sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 22, 2021 12:07 pm  #1

MOVE re-moves!!!

Driving around today listening to MOVE in Ottawa.  And when "The Christmas Song," by Nat Cole came on, I noticed something.
They removed the line "And folks dressed up like Eskimos."
I wish they wouldn't do that.
Just don't play the song!!!
Merry Christmas to all and Happy Holidays too!!!

December 22, 2021 12:19 pm  #2

Re: MOVE re-moves!!!

Are they still playing "Baby It's Cold Outside," or is that last year's (well, 2018 actually) scandalous politically incorrect Xmas song?

December 22, 2021 12:39 pm  #3

As i think Move is programmed the same as the others, I would think it's the same on all bell stations under that brand name.

December 22, 2021 12:47 pm  #4

Ale Ont wrote:

Driving around today listening to MOVE in Ottawa.  And when "The Christmas Song," by Nat Cole came on, I noticed something.

What was it replaced with, Ale Ont?

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

December 22, 2021 12:57 pm  #5

There was no replacement.  They just cut out that line.

December 22, 2021 1:36 pm  #6

Ale Ont wrote:

It might not be Bell itself that made that cut. 
Any other (non Bell) radio stations leaving out that line? 
The source where the song is coming from may be where the cut was made.
Bell might not be the original source. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 22, 2021 1:38 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

Are they still playing "Baby It's Cold Outside," or is that last year's (well, 2018 actually) scandalous politically incorrect Xmas song?

Yes.

December 22, 2021 1:40 pm  #8

radiokid wrote:

As i think Move is programmed the same as the others, I would think it's the same on all bell stations under that brand name.

During Christmas, yes. The rest of the year, there are two MOVEs, a HotAC version (CHUM 104.5 playlist) and an AC version.

December 22, 2021 2:14 pm  #9

RadioAaron wrote:

radiokid wrote:

During Christmas, yes. The rest of the year, there are two MOVEs, a HotAC version (CHUM 104.5 playlist) and an AC version.

Yes, but did BELL make the cut or is there a source the music is coming from where the cut is made for them? 
Long story short, I suspect other non Bell stations will also air this same edited version. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 22, 2021 2:41 pm  #10

Some stations have been doing it as early as last year, (or maybe even earlier):

https://gta.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=5641

It's a horrible edit. Nat King Cole sings: "Yuletide carols being sung by a choir...Everybody knows, a turkey and some mistletoe..."

Yup, it sounds as bad for real as it does in your head just imagining it.

I noticed last year that at least one station playing this dreadful hack job was also playing "Fairytale of New York" by The Pogues. I'm not sure if they played an edited version of that song (as I was only going by their "Recently played" list), which in its unedited form contains a word that I think is far more objectionable than "Eskimo", IMO.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

December 22, 2021 3:13 pm  #11

Paul Jeffries wrote:

I noticed last year that at least one station playing this dreadful hack job was also playing "Fairytale of New York" by The Pogues. I'm not sure if they played an edited version of that song (as I was only going by their "Recently played" list), which in its unedited form contains a word that I think is far more objectionable than "Eskimo", IMO.

Got that right!  One of my favourite Pogues tracks.

December 22, 2021 8:58 pm  #12

Ale Ont wrote:

There was no replacement.  They just cut out that line.

Maybe they could have just replaced the word "Eskimos" with "Elks"?     That might have appeased the CFL fans who were listening.   

December 22, 2021 10:55 pm  #13

grilled.cheese wrote:

As someone of Inuit heritage, I appreciate the omission of the offensive term "Eskimo"

I agree with you there, grilled.cheese. As I mentioned in last year's post, I applaud stations for being woke, but it doesn't get around the fact that it's an embarrassingly sloppy edit, like something you would expect from a first-year radio broadcasting student.

I agree with Ale Ont that if that's the station's stance, just don't play the song. Of course, this would also require stations purging their playlists of just about every other version of The Christmas Song (save for Serena Ryder's version, where she sings "Folks dressed up in ties and bows"). Considering that most of these stations that play non-stop Christmas music have about four hours worth of music that starts back-to-back in the middle of November, things could get even more repetitive and tiresome really quick.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

December 24, 2021 10:10 am  #14

What about the song " Sleigh Ride"?
I am very concerned that the poor horse pulling the sleigh is whipped no less than 8 times during  the song !!
Where are the Animal Rights groups...why are they not up in arms ?!

Take a deep breath....Merry Christmas everyone .