sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 3, 2021 9:34 pm  #1

Creepy Christmas

I was listening to 1010 today and was a little creeped out to hear them play the old Russell Wells Britain House retirement home ad in which he waxes on about the wonder of the birth of Jesus "unto us a child is born and he shall be name wonderful... " etc  Wells died in 2018.
But it seems he's been resurrected.

December 3, 2021 10:01 pm  #2

Re: Creepy Christmas

Wow.  I had no idea he passed in 2018.  His obituary can be found here:

https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/thornhill-on/russell-wells-9055670

What I didn't realize is that he was actually a trained broadcaster.  No wonder his spots were always listenable.

As for the creepy factor, I don't find it the least bit creepy.  Another example if actor Macdonald Carey, who played the patriarch on Days of Our Lives until his death in 1994.  His voice is still used in the opening of each show. 

December 3, 2021 10:41 pm  #3

Maybe while they're at it, they'll bring back that old "It Feels Like Christmas..." with the "On Newstalk 1010!" customized tag, narrated by "Gipp Forster".   

This upload courtesy of our IJG!

Last edited by AspectRatio (December 3, 2021 10:42 pm)

December 4, 2021 12:10 pm  #4

As It Happens still plays "Fireside Al" - Christmas stories read by the late Al Maitland, every Christmas and hey, people watch It's a Wonderful Life and Miracle on 34th Street even though every single actor in both film is dead by now - and we also listen to that duet featuring dead singers Bing Crosby and David Bowie. 

December 4, 2021 9:11 pm  #5

Hansa wrote:

As It Happens still plays "Fireside Al" - Christmas stories read by the late Al Maitland, every Christmas and hey, people watch It's a Wonderful Life and Miracle on 34th Street even though every single actor in both film is dead by now - and we also listen to that duet featuring dead singers Bing Crosby and David Bowie. 

And once in a while they replay one of Barbara Frum's interviews. I always enjoy those.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.