sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 17, 2021 6:33 am  #31

Re: WBLK Tops 12+ Radio Ratings In Buffalo

WGR was a great station in the day, and came in like a local. It would be interesting to know how many southern Ontario listeners they had at the time.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

December 17, 2021 9:16 am  #32

When I was in high school, I found that most of my peers knew who Shane was. The evening jock at WGR, who passed away recently, was a well-known name with many people I've met since.

Hardly a representative sample, I'll admit, but I've found over the years a large number of folks in Toronto were well aware of WGR-AM in those days. Whether they listened to it a lot or not, I have no idea. But it truly was a fantastic radio station back then, winning several Billboard Station of the Year awards. And they deserved it. 

December 17, 2021 9:45 am  #33

I never listened to KB much growing up in Oakville because the daytime signal was too weak. The night signal was stronger but distorted. I was told that the distortion was caused by a mixing of the groundwave and skywave signals. Mr. Fybush would probably know if this is true. I started listening to WGR in September 1972 when I moved to Hamilton to attend McMaster. The CKFH signal into Hamilton was unreliable during the day and non existant at night. So Stan Roberts woke me up every morning. What a lineup that station had in the 70's. Stan Roberts/Larry Anderson/Frank Benny/Shane/John Otto. And that signal! When I would visit my sister when she was attending Laurentian in Sudbury, I could listen to GR until I reached North Bay when the then Sudbury 550 would take over.

December 18, 2021 6:25 pm  #34

The reason why Flow hasn't been achieving the same level of success in Toronto as WBLK is in Buffalo can be attributed by a few factors. As some already suggested from the thread, the constant tweaking of format and personalities cause disengagement of listeners from tuning into the station. People who were dedicated to Flow were tired to notice their favourite music and DJs being dropped for unnecessary changes. There is a lot of well known Canadian hip-hop and R&B artists, especially in Toronto, however they haven't gotten enough exposure and support from Flow. Even though the recent Make In Toronto Takeover at 11pm promotes locally based artists, the rest of hours were just constantly repeating songs by CanCon artists such as Belly, Roy Woods, Anders and other few. Flow should be playing more tracks from upcoming Toronto artists during the day time. I consider G98.7 does a way better job regarding this, especially after the change in ownership, with artists such as Haviah Mighty and Fame Holiday are being constantly supported by G.

Moreover, even though Flow has slightly changed for the better after the removal of The Breakfast Club and overwhelmingly pop-ish songs from the playlist, I still consider Flow should make better efforts for increasing the engagement of listeners. Currently the playlist still consists of too many pop-rhythmic products, such as Kiss Me More, Save Your Tears, Montero and Mood by Iann Dior. Moreover, 5 out of top 10 songs played on Flow most could be heard on other CHR stations, such as Kiss and Virgin. A lot people whom I know would tune into Flow are already tired of listening these songs. Hip hop songs that are still supported by airplays in the states are however quickly dropped just one or two months after the addition, I consider the music is also another factor why Flow isn't able to achieve better ratings. Flow should be playing hip-hop tracks that are topped on the urban airplay charts of the States, also supporting more new local hip-hop artists by playing their tracks during regular hours.

December 18, 2021 10:10 pm  #35

RadioActive wrote:

When I was in high school, I found that most of my peers knew who Shane was. The evening jock at WGR, who passed away recently, was a well-known name with many people I've met since.

Hardly a representative sample, I'll admit, but I've found over the years a large number of folks in Toronto were well aware of WGR-AM in those days. Whether they listened to it a lot or not, I have no idea. But it truly was a fantastic radio station back then, winning several Billboard Station of the Year awards. And they deserved it. 

Yup, I too listened to Brother Shane on GR55 in the early 70's. It got a decent signal into Kitchener-Waterloo.

December 18, 2021 10:29 pm  #36

I also listened to GR 55 regularly back in the 1970s. And while my mother mostly listened to CFRB and CHUM (a rather interesting combination), she also listened to John Otto's show for many years.

December 19, 2021 12:16 am  #37

Here's the classic intro to Extension 55 from sometime in the 70s. Who knew John Otto was a comedian?

Extension 55 Intro, WGR Buffalo

The day Otto suddenly died, the station used his evening timeslot to pay tribute to the dean of Buffalo Talk. That show can be heard here. 

Last edited by RadioActive (December 19, 2021 12:17 am)