sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 22, 2021 12:15 pm  #1

Doc On Legendary Radio Station Temporarily Free Online - With A VPN

Back in 2019, I posted a short message about a new documentary called "WBCN And The American Revolution," about a freeform rock station that began in the late 1960s and became the CHUM-FM of Boston. It was unlike any format that had ever aired in New England before, taking the same route that 104.5 here would in its early progressive rock days. 

But unlike CHUM-FM, it wasn't in the hands of radio professionals at the beginning. Instead, a very button-down Harvard law student and club owner decided to take over the all-night programming of a struggling FM classical outlet in the city that was having severe financial troubles, by programming freeform rock overnight. In those days of Woodstock and hippies, the place would eventually become a sensation. 

Now that film, about how it happened, is available for free off of PBS' website, although you have to have a VPN set to the U.S. to see it. I've been through about half an hour of the 2-hour flick, and I'm hooked, taking a moment off to write this before going back to it. 

True, it's not about a place here most of us know. But it IS about a pioneering format and if you're into radio, it's a fascinating look at the evolution of prog rock as it once was. The vintage pics are great, along with interviews with the announcers and the people who were there at the time. None of them had any idea what they were doing - and, as it turns out, that's what made it work.

If this interests you and you have that VPN, you can watch it here

Thanks to the Oldies Music Board for making me aware that a movie I commented on two years ago was around for free. If you're into this stuff, it's well worth a look. But don't wait too long. It appears it will only be online until December 6th. 

[img]https://img1.wsimg.com/isteam/ip/9efc3909-466f-42f7-8fd7-94a80e8b21dc/bcn-poster27x40-2-final.jpg/:/rs=w:370,m,cg:true[/img]

November 23, 2021 8:10 am  #2

Re: Doc On Legendary Radio Station Temporarily Free Online - With A VPN

Interesting documentary. However, being a Top 40 guy at that time of my life, had I been a Boston resident then, WRKO and WMEX would have been my go to stations.

January 23, 2022 2:11 pm  #3

If you missed the online showing, didn't have a VPN or just couldn't get around to it, WNED in Buffalo is airing this 2-hour documentary on a landmark progressive rock radio station that became a sensation in Boston in the 60s and 70s. It became THE go-to station for various movements in that era, as well as introducing artists who would become prog rock superstars. 

I know it's about a station many of us have never heard of, but I've seen it and it was quite good. And besides - how often does anyone produce an actual documentary about rock radio? It airs from 9 PM-11 PM Monday night (Jan. 24th) with a replay Thursday morning at 3 AM on Channel 17. 

January 23, 2022 6:36 pm  #4

Once again,  thank you RA.  PVR set.

January 23, 2022 9:23 pm  #5

The WBCN tapes that I have are amongst the very best that I have found out in the wild so to speak. The set also had WVBF FM a sort of progressive/top 40 Hybrid. Plus WBZ FM when they launched Top 40 around 1973. I have uploaded most of the material to my site and it is likely the largest collection of WBCN air checks on the internet. I still have an hour or so that I have not uploaded.

The man responsible for this DOC was in touch with me a few years ago when he was starting the project. I hope I remember to tune in.

Finding these tapes was a stroke of luck and I continue to search for reel to reel, cassette and even 8 tracks in hopes of finding radio gems that would other-wise be tossed or perhaps recorded over. Every once in a while I get a hit.

This WBCN aircheck  and also this one pretty much encapsulate what was great about the station,

Last edited by Fitz (January 23, 2022 9:29 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

January 25, 2022 12:39 am  #6

I watched the doc and it was good but I am disappointed as they used audio from my tapes at least 5 different times maybe more and with no thanks at the end.

Some of my audio used included a segment from the Cat and Dog Report, a bit from news director Danny Schechter, Charles Laquidara and more.

I checked back on the emails I had with the producer back in 2015 and I did say I would be happy to contribute but we came to no firm agreement. One day I may write to him expressing my disappointment.

Cool Airchecks and More:

January 25, 2022 2:10 pm  #7

re my post above about not getting credit for my tape audio used in the film. I found an email from the producer/director from 2015 where he states that I would be given credit for anything used in the film.  I have sent that to him asking what happened and hopefully they can do something  to address the issue. 

Anyone have experience with an issue like this and if anything can be done now. I realize that perhaps I should not have immediately gone public with the issue but I was pissed.

Last edited by Fitz (January 25, 2022 2:13 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:

January 26, 2022 9:29 pm  #8

okay I jumped the gun and here's a happy resolution to the problem I described above. I got this back from the producer/director of the doc:

I just checked the film and your name is in the credits. The film that played in festivals, theatres, is on Amazon and on DVDs has YOUR NAME!!!! See attached screenshots. You can rent a copy on Amazon or ITunes or buy a DVD right now and you will see YOUR NAME!!!!
PBS edited the credits from nearly four minutes to 60 or 90 seconds for broadcast and cut substantial numbers of credits as they have a strict limit to the length for film credits.

Last edited by Fitz (January 26, 2022 9:29 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More: