sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 29, 2021 8:05 pm  #1

PBS Program Alert

Tuesday night at 7:30pm WNED is airing a behind the scenes documentary on how the PBS Newshour is put together. Celebrating PBS Newshour runs two hours. It does not appear on the WTVS and KCTS schedules for Tuesday. It may pop up later in the week.

November 29, 2021 8:45 pm  #2

Re: PBS Program Alert

Hosted by Danny Glover. 

November 29, 2021 9:01 pm  #3

Thanks for this heads up...  sounds like it will be interesting.

Reminds me of when PBS aired a six part series about 9 years ago, entitled "Producing the Local News"  which gave the viewer an inside look at the day to day working of mid market newscasts.

One episode profiled a station in Virginia (iirc), and showed the resulting tanking on air of a cast when there was no communication between the Assignment Editor and the Producer...   fun times...

November 30, 2021 8:27 pm  #4

A late update about this show - it actually airs from 7:50 PM - 8:50 PM. Not sure why the odd time frame, but if you're planning to watch it or DVR it, be sure to set for the correct time. 

November 30, 2021 8:42 pm  #5

The longer time slot is because the program is being aired during a PBS Pledge week.  No need to adjust any PVR settings;  as you can simply fast-forward through the fund raising segments when watching the recorded program.

November 30, 2021 8:45 pm  #6

That may be, but if you set the thing to start at 7:30 for an hour and it ends at 8:50, chances are you'll miss some of it when the DVR stops recording at 8:30. And yes, fast forwarding almost anything on PBS during a pledge week is the only way to watch it!

November 30, 2021 9:00 pm  #7

Sorry,  I forget you are OTA. 

After seeing your initial alert,  I checked my Rogers TV Guide and they had it in a two hour slot from 7:30 - 9:30.  It was only after seeing you post tonight and checking the channel,  that I realized it was a Pledge Week issue.

Last edited by Media Observer (November 30, 2021 9:01 pm)

November 30, 2021 9:03 pm  #8

No problem. There's nothing more frustrating than being in the middle of a show and not seeing the ending because your DVR timed out. I know. It's happened to me way too many times! (I'm looking at you CBS and Fox on Sundays with those damn football overruns.)

November 30, 2021 9:11 pm  #9

I hear you.  It happens occasionally with Rogers.  Recently I watched a recording of the TCM Dean Martin Documentary,  only to have it end about 20 minutes early.  I was able to record it again (complete) the following week.

Last edited by Media Observer (November 30, 2021 9:16 pm)

November 30, 2021 11:11 pm  #10

Well, I should have listened to my own advice! I recorded the thing from 7:50 to 8:50, as WNED indicated for the time slot. I still missed the last ten minutes or so!

Turns out they ran an 8-minute-long fund-raising shill from 7:50-7:58, which means the show ran long and my DVR didn't! Not serious, in this case, because while it was interesting, it wasn't all that urgent. But man, can't anyone keep to a schedule? Oh well. At least there was no football game!

December 1, 2021 10:18 am  #11

Good News RA! SuperBowl is Sunday Feb 13. No more football delays for 60 Minutes. Yes there is golf. At least CBS doesn't televise every PGA tournament.

December 1, 2021 10:21 am  #12

It's more the Fox line-up that affects me, but I do look forward to getting this over with. I wonder what the longest two-minute warning delay in television history is. It seems like it can take an hour or more at times to get those 120 seconds over with. 

December 1, 2021 3:52 pm  #13

RadioActive wrote:

It's more the Fox line-up that affects me, but I do look forward to getting this over with. I wonder what the longest two-minute warning delay in television history is. It seems like it can take an hour or more at times to get those 120 seconds over with. 

I didn't know you were a fan of "Animation Domination"

December 1, 2021 4:28 pm  #14

Can't quite shake the Simpsons and Family Guy, although both are way past their prime.

December 1, 2021 6:16 pm  #15

RadioActive wrote:

Can't quite shake the Simpsons and Family Guy, although both are way past their prime.

So both shows have "Jumped the Shark"?

December 1, 2021 6:44 pm  #16

They occasionally still show flashes of brilliance, which is what keeps me coming back, hoping to see those moments. Old habits die hard. By the way, I think last Sunday's football game just ended about 15 minutes ago...

December 1, 2021 8:48 pm  #17

RadioActive wrote:

They occasionally still show flashes of brilliance, which is what keeps me coming back, hoping to see those moments. Old habits die hard. By the way, I think last Sunday's football game just ended about 15 minutes ago...

Now THAT's funny! Just be thankful most games don't go into OT. Several weeks ago, two rather inept teams [Detroit Lions/Pittsburgh Steelers] played a full 15 minute OT period that ended in a 16-16 tie. Had that been a 4:25pm kickoff, the end would have been around 8:30pm.

December 6, 2021 1:39 pm  #18

If you missed this program on WNED,  it airs Tuesday Dec 7 at 8pm on WTVS Detroit.