sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 29, 2021 3:37 pm  #1

Is Ryan Doyle Permanently Gone From CFRB?

What you're about to read is total speculation, I'll admit, but there are growing signs that longtime afternoon host Ryan Doyle may no longer be with CFRB. 

For the fifth straight week, he's been absent from The Rush, with no explanation. Jim Richards is back as co-host. Last week, Jay Michaels confirmed only that "Ryan is taking some time off." But this Monday, there were some revealing and subtle differences. 

Consider:

-The intro in weeks past said, "This is The Rush, with Ryan And Jay. Sitting in for Ryan is..." On Monday, the intro ran as normal, but this time the announcer said, "This is the Rush with Jay & Jim." No mention at all of Doyle or that anyone was subbing for anyone else. 

-Neither Jay Michaels nor Jim Richards has mentioned Doyle's name once in the show as I post this. When a personality is fired from a station, they never talk about it and their name is no longer used. It's as if they just disappeared and never existed. That's the vibe I'm getting from Monday's show.

-Doyle's endorsements of realtor Lino Arci and The Jiffy App in ads are no longer running. Instead, the latter (and possibly the former) are now being read by Jay Michaels alone. 

-The promos that had been running touting CFRB programming contained a clip of Doyle saying, "I like the passion." That promo is no longer heard on the station. 

-Doyle has not updated his Twitter page since October 27th, roughly the time he left the afternoon show. 

Again, I have no knowledge that his time at 'RB is done. But the signs above point to the fact that something is up. And if it is, do you suppose Jim Richards will become the de facto new permanent co-host? If so, he'll ironically be reclaiming the exact same time slot he occupied for decades on the station before being shunted to overnights. 

Doyle was never my favourite, but wherever he is, I hope he's OK. Being thrown into apparent obscurity is a hell of a way to say goodbye to a station he's been at since graduating from Humber College. If that's in fact what happened.

November 29, 2021 3:56 pm  #2

Re: Is Ryan Doyle Permanently Gone From CFRB?

Bendixen, his former boss and conspicuous fan (protector) is gone. I'm afraid it does appear Mr Doyle is one for the high jump.

November 29, 2021 4:07 pm  #3

The Newstalk website seems to have removed his name from the show as well.  It is now the "Rush with Jay Michael"s.  
Did Ryan get the Bell for profits chop similar to Bendixen, or has he found another opportunity elsewhere?
Last night on the overnight "Showgram", fill in host Dave Cooper assured listeners that Jim would be back.
So, the suspense continues.

November 29, 2021 4:19 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

And if it is, do you suppose Jim Richards will become the de facto new permanent co-host? If so, he'll ironically be reclaiming the exact same time slot he occupied for decades on the station before being shunted to overnights. .

I have actually enjoyed the chemistry between Jim Richards and Jay Michaels in what I've caught of the show. Not sure how Jim's feeling about the grueling overnight shift, but I wonder if this is a sign they might move him back to days or he's not testing as well for the numerous stations carrying the show in this Bell overnight talk radio experiment. Obviously overnights can be brutal on the system in even a music radio format; with talk radio, all the more consuming logistically with some pre-taping of guests in advance during the day and filling the four hours nightly.

Admittedly, Dave Cooper, as JB866 referenced, has been doing a nice job solo in the overnight Richards slot and has been a regular "comic foil" and banter partner for Richards on the show.

Theory 1: I wonder if we envision a time in, say, the new year where Cooper gets this overnight show himself and Richards moves back to the daytime on 1010.
Theory 2: Furthermore, maybe they scrap the dual-host format of "The Rush" entirely and it becomes a solo Jim Richards slot. As RadioActive posted over here, Michaels did some CHUM work recently - testing him out for a return to music radio there or elsewhere in the organization?

Last edited by AspectRatio (November 29, 2021 4:22 pm)

November 29, 2021 4:23 pm  #5

67GreenRambler wrote:

Bendixen, his former boss and conspicuous fan (protector) is gone. I'm afraid it does appear Mr Doyle is one for the high jump.

Both Bendixen and Doyle co-hosted a show called "Generation Next" on the station many years ago, when both were just starting out. It was supposed to be the opinions of a younger crowd in a talk show format. This was eons before Bendixen made it into management. So they've been in each other's orbit for a very long time.

