sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 28, 2021 8:38 pm  #1

NFL Coach And Broadcaster John Madden Gone At 85

He was a colourful coach and an analyst for NFL broadcasts on CBS, NBC and ABC, as well as having his name immortalized on a famous video game. John Madden was 85.

John Madden, Hall of Fame coach and broadcaster, dies at 85

December 29, 2021 10:20 am  #2

Re: NFL Coach And Broadcaster John Madden Gone At 85

On Christmas Day, FOX aired an excellent 2 hour documentary on Madden. It covered his life, coaching, broadcasting, video game and advertising careers. Plenty of interviews with family, former and current players, coaches and broadcasters. After it ended, I thought, at 85. I wonder how much time "Coach' as he was often referred to,  has left on this earth. As it turned out, not much.

December 29, 2021 11:20 am  #3

mace wrote:

On Christmas Day, FOX aired an excellent 2 hour documentary on Madden. It covered his life, coaching, broadcasting, video game and advertising careers. Plenty of interviews with family, former and current players, coaches and broadcasters. After it ended, I thought, at 85. I wonder how much time "Coach' as he was often referred to,  has left on this earth. As it turned out, not much.

The FOX show was one of the first things that came to mind on hearing of Madden's passing. Evidently, he and
his family got to see it.

December 29, 2021 8:27 pm  #4

Well, here's an incredible bit of trivia I never heard before. John Madden had been offered the role of Coach on the TV classic "Cheers," but he turned it down. The role of Ernie Pantusso went to the late Nick Colasanto instead. Madden would later say he couldn't stand the slow pace of TV production so he said no. 

John Madden Was Glad He Passed On the Coach Ernie Pantusso Role in ‘Cheers’

December 29, 2021 9:49 pm  #5

https://theboot.com/dolly-parton-bus-john-madden/

She doesn't just donate millions of books for children's literacy and fund a life saving vaccine in the middle of a pandemic, not to mention star with Sylvester Stallone in "Rhinestone", one of the best heart of gold low budget B movies ever made.

It turns out Dolly Parton's tour bus changed John Madden's life.

Last edited by betaylored (December 29, 2021 9:50 pm)