sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 12, 2021 3:28 pm  #1

Guelph's Magic 106 Scoops Both CHFI and CHYM To Christmas

Out of nowhere comes Corus Radio's Magic 106 in Guelph that rolled into all Christmas tunes at 6:45 this morning.  I don't recall this station ever being 100% Christmas programming and never this early.  CHYM in Kitchener  has been the All Christmas Music Station here for years. They are in their regular format, and possibly weren't planning to make the move until November 20th, to coincide with the Kitchener Santa Clause Parade.  They resisted the early jump last year and didn't program all Christmas until November 21st.  Wonder if they will do anything this weekend? 

Magic is like a local station in Waterloo Region, they have been trying to make some inroads and now are included in the Kitchener/Waterloo ratings survey.  So this move is a surprise, and on air they have been promoting that they will be all Christmas until Boxing Day.  They have lots of Christmas station breaks so obviously it has been planned for a while.   Interesting to note that both CHFI and Magic are already playing some Christmas Carols in the music mix.  Magic at 106.1 can also be picked up off air in some parts of the GTA. 

November 12, 2021 3:36 pm  #2

Re: Guelph's Magic 106 Scoops Both CHFI and CHYM To Christmas

paterson1 wrote:

Magic is like a local station in Waterloo Region, they have been trying to make some inroads and now are included in the Kitchener/Waterloo ratings survey.  So this move is a surprise...

Them now being in the ratings actually makes it less of a surprise.

November 12, 2021 4:29 pm  #3

They didn't beat 'FI by much. Magic went All Xmas at 6:45 AM. CHFI pulled the trigger at 7 AM Friday morning, 15 minutes later. 

November 12, 2021 5:05 pm  #4

All of Bell's MOVE station have (or will) become all-Christmas at 4pm. This makes a first time for a couple of them, such as Peterborough and Kingston. Welcome to continuous measurement, diary markets!

November 12, 2021 5:20 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

They didn't beat 'FI by much. Magic went All Xmas at 6:45 AM. CHFI pulled the trigger at 7 AM Friday morning, 15 minutes later. 

I know but CHFI booms into Guelph and Magic has never been an All Christmas Station as far as I know.   Roger's CHYM in Kitchener has been the #1 station in KW/Cambridge/Guelph forever, and of course  the local All Christmas Music Station for a long time.  So they wanted to tweak the bear.  They likely weren't sure if CHYM was going to pull the change at the same time as CHFI, so they went 15 minutes early, just in case.  Sort of a cool idea in my opinion.  CHYM still in regular format. 

Interesting the community station in Fergus/Elora, (The Grand) just north of Guelph has a contest on right now, asking listeners how much Christmas music do they want to hear, and when should the station start.  The Grand last year didn't get into all Christmas until well into December.  This station also hits Guelph and most of K/W.  

November 12, 2021 6:29 pm  #6

paterson1 wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

I know but CHFI booms into Guelph and Magic has never been an All Christmas Station as far as I know.   Roger's CHYM in Kitchener has been the #1 station in KW/Cambridge/Guelph forever, and of course  the local All Christmas Music Station for a long time.  So they wanted to tweak the bear.  They likely weren't sure if CHYM was going to pull the change at the same time as CHFI, so they went 15 minutes early, just in case.  Sort of a cool idea in my opinion.  CHYM still in regular format. 

Interesting the community station in Fergus/Elora, (The Grand) just north of Guelph has a contest on right now, asking listeners how much Christmas music do they want to hear, and when should the station start.  The Grand last year didn't get into all Christmas until well into December.  This station also hits Guelph and most of K/W.  

Personally not every station can do all Christmas..   Talk about tune out of a medium.    Chym may look at Magic as a Guelph station and just keep their focus on KW, and do all Christmas as normal, but they could also change plans and flip Easy 1013 instead, and keep Chym as regular AC with some Christmas mixed in.   Only time will tell.  

November 12, 2021 6:37 pm  #7

EASY 101.3 went all Christmas this morning (don't know what time, does it even matter?) and so did FRESH 103.1... the London Santa Claus parade is tomorrow so I guess it makes sense for stations that are willing to do this but I won't have either on until after Christmas now.