JB866 wrote:

The Newstalk website seems to have removed his name from the show as well.  It is now the "Rush with Jay Michael"s. 

Interesting. I hadn't checked the site, but you're right. That's often a definitive sign that the end has come.

November 29, 2021 7:06 pm  #6

In the 2021 Canadian Radio Awards which came out on November 16 The Rush with Jay and Ryan was the winner for Best On Air Team (News/Sports/Talk) in a large market.  Jay and Jim seem to have a bit of chemistry on air, and Jim seems at home in afternoon drive.

November 29, 2021 8:51 pm  #7

paterson1 wrote:

In the 2021 Canadian Radio Awards which came out on November 16 The Rush with Jay and Ryan was the winner for Best On Air Team (News/Sports/Talk) in a large market.

Yeah, Jay seemed proud of that on his own social media - as he should.

But Bell is noted for being tone-deaf to accolades - they'll do what they do. I remember newscaster Evelyn Macko was celebrated in June 2014 with induction into the Humber Radio Hall of Fame and this lovely tribute video. Then she was one of the ones caught up in the August 2014 purge. Her news director Kym Geddes, same fate earlier this year with that 1010 newsroom shutdown.

November 30, 2021 12:30 am  #8

I think Ryan is either off on a long mental health sabbatical, or has already left the Rush for mental health reasons.

Because the afternoon Tamara Cherry and Jay were talking about the trauma and PTSD the media experience by simply doing their jobs, Jay clearly and unequivocally said someone who he works VERY closely with has been dealing with serious mental health concerns. He didn't go any further, or get specific and mention Ryan by name, but it seemed like he was talking about his missing co-host.

I wish Ryan well. I wish the same for the Rush with whatever on-air hosts end up working together. I've got a lot of time for Jay Michaels and Jim's growing on me.

November 30, 2021 3:52 pm  #9

I noticed on Monday that Jay mentioned switching off social media for the weekend as he was not in a good place.  Made me think "hmmm".  And they have stopped saying "Filling in for Ryan . . ."  So it seems that this is the end for Ryan.  Glad to hear Jim back on in the afternoon.  Sorry that it happened under these circumstances though. 

I remember the first Monday Ryan was off, Jay was making light that Ryan's kids destroyed him over the weekend so he was taking a day off to recover.  I guess at that point no-one really had a handle on how serious it was.  I wish him well getting through whatever challenges he is facing.

November 30, 2021 4:52 pm  #10

Should we consider that perhaps the Ryan has been stolen away and may resurface at 640?    I recall that he may have been woo'd before... certainly BELL's actions can't be making their stars very comfortable.

No matter what.... Hope he is well.

November 30, 2021 9:30 pm  #11

I guess the puzzler is what is the reason for the fact that have they not announced that Ryan has left, as both Bell and Rogers do when someone on-air is "let go", or up and leaves.

To just have every mention wiped is.. suspicious. Tactful?

Social media being what it is, chances are we might hear something down the road.

Totally applaud Jay taking a social media break. Social media, such an oxymoron.

November 30, 2021 10:33 pm  #12

Listeners are starting to notice, too - some Twitter examples here, but on Facebook too - beyond just us keen radio buffs congregating here and noting it, that is.

I would hope they'd say something official soon, but who knows how Bell operates. Scrubbing the name from the website without explanation feels tactless, but again... it's Bell, perhaps we shouldn't be surprised.

December 1, 2021 12:43 am  #13

If he's in an union, they are probably negotiating a severance agreement. i have worked in payroll for years and this happens all the time. 

December 1, 2021 8:26 am  #14

I was wondering if any here would know what the standard "non-compete" clause. How does it work?
I was curious if  the new CHFI morning team fell under one?

never worked ever, in radio

December 1, 2021 11:12 am  #15

This is where listening to to the Levitt/Samfiru paid programming shows comes in handy.

Non-compete is a grey area.  Generally, an employer can't prevent someone from earning a living.  However, they can provide a continuance of their salary for period of time during which they are not allowed to work elsewhere.  In short, if they take another job, they lose the money.

