sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 29, 2021 8:14 am  #1

Pooja and Gurdeep on CHFI Mornings

As shared in Gurdeeps Instagram page
https://www.instagram.com/p/CW2-InirwQu/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Last edited by Centerline (November 29, 2021 8:15 am)

November 29, 2021 8:38 am  #2

Re: Pooja and Gurdeep on CHFI Mornings

Big announcement also on City tv Breakfast Television this morning at 7:20.  Pooja and Gurdeep will be regulars on Cityline as well.  Lots of cross promo opportunities and keeps them on TV. 

November 29, 2021 11:16 am  #3

Are they working for both Bell and Rogers now or just Rogers?   Its confusing to who owns what sometimes lol.

November 29, 2021 11:39 am  #4

All Rogers

November 29, 2021 12:18 pm  #5

markow202 wrote:

Are they working for both Bell and Rogers now or just Rogers?   Its confusing to who owns what sometimes lol.

They have been gone from Bell's CP24 for a while now. 
From now on they will only be on CHFI & City TV, which are both owned by Rogers.
(er, from now until CHFI ratings say otherwise, lol) 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 29, 2021 12:24 pm  #6

They don't start officially until Jan. 4th, but will have a "sneak preview" of their show on Monday, Dec. 6th. 

He has previous radio experience, she does not. 

According to the Rogers press release, the show will be helmed behind the scenes by the former longtime content producer for Derringer in the Morning on Q107.

November 29, 2021 2:30 pm  #7

The Toronto Star spoke to all the parties involved, including the two new hosts, who admit their lack of radio experience.

“It’s not the same at all — it’s completely different in radio,” Handa explains. “At least, that’s what we’re learning from rehearsing. We get to still be us — which is wonderful, as that comes easy to us — but the economy of words and trying to remember that it’s different when you’re talking about a listener versus a viewer is new.”

Ahluwalia agrees.

“You can’t use the crutch of the visual and just speak to the pictures, which is sometimes easy to do when you’re tired in the morning doing a show. So, I guess the unlearning of a few of the TV habits — we’re refamiliarizing ourselves with some radio habits — there are nuances and idiosyncrasies that are different."

Introducing CHFI radio’s new morning show hosts

https://clearthis.page/?u=https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/2021/11/29/introducing-chfi-radios-new-morning-show-hosts.html

November 29, 2021 2:48 pm  #8

do they know anything about music?

November 29, 2021 2:53 pm  #9

Not sure, but CHFI's music is pre-chosen and isn't controlled by the announcers. Hopefully, they at least have a familiarity with the songs they play. There is a huge learning curve here, something you rarely hear play out in the largest market and on one of the biggest stations in Canada. 

November 29, 2021 4:10 pm  #10

Hats off to Toronto Mike'd for his correct speculation and correctly calling the play with Pooja and Gurdeep to Rogers and CHFI very early on right after the latter's departure from CP24 breakfast.  

November 29, 2021 5:56 pm  #11

I found this part of the press release to be kind of interesting....

"Joining Pooja and Gurdeep on the new morning show is 98.1 CHFI news anchor Christine Cardoso, and Blair Bartrem, who will serve as Executive Producer for CHFI Mornings with Pooja & Gurdeep"

Blair was Regional PD for Bell in Southwestern Ontario, prior to that he was PD of Virgin Montreal as well as being PD of Q107 for about 12 years and before that PD of The Mix (Virgin nowadays.)  Point being, based on his experience and track record he would be expensive.  Even though they are calling him "Executive Producer" of the morning show, it's still really morning show producer and I can't imagine that job would pay anywhere close to what he is worth.  Perhaps it was a way of getting him in to the company and he will eventually take on a programming role.

November 29, 2021 6:43 pm  #12

grilled.cheese wrote:

cash wrote:

do they know anything about music?

Do they need to know anything about music?

Essentially, nope. Not on an AC morning show.

