sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 11, 2021 9:43 am  #1

Will You, Did You Watch The Grey Cup?

Right now, haven't the foggiest.

I'll probably look in for the halftime show with Arkells and check out the second half of the fourth quarter.

December 11, 2021 11:18 am  #2

Re: Will You, Did You Watch The Grey Cup?

I will turn it on at 6.  Having pre-game shows longer than the event are not for me.  And I am a big fan!!!

December 11, 2021 12:21 pm  #3

Minor league football? No.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

December 11, 2021 12:27 pm  #4

Bills vs Bucs at 4:25

December 11, 2021 12:50 pm  #5

Absolutely. Will likely check out the Bills and Bucs game a bit too. 

December 11, 2021 3:30 pm  #6

No.

Not a sports fan.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

December 11, 2021 6:47 pm  #7

torontostan wrote:

2019 Grey Cup (AMA 2+):
TSN = 3,673,000
RDS = 252,000
NFL Late = 1,019,000

*Game times overlapped but did not start and end at the same time. 

Almost 5 million Canadians (13% of pop) watching football at once is pretty impressive if you ask me! 

The Super Bowl gets much bigger numbers. 

December 11, 2021 7:14 pm  #8

Can't wait! Should be more exciting than last Monday's Bills-Pats snorefest.  Will watch the 4:25 pm game that should be over by 6 pm

December 11, 2021 7:49 pm  #9

Yes.  From  Section 115.   

If I wasn't attending I would be most certainly watching it on TSN while flipping back and forth with the endtail of the Bills-Buccaneers and later Chicago vs. Green Day.

December 12, 2021 9:03 am  #10

As a life-long Tigercat fan, I'll be tuning in - bowl of chili in hand!

December 12, 2021 9:12 am  #11

Count me as a hard no.
I love a lot of sports, but football is not one of them.

December 12, 2021 9:59 am  #12

After the Grey Cup we can await the biggest game in decades for the national men's soccer team when they host the USA at Tim Hortons Field on Jan 30!

December 12, 2021 12:00 pm  #13

%100 YES!!! Oskee Wee Wee

Last edited by Mike Richards (December 12, 2021 12:03 pm)

December 12, 2021 12:02 pm  #14

Yes.  Go Big Blue!

December 12, 2021 12:03 pm  #15

Charlie wrote:

.. the Canadian game is fast, very skilled and highly entertaining.  It is not minor league football, and deserves more respect than it gets here in the centre of the universe.

Totally agree.  I really like the Canadian game .. very entertaining.   I'll be watching : )) .. 

What really re-kindled my CFL interest was the stellar rookie season of James Wilder Jr. a few years back .. Wilder & SJ Green had an awesome season for the Argos. 

December 12, 2021 12:12 pm  #16

Never watched football.  Will be watching Toronto Raptors tonight.

December 12, 2021 12:40 pm  #17

UPDATE:

YES - 9 votes
NO - 5 votes
MAYBE - soccer fan's vote not a clear YES or NO, 3 + 1 votes = 4

TOTAL TO DATE:  18 votes

December 12, 2021 1:06 pm  #18

Yes.I watch most every year. Even when the Argos aren't playing in the Grey Cup.

December 12, 2021 1:55 pm  #19

I'm not a football fan, so I'll be elsewhere. But I do find it interesting that every major sports' grand finale - whether it be The World Series, The Super Bowl, the NBA Finals or The Stanley Cup finals - all remain on over-the-air free TV networks like Fox, CBS or the CBC. 

But not the Grey Cup, which for the past few years has been cable only. (I can remember a time when it was on both CBC and CTV at the same time!)

There has been no hue and cry raised about that, although you can imagine what the reaction would be if the Super Bowl, as an example, suddenly ended up solely on ESPN down south. 

Not sure what conclusion to draw from that, but it does make me wonder why no one complains about it.

December 12, 2021 2:54 pm  #20

RadioActive wrote:

I do find it interesting that every major sports' grand finale - whether it be The World Series, The Super Bowl, the NBA Finals or The Stanley Cup finals - all remain on over-the-air free TV networks like Fox, CBS or the CBC. 

But not the Grey Cup, which for the past few years has been cable only. (I can remember a time when it was on both CBC and CTV at the same time!)

There has been no hue and cry raised about that, although you can imagine what the reaction would be if the Super Bowl, as an example, suddenly ended up solely on ESPN down south. 

Not sure what conclusion to draw from that, but it does make me wonder why no one complains about it.