Now, I say it's a grey area because many non-complete clauses don't stand up to a court of law and aren't enforceable.  However, if you're the (soon to be former) employer, having one (along with the threat of deep pockets when it comes to litigation) is always better than not having one at all.

December 1, 2021 1:59 pm  #16

During the second week they mentioned he was "on assignment" Even during the third week they were openly mentioning his name.

December 2, 2021 9:56 am  #17

Totally unfounded latest rumour (interesting conjecture if nothing else) is Ryan Doyle will be replacing a soon-retiring John Oakley on AM640 in afternoon drive. Interesting in light of RadioActive's post re: Amanda Cupido, formerly of 1010 heading up things there. Perhaps Doyle saw the way Bell was treating folks including longtime associate Mike Bendixen and opted to jump ship on his own.

Also, a station will look at what it's competition is doing in that slot and often try to replicate it, counter-program against it, or literally try to woo it away to strengthen their brand.

For this:

RadioActive wrote:

-Doyle's endorsements of realtor Lino Arci and The Jiffy App in ads are no longer running. Instead, the latter (and possibly the former) are now being read by Jay Michaels alone.

I heard a Jay Michaels-voiced Lino Arci ad the other day so I can confirm it's switched to Michaels doing those as well (although Ryan still appears at their page https://www.linoarciteam.com/radio-promotion/ ).

December 2, 2021 11:13 am  #18

AspectRatio wrote:

Ryan Doyle will be replacing a soon-retiring John Oakley on AM640 in afternoon drive    

In (arguably) related news, Corus shares have been in decline for the past three weeks ($5.70 to $4.70)

December 2, 2021 11:21 am  #19

Peter the K wrote:

This is where listening to to the Levitt/Samfiru paid programming shows comes in handy.

Non-compete is a grey area.  Generally, an employer can't prevent someone from earning a living.  However, they can provide a continuance of their salary for period of time during which they are not allowed to work elsewhere.  In short, if they take another job, they lose the money.

Now, I say it's a grey area because many non-complete clauses don't stand up to a court of law and aren't enforceable.  However, if you're the (soon to be former) employer, having one (along with the threat of deep pockets when it comes to litigation) is always better than not having one at all.

In related news Ontario introduces legislation to ban non-compete clauses for employees

December 2, 2021 3:08 pm  #20

In purely a "fantasy football" scenario where, if Ryan does move to AM640, I wonder if Peter Shurman could be lured back to 1010 and the show could be "The Rush with Peter and Jay".   Hey, I'd tune in for that! Different generations and perspectives.

December 2, 2021 4:14 pm  #21

Jay (who was Mad Dog last time I met him) looks like a nice guy to me. Me?? -- that shot was from the political wars. If anyone's wondering, I keep busy....episode 1 of 'SHURMAN - UNLIMITED' drops about December 15...watch!

Last edited by shurmanator (December 2, 2021 4:30 pm)

December 2, 2021 10:11 pm  #22

Broadcast Dialogue has now effectively confirmed what most of us suspected - Ryan Doyle is no longer with CFRB. It's not clear what happened or why he was let go, but it does appear it wasn't entirely his choice. Doyle has worked at the station for more than a quarter of a century, joining as an intern straight out of Humber College. I don't believe he has ever worked anywhere else.

No word on what he plans to do next.

December 2, 2021 10:21 pm  #23

Bell used to be a good company to work for before they owned media properties. I had an uncle who worked there for his entire career installing phones. He had a good pension. 

December 7, 2021 12:25 pm  #24

December 7, 2021 7:47 pm  #25

shurmanator wrote:

Jay (who was Mad Dog last time I met him) looks like a nice guy to me. Me?? -- that shot was from the political wars. If anyone's wondering, I keep busy....episode 1 of 'SHURMAN - UNLIMITED' drops about December 15...watch!

excellent news, keep us posted please.🎙️🎧

December 10, 2021 10:33 am  #26

I tuned into the show back in October right at the time Ryan was apologizing for something he said on-air. I don't know what he said...just that he was issuing an apology. I felt when I heard the apology that whatever he said couldn't have been good. Shortly after that, he was off the air.