November 29, 2021 8:04 pm  #13

torontostan wrote:

UnSub wrote:

I found this part of the press release to be kind of interesting....

"Joining Pooja and Gurdeep on the new morning show is 98.1 CHFI news anchor Christine Cardoso, and Blair Bartrem, who will serve as Executive Producer for CHFI Mornings with Pooja & Gurdeep"

Blair was Regional PD for Bell in Southwestern Ontario, prior to that he was PD of Virgin Montreal as well as being PD of Q107 for about 12 years and before that PD of The Mix (Virgin nowadays.)  Point being, based on his experience and track record he would be expensive.  Even though they are calling him "Executive Producer" of the morning show, it's still really morning show producer and I can't imagine that job would pay anywhere close to what he is worth.  Perhaps it was a way of getting him in to the company and he will eventually take on a programming role.

Not only that, but a quick google search reveals that he was only in his last job (Bell) for about 3 months. I've listened to Derringer and can't recall hearing him, so he must be a totally behind-the-scenes producer (unlike other music shows). 
https://broadcastdialogue.com/revolving-door-66/

He was the PD.

I suspect once the CHFI show has its legs, he'll be consulting other shows within the company. Rogers dumped their American morning show consultants when the fall of the Canadian dollar made them suddenly more expensive.

Last edited by RadioAaron (November 29, 2021 8:07 pm)

November 29, 2021 8:19 pm  #14

They haven't done "radio" per se, but the CP24 morning show has many similarities to an AC morning show.

They don't need to hit the post or do "bits".

The need to have personality, humour, and most importantly: chemistry. That's core. The rest of the radio stuff can be quickly learned.

Also, the real elephant in the room is that it will be the first major Toronto radio morning show anchored by a woman of colour. Don't under-estimate how big a deal that is.

November 29, 2021 9:34 pm  #15

I think getting Blair Bartrem involved is pretty smart. He's not a producer but he was a pretty good program director and a very bright marketing guy. It probably is a way to get him into Rogers Toronto campus and I expect he'll do a lot more for them. Having said that, I find this hire both interesting and confusing. It's clearly an attempt to lower their demo but that demo has left music radio in droves. I'm not a CHFI fan ( I like music) but I do wish Pooja and Gurdeep well. They're both likeable and that's something ( although so was Mo).

November 29, 2021 9:38 pm  #16

Rune wrote:

It's clearly an attempt to lower their demo but that demo has left music radio in droves.

People in their 30s and 40s?

November 29, 2021 10:05 pm  #17

Seems to me that CHFI is doing this right.  Pooja and Gurdeep have an executive producer, operator, and other support staff for the morning show.  The rehearsals would be normal for a new major market morning show, even for hosts with lots of radio experience.  CHFI was right in getting them out of studio this morning with a live audience for the introduction, and a bonus that the Star did a story.  The preview on December 8th another good move, and this helps Pooja and Gurdeep and the crew get ready and comfortable for the real show early in January.  Isn't December 8th when the next ratings come out?  The morning ratings are always interesting, but now even more.  This move by CHFI has already impacted morning television in Toronto and will soon for radio. 

I agree, with some other comments that the two hosts, with limited radio experience is not an issue.   The music on CHFI's morning show is a compliment but not the focus of the show.  The hosts normally won't be talking that much about the music anyway.    Both Pooja and Gurdeep are well known in the city and well regarded.  And as Aaron alluded to, the new show reflects the multi-cult make up of today's Toronto.  Another smart move by CHFI in my opinion.  Safe to say the battle for mornings has begun!

Last edited by paterson1 (November 29, 2021 10:08 pm)

November 29, 2021 11:53 pm  #18

I'm pulling for them to do well and win over the long time listeners as well as bring in new ones.

And they're getting the proper support so they're being set up for success.

The only radio skill they don't need to ace and something I hope they don't bother to recreate is the classic morning show bit when all the on-air crew faux laugh together at some weak joke or observation. These forced "funny moments" happen on a regular basis and are always cringe. worthy.