sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 21, 2021 10:13 am  #1

A Plaintive Plea To Toronto Weather Broadcasters

I’m about to channel my inner Grinch, so if you’d rather not tune into a minor anti-holiday rant, stop reading now!

[rant]

That said, this is a note to all the weather people on air across the city - for God’s sake, please, please stop with the endless smiling and cheerleading about the possibility of a White Christmas during every single forecast! (This is all the fault of Irving Berlin so many decades ago and it’s a trope that simply will not go away.)

Why in the world would anyone hope for horrible weather in the middle of their holiday celebration? Snow makes it difficult to get anywhere as you go on your way to visit family, friends or get to those Boxing Day sales. It’s expensive to remove from the roads and it’s a nuisance on your driveway and slippery sidewalks.

Can you imagine this applying to any other celebration? “I’m dreaming of a tornado for Easter?” It’s ridiculous. Yet we go through this idiocy every single Christmas season. For some reason, it seems worse this year, possibly because of ongoing COVID fatigue.

Look, our forecasters can’t help it if it snows. Their job is to inform us of what’s coming. But to openly hope for a dumping of misery is something I just don’t understand. As for me, I’m dreaming of a sunny and warm Christmas with grass showing everywhere.

[Sigh.]

I should have been born in Hawaii. Oh well, maybe next lifetime.

[/rant]

December 21, 2021 11:28 am  #2

Re: A Plaintive Plea To Toronto Weather Broadcasters

And please stop calling it "the white stuff!"

December 21, 2021 11:28 am  #3

In radio, talking about hoping for a white Christmas is a Tiny Tim sized crutch, and the opposite of it is the fear mongering about an oncoming Snowmageddon, also equally unhelpful.

Also, people are omicronmoronic right now.

December 21, 2021 11:33 am  #4

And every single time its pouring rain. 

December 21, 2021 12:53 pm  #5

But it was Irving Berlin and Bing Crosby who made it a part of modern culture that just won't go away. (It's one of the biggest selling records of all time.) Honestly, the only Xmas tune I hate more than that one is probably "Let It Snow." 

You've got nothing to do, so you want it to just snow endlessly? What a selfish a-hole. The rest of us are left to navigate in that mess, while you're hoping for a blizzard.

I have alternate lyrics that I've been using for years:

Oh the weather outside is frightful
And it's far from being delightful
So before we get more of this slop,
Make it stop, make it stop, make it stop!

December 21, 2021 12:55 pm  #6

A few over used terms by weather forecasters that get a little annoying to me at least...
Wash Out-  eg..It could rain on Saturday but it shouldn't be a wash out...CTV forecasters use this the most..
Values-  eg.. We should be getting into more winter like values by the weekend.. Some forecasters use this term for temperature more than once in almost every forecast....over used.

Last edited by paterson1 (December 21, 2021 12:56 pm)

December 21, 2021 1:14 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

But it was Irving Berlin and Bing Crosby who made it a part of modern culture that just won't go away. (It's one of the biggest selling records of all time.) Honestly, the only Xmas tune I hate more than that one is probably "Let It Snow."

You hate "Let It Snow" more than Paul McCartney's "Wonderful Christmastime"?!

"Simply havin a wonderful Christmastime, simply havin a wonderful Christmastime, simply havin a wonderful Christmastime, simply havin a wonderful Christmastime." ack.

December 21, 2021 1:39 pm  #8

betaylored wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

"Simply havin a wonderful Christmastime, simply havin a wonderful Christmastime, simply havin a wonderful Christmastime, simply havin a wonderful Christmastime." ack.

It may be awful, but at least I don't have to shovel it!

December 21, 2021 1:42 pm  #9

paterson1 wrote:

A few over used terms by weather forecasters that get a little annoying to me at least...
Wash Out-  eg..It could rain on Saturday but it shouldn't be a wash out...CTV forecasters use this the most..
Values-  eg.. We should be getting into more winter like values by the weekend.. Some forecasters use this term for temperature more than once in almost every forecast....over used.

Here's another one that drives me crazy. And yes, it's not a long drive. 

When we briefly get a warm spell and the weather is soon to change back to colder conditions. They always say 'don't put that winter coat away just yet!' Does anyone put their winter coat away any time after November? It's a hackneyed cliche and they just can't seem to avoid it. (And in the summer, substitute "umbrella" for winter coat and it's the same exact thing.)

December 21, 2021 2:28 pm  #10

betaylored wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

This one's for you, betaylored. (Or should that be Beatle-lord?)

December 21, 2021 4:18 pm  #11

We all carry very accurate weather reports in our pockets by way of our cellphones. Sadly however - it may not be long before the Corporates announce all their weather folks will be retiring. Then a news reader (anchor) will do a brief 30 second weather update.

