sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 13, 2022 12:49 pm  #1

TV Ratings Dec 27-Jan 2

The week after Christmas and over the New Year usually is one of the lowest for TV ratings.  The exception would be in Quebec where television ratings go through the roof. So strong were the numbers that technically five of the top ten shows in Canada were from Quebec. Radio Canada's satire Bye Bye 2021 came in number one with an astounding 4.8 million viewers for the live show at 11pm New Years Eve and another 970 thousand for the encore on January 1. 

The lead up four shows on the network beginning at 8:30pm all rated higher than the number one show in English Canada with The Rookie on CTV at 1.6 million viewers. Infoman, another comedy program at 10pm had 3.6 million viewers and another 785 thousand the next evening for the encore.  

Bill Brioux has more on this and the top ten Dec 27-Jan 2/22
https://brioux.tv/blog/2022/01/11/bye-bye-2021-draws-close-to-5-million-in-quebec-to-close-the-year/    

Last edited by paterson1 (January 13, 2022 12:51 pm)

January 13, 2022 1:42 pm  #2

Re: TV Ratings Dec 27-Jan 2

What Brioux doesn't say is that while the "Bye Bye" (isn't that an English expression?) specials always do well in Quebec, this year, there may have been another reason for the numbers. The province is under a very strict curfew and there was nowhere for residents to go on N.Y.'s Eve, except to their TV screens. So while the numbers are impressive, it helps when you literally have a captive audience!

And yes, there were other specials to watch, but Quebec tends to be insular in that way and staunchly supports their own, unlike much of the rest of Canada. If things change for the better COVID-wise by next Dec. 31st, I suspect it will still do well, but I would be very surprised if they could get that same staggering figure again. 

January 13, 2022 3:14 pm  #3

This article from the Gazette talks about the added boost the show would have received by the curfew and the producers weren't surprised by this.  People had no where to go, so they watched television. 

However the increase is fairly minimal since the show was already receiving ratings of over 4 million prior to COVID.  In 2018 for example Bye Bye attracted 4.41 million for the first run of the show on New Years Eve.  I wonder if Numeris counts any ratings from francophone areas in the rest of the country.  I know it won't be a lot but there would be some viewership in the Ottawa area, New Brunswick and Northern Ontario, a bit in western Canada.  

Radio Canada had 7 of the top 10 shows last week in Quebec and as mentioned before, 5 of these would have been the top 5 shows in all of Canada based on the rating numbers.
https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/this-years-bye-bye-was-the-top-rated-show-in-quebec-tv-history 

January 13, 2022 6:34 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

What Brioux doesn't say is that while the "Bye Bye" (isn't that an English expression?). 

Are you looking for a job with the language police?   It's Franglais, like "Bonjour Hi" or "le shopping" 

January 13, 2022 6:42 pm  #5

Hansa wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

What Brioux doesn't say is that while the "Bye Bye" (isn't that an English expression?). 

Are you looking for a job with the language police?   It's Franglais, like "Bonjour Hi" or "le shopping" 

God forbid. It's just that Quebec is such a stickler for French, that letting anything English sneak in - especially in their media - seems unbelievable to me. And didn't they recently launch an all-out campaign to try and ban "Bonjour Hi?" Sacre bleu!

January 13, 2022 6:57 pm  #6

Câlice tabarnak... maudit! Or on a Habs game on RDS, "stoppé la rondelle!"

(Wife was raised in QC's Pontiac region... Anglo family, and is an elementary French teacher.)

January 13, 2022 7:21 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

Hansa wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

God forbid. It's just that Quebec is such a stickler for French, that letting anything English sneak in - especially in their media - seems unbelievable to me. And didn't they recently launch an all-out campaign to try and ban "Bonjour Hi?" Sacre bleu!

Fortunately, broadcasting is in the federal domain so I don't think there's much the Quebec government can do to regulate on-air language and content. I guess they can complain to the CRTC but the CRTC would only enforce the Official Languages Act, not Bill 101 and the Official Languages Act doesn't try to profess what is and isn't acceptable French vocabulary. 

January 13, 2022 8:15 pm  #8

True, but the originating network can choose whatever title they want, regardless of what the government rules are.  Why they picked "Bye Bye," you'd have to ask them. Tout alors.

January 13, 2022 9:39 pm  #9

I think "bye bye" is one of those universal sayings that you would hear francophones use in Quebec.  I think RA is making an issue where non exists.  Is "okay" an english term?  French Canadians use this all the time.  The most popular weekly show in Quebec is District 31.

If you watch any Quebec TV or listen to french top 40 radio, announcers speak in english a fair bit.  If only to say what songs they have played, 40% of their music is english and some stations are all english music overnight.

Listening to NRJ radio in Gatineau a few years back, two announcers were having a funny disagreement in french on air....All of a sudden the one jock said to the other..."give it a rest Peter"...  Pierre (Peter) then started to really laugh and told the other to "shut the hell up"  then they both were laughing and into a song.  Don't really know what they were talking about but it sounded like they were having a lot of fun on air.