and there is a nick of about 1 and half inches long on one of them. The grills are a bit bent and there seems to be coaster stains on the top of one speaker. Not too bad over-all though.

Anyway I did not test them until this week and to me they sound quite good. I recorded the sample below . Used a cassette deck to record from a prerecorded reel to reel. I used two external mics to get the stereo effect. Used normal bias tape with no Dolby.

There's not really an easy way that I can think of anyway to capture speaker sound for others to hear on the internet. The method I used reminds me of when people would use external mics to record TV when there were no audio outs on the TV.

I posted about the speakers on a audio site and they got mixed reviews. Some saying that Realistic products are crap and I may be better off throwing them curbside again. While others said that these particular speakers are somewhat unsung heroes in the audio world.

My favorite comment was this:

FuzzyNightmares said: 
Seems like something I’d do, then promptly get in trouble with the wife and have to put them back on the side of the road..

to which someone replied:

I got to the point where I left the wife curbside and drove off with the speakers. Life has been much easier ever since!

Optimus - B Sound sample

The sample  does not do justice to the sound as they are better sounding than heard on the sample.

Another intersting comment:

So good, they're guaranteed forever!"

Last edited by Fitz (January 11, 2022 5:59 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

January 11, 2022 7:12 pm  #2

Re: Dumpster Diving So to Speak

Fitz wrote:

This past summer I was taking a walk and saw these Realistic Optimus - 5 B speakers left curbside for garbage pick up. I went back and loaded them in my trunk.

Nice find Fitz

I had a pair of these in the late 70's as I recall.  I bought them mainly for the larger size woofer.  I blew a tweeter in one of them.

There were "OK" but not great.  Easily surpassed today with mini-speakers that (amazingly) far out perform them in a much smaller space.

January 11, 2022 7:45 pm  #3

...and Bell is honouring that lifetime Radio Shack guarantee...?   Right...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 11, 2022 7:55 pm  #4

I'm keeping them for now and the price was right. All these years later perhaps they knew what they were doing with that warranty.

Cool Airchecks and More:

January 12, 2022 3:59 am  #5

i own a pair (purchased in the 70's). right now they are sitting in heir original boxes in my garage. overall, good speakers.

January 12, 2022 9:11 am  #6

Fitz: If you are satisfied with the way these speakers sound, that is all that matters. My AR 14 speakers are 43 years old now. When I upgraded my entertainment system four years ago, I had the original speaker wire replaced. What an improvement!

January 12, 2022 1:46 pm  #7

If they sound OK, keep them if you have room.  You might need them or someone else might.
Owner of 7 pairs of vintage speakers here, 3 of those being RS Minimus 7s. 

January 12, 2022 4:52 pm  #8

I may indeed keep them for a while or longer. I am happy with them for now and hope they don't develop a problem with use.

I recorded another sample. Track list is more recent songs than the first one I recorded. 1997, 1970 and 2007. The last track is the most recent and may sound best quality-wise.
Speaker Test CD to R to R
This time I recorded from CD to Reel to reel with external mics.

Last edited by Fitz (January 12, 2022 5:00 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:

January 15, 2022 1:06 pm  #9

A lot of Radio Shack's "Realistic" branded offerings were under-appreciated at the time. Today, their Mach One, Minimus 7 and some other speakers  are well regarded. Some Realistic receivers are quite collectable with the high powered units selling at fairly high prices.

January 16, 2022 9:24 pm  #10

Back in the day, we'd refer to Radio Shack as Radio Scrap but it was done with affection.