It's kind of like why radio did continuous time checks way back in the day. That started before most folks had wrist watches. It was a reason to tune in. Perhaps might even explain why the morning show was the ratings getter. Now it's something to fill the back announce.

Just a thought....

December 21, 2021 8:59 pm  #12

RadioActive wrote:

betaylored wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

This one's for you, betaylored. (Or should that be Beatle-lord?)

Thanks RA, this made me snort laugh because its funny. And true.
Compared to a true Fab four fan I fall short, tho I do like their music, and that was a jolly good pun.

Last edited by betaylored (December 21, 2021 9:13 pm)

December 22, 2021 2:31 am  #13

Charlie wrote:

Couldn't agree more.  Just do your job, and give us the weather.  I'm frankly surprised we're still even allowed to say 'White' Christmas.

You can say anything you want.  If society thinks you're an idiot for what you say that's on you, not the rest of the world.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (December 22, 2021 2:37 am)

December 22, 2021 10:43 am  #14

And while we are at it....CBC Radio 1 has a weather forecast at 6:29 pm, which usually starts with "sunny today, becoming ....later in the day".

Hey CBC, the Sun Set at 4:40 pm.  Isn't there anyone at the Corpse who has the smarts to re-record that forecast for conditions in the evening.  Also providing "today's high will be" after sunset is just plain stupid.

This has gone on for years.  Guess they don't respond to their listeners, or their key demo doesn't care.

Last edited by tvguy (December 22, 2021 10:43 am)

December 22, 2021 10:53 am  #15

I've sent an email to CBLA Toronto.  Anyone on the big yellow board work at CBC? If so perhaps someone could take some action.    Let's see if anyone at the Canadian Broadcasting Corpse responds:

"Hello CBLA news department.  I realize that we are in year 2 of a pandemic but most broadcasters throughout the world have adapted to the reality of the situation and the information that they broadcast is updated regularly and accurate.

Not so with CBLA

Not to nit pick, but someone in your news department at CBLA Toronto needs to get this email and take action.
Every evening there is a local weather forecast at 18:29 hours.   Every forecast was recorded earlier in the day and is outdated.
Let me explain.  December 21st weather forecast started with “sunny today…becoming….”   There was a forecast high temperature given.

Seriously.  The sun set at 4:41 pm, so providing a weather forecast at 6:30 pm, which reads “sunny today” not only sounds stupid, it demonstrates a serious problem with the automation systems in place.

Secondly, providing the “high temperature” for the day, nearly 2 hours after sunset, when we know the temperature is already dropping also undermines the credibility of the information and the provider of that information.

I would love to speak with whomever is responsible for this mess.

I worked in the broadcast industry for many years.   Any company I worked for would never have tolerated such repeated gaffes.

Seasons greetings.

P.S. these out dated weather summaries have been a problem since prior to the onset of Covid-19 in March 2020.  It has been a long running programming error, or at the least, an error of judgement."

Last edited by tvguy (December 22, 2021 10:55 am)

December 23, 2021 1:12 am  #16

grilled.cheese wrote:

I check the forecast on my phone and then move on with my life.

Neat.  This is a radio board where people listen to the radio with a critical ear and then discuss it.

December 23, 2021 1:36 am  #17

tvguy wrote:

I've sent an email to CBLA Toronto.  Anyone on the big yellow board work at CBC? If so perhaps someone could take some action.    Let's see if anyone at the Canadian Broadcasting Corpse responds:

"Hello CBLA news department.  I realize that we are in year 2 of a pandemic but most broadcasters throughout the world have adapted to the reality of the situation and the information that they broadcast is updated regularly and accurate.

Not so with CBLA

Not to nit pick, but someone in your news department at CBLA Toronto needs to get this email and take action.
Every evening there is a local weather forecast at 18:29 hours.   Every forecast was recorded earlier in the day and is outdated.
Let me explain.  December 21st weather forecast started with “sunny today…becoming….”   There was a forecast high temperature given.

Seriously.  The sun set at 4:41 pm, so providing a weather forecast at 6:30 pm, which reads “sunny today” not only sounds stupid, it demonstrates a serious problem with the automation systems in place.

Secondly, providing the “high temperature” for the day, nearly 2 hours after sunset, when we know the temperature is already dropping also undermines the credibility of the information and the provider of that information.

I would love to speak with whomever is responsible for this mess.

I worked in the broadcast industry for many years.   Any company I worked for would never have tolerated such repeated gaffes.

Seasons greetings.

P.S. these out dated weather summaries have been a problem since prior to the onset of Covid-19 in March 2020.  It has been a long running programming error, or at the least, an error of judgement."

...and taxes pay for what?  

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.