sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 12, 2021 9:04 am  #1

Dave Trafford Leaving CFRB Weekend Morning Show

The veteran CFRB host and newsman announced on Sunday morning that next week's show - Dec. 18th & 19th - would be his last as host of the weekend morning show on 1010. He told his audience that his other projects had kept him working seven days a week and while he didn't use the term, it was clear he was burned out. 

But his departure doesn't mean he's leaving the station entirely. He'll still be on Friday's morning Roundtable, and promises he's planning a future show that may not demand so much of his time. 

He told station management last September that the week before Christmas would be his last and he vows to have "fun" with his final show next week. 

He would not divulge who's taking the spot, although he clearly knows. He believes that revelation is for the station to make. 

Trafford has been doing weekends for the past four years.

December 12, 2021 9:26 am  #2

Re: Dave Trafford Leaving CFRB Weekend Morning Show

RadioActive wrote:

The veteran CFRB host and newsman announced on Sunday morning that next week's show - Dec. 18th & 19th - would be his last as host of the weekend morning show on 1010. He told his audience that his other projects had kept him working seven days a week and while he didn't use the term, it was clear he was burned out. 

I very much enjoy Dave .. he has excellent presence & obviously puts a lot a effort into his work.  Listening to all his projects on-the-go, all-the-time, I've often marveled how he does it & how he doesn't indeed, "burn out".  A job well, well done Dave .. enjoy your wee work slow down & do indeed take some time off! : )) .. 

December 12, 2021 9:42 am  #3

Which leads to speculation about who the replacement could be. They have a history of appointing veteran broadcasters in that slot - including Ted Woloshyn and John Donabie. I wonder if there are any well-known part-timers out there looking to keep their hand in the biz for two days a week? (I'm looking at you, Peter Shurman!)

Anyone you'd like to see (hear?) 

December 12, 2021 12:26 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

Which leads to speculation about who the replacement could be. They have a history of appointing veteran broadcasters in that slot - including Ted Woloshyn and John Donabie. I wonder if there are any well-known part-timers out there looking to keep their hand in the biz for two days a week? (I'm looking at you, Peter Shurman!)

Anyone you'd like to see
(hear?) 

Peter Shurman for sure.
Would really really love to hear Mike Stafford again, but..snowballs chance

December 12, 2021 1:00 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

Which leads to speculation about who the replacement could be. 

1) Maybe longtime favorites with the show's demographic The Motts? Trafford took over for them after they wanted to devote more time to their horse activities, although with the pandemic they'd made an appearance with Jim Richards talking about a downturn - they might be willing to do it remotely.

2) Larry Fedoruk? The Motts replaced him in that role. Unfortunately tossed aside by Bell from his longtime CKTB gig, but might do this in a contractor type role?

3) Jason Agnew, who is the designated fill-in host while Trafford was away? Quite the marathon "6 hours of Agnew" on Sunday mornings if he keeps his trivia show block - or maybe that trivia show goes to someone else.

4) As others mentioned above, would love to hear the Peter Shurman pipes in this slot, too!

December 12, 2021 7:00 pm  #6

Michael Coren v.2.0?

December 12, 2021 7:03 pm  #7

Ryan Doyle??

January 7, 2022 9:34 pm  #8

It's entirely possible a new 1010 weekend host will be unveiled in the weeks to come, but as of now, 1010's schedule shows the following - on Saturday, a re-roll of a Dave Kaufman program for the first hour, then a 2 hour simulcast block of "CP24 Morning". Sunday morning is similar, but "The Best of John Moore" then that 2 hour "CP24 Morning" block. Disappointing - a live weekend radio voice for a market as large as the GTA would seem pretty important. Granted, I get they have to leverage their talent and shows across multiple mediums, but might the long tradition of a live 1010 weekend morning man be finally done?

Saturday:

Sunday:

January 8, 2022 8:14 am  #9

A dead station is a dead station.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 8, 2022 11:24 am  #10

Yes, it seems like it is becoming a dead station.  Now I only listen to John Moore and The Rush.  Too many changes!