Does TSN have an exclusive pact with the CFL?
We've got 5 TSN channels in our cable package, while the King of Simsubs, CTV, seems to prefer the NFL.
In the US, the major OTA nets would probably hate to give up all that Super Bowl cash to allow it to move to
cable, their own or a stand alone.

I'm watching the CFL tonight but my remote finger will be getting that Packers itch around 8, though the Tiger Cat
play-by-play history in our family will probably have its own tug.

Last edited by mike marshall (December 12, 2021 2:55 pm)

December 12, 2021 3:02 pm  #21

People actually did complain years ago when the first TSN deal was signed.  Now people are likely resigned that the deal isn't going anywhere. Some CFL fans think that the cable only deal with TSN has hurt the league overall, especially attendance. The CFL makes most of their money from ticket sales, not broadcast rights like other leagues.    

Same happened with baseball a few decades ago when MLB was on cable and not OTA network television.   Attendance at games started to slide. .Baseball has since come back to network television for regional games, playoffs and The World Series, attendance again has improved.  CFL should still have a game of the week on CBC.  This would help them a lot. 

It is interesting that the CFL gets the ratings it has with games only on a pay sports network. CFL games often outdraw the NFL in the regular season and during their playoffs.  This with much less promotion from Bell and no free over the air overage on various channels, and no simsub. 

December 12, 2021 3:23 pm  #22

Charlie wrote:

More of an NFL watcher, but the Canadian game is fast, very skilled and highly entertaining.  It is not minor league football, and deserves more respect than it gets here in the centre of the universe.

None of these players are good enough to play in the big league. That's the very definition of minor league.

December 12, 2021 4:12 pm  #23

Dale Patterson wrote:

Charlie wrote:

More of an NFL watcher, but the Canadian game is fast, very skilled and highly entertaining.  It is not minor league football, and deserves more respect than it gets here in the centre of the universe.

None of these players are good enough to play in the big league. That's the very definition of minor league.

Lots of NFL players had their start in the CFL, and many more than just Doug Flutie.  NFL and CFL are different leagues with different rules  One league is not all bad and amateurish and the other all great and fantastic.  Both leagues have their good and bad areas.  Here is a list of Canadians currently playing in the NFL...And most if not  all of these players would have initially played the Canadian game.. 
https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nfl/news/laurent-duvernay-tardif-chase-claypool-canada-2021-nfl/145bcrh1qdy0p1jbpv43zafa0o

December 12, 2021 4:13 pm  #24

There is a great irony in CTV no longer showing any CFL games for free over the air. Because it was Canadian Football that helped create CTV as an entity in the first place. It's a long-forgotten bit of Canadian TV history and the proof is in the article below from 1961.

By the way, there were several times that CFL games were broadcast in the U.S. But the very first time it ever happened was way back on August 28, 1954. I believe the station listed is WROC, the NBC affiliate in Rochester, which at the time was on Channel 5. I love the way they try to explain the differences between the American and Canadian games in the listing.

December 12, 2021 4:23 pm  #25

If that's enough to drive you to drink, here's the beverage you should probably be consuming throughout the game.

December 12, 2021 4:40 pm  #26

I always watch it, and this year will be no exception. Although I finally started watching NFL games regularly last year because of the CFL season being cancelled, I still very much prefer the Canadian game. 

December 12, 2021 7:03 pm  #27

paterson1 wrote:

Dale Patterson wrote:

Charlie wrote:

Lots of NFL players had their start in the CFL, and many more than just Doug Flutie.  NFL and CFL are different leagues with different rules  One league is not all bad and amateurish and the other all great and fantastic.  Both leagues have their good and bad areas.  Here is a list of Canadians currently playing in the NFL...And most if not  all of these players would have initially played the Canadian game.. 
https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nfl/news/laurent-duvernay-tardif-chase-claypool-canada-2021-nfl/145bcrh1qdy0p1jbpv43zafa0o

>> And most if not  all of these players would have initially played the Canadian game.

So we agree on something - the Canadian league is just a feeder league for the NFL. That's what I thought.

Last edited by Dale Patterson (December 12, 2021 7:10 pm)

December 12, 2021 7:17 pm  #28

And vice versa

December 12, 2021 7:33 pm  #29

Dale Patterson wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Dale Patterson wrote:

>> And most if not  all of these players would have initially played the Canadian game.

So we agree on something - the Canadian league is just a feeder league for the NFL. That's what I thought.

Who said anything about a feeder league?  You didn't and neither did I . But players from both the CFL and NFL have gone to the other league as Broodcaster pointed out.  My point was that many CFL players have gone on to play in the NFL which proves they were and are good enough to play in the "big league."

December 12, 2021 8:57 pm  #30

the bills-bucs was a great game.