FYI... EASY 101.3 is not only physically located in London now but identifies as such on air... London's Easy 101 even though it is licenced to Tillsonburg.

Last edited by zed (November 12, 2021 6:39 pm)

November 12, 2021 6:39 pm  #8

They've already flipped 101.3.

Markets that already have two Christmas stations: London, Peterborough, Halifax, Vancouver.

November 12, 2021 7:08 pm  #9

RadioAaron wrote:

They've already flipped 101.3.

Markets that already have two Christmas stations: London, Peterborough, Halifax, Vancouver.

And all of the stations that don't go all Christmas but mix in the music with the regular format sometime in December and heavy up a bit before the 25th.  That's what most still do.  

November 19, 2021 8:14 pm  #10

CHYM FM made the switch to Christmas music after the morning show today.  9am kicked off the Christmas marathon with Burl Ives Have a Holly Jolly Christmas.  Kitchener and area will have a few Santa Clause parades happening this weekend.   CHYM has been the original All Christmas Station in Waterloo Region for some time now.  

November 19, 2021 8:36 pm  #11

Staggering innovation. Backslaps and wheezy guffaws all around.

November 20, 2021 11:06 pm  #12

If I had been the talented Maureen Holloway, after being let go from the morning show at CHFI one of the first things I would have thought with a rush of savage joy would have been "Oh my god, this means I don't have to listen to that godawful 24/7 Christmas music this year! Hell yeah!!!" Or sentiments to that effect. 🥴🥳

November 20, 2021 11:54 pm  #13

I pickup Magic 106 decently over the air here at my place in Etobicoke not far from Pearson and happened to hear Xmas music on Friday.   I tuned out as not in the mood yet for it. 

The station is good otherwise, surprised as a 50,000 watter that it’s coverage isn’t more but I don’t even think their tower is on a decent hill last time I checked

November 21, 2021 12:20 am  #14

markow202 wrote:

I pickup Magic 106 decently over the air here at my place in Etobicoke not far from Pearson and happened to hear Xmas music on Friday. I tuned out as not in the mood yet for it.

The station is good otherwise, surprised as a 50,000 watter that it’s coverage isn’t more but I don’t even think their tower is on a decent hill last time I checked

The station and co-owned CJOY share a transmitter site on Laird Road at Pioneer Trail... been there for decades now.  Four towers total on the site, including a taller tower, possibly part of 1460's directional array, with 106.1's six-bay antenna on top.

November 21, 2021 9:54 am  #15

Here is their coverage area.  I heard Majic 106 in a business on Yonge St (mid town) about six years ago, don't know if it was on cable or off air. 

November 21, 2021 11:02 am  #16

Just noticed that CKPC, aka Lite 92.1 in Brantford, has also gone All Christmas. Even though its website notes the Roger Ashby Oldies Show is currently airing as I post this, on air they've let the Yule rule. I suppose that means Ashby will not be back until late in December or the New Year. 

Meanwhile, Evanov's other Ashby affiliate, Lite 88.5, continues its normal format and the show is airing there as usual. 

November 21, 2021 1:18 pm  #17

RadioActive wrote:

Just noticed that CKPC, aka Lite 92.1 in Brantford, has also gone All Christmas.  

Makes sense with K-Lite out of the picture this year.

November 21, 2021 1:34 pm  #18

I tend to avoid Christmas music - not because I have anything against the tunes - but because there is so much repetition in the music. One show I really get a kick of out is Sam Ward's An Old Fashioned Christmas, which is linked below (scroll down to the bottom). Sam - a totally blind announcer who does all of his research and production - goes back as far as 1898 for some of the earliest Yuletide favourites, and plays nothing past 1950. Not suggesting today's stations play this older music, but it is interesting to hear these long-ago recordings.

http://rockradioscrapbook.ca/xmas.html

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

November 21, 2021 5:09 pm  #19

Dale Patterson wrote:

I tend to avoid Christmas music - not because I have anything against the tunes - but because there is so much repetition in the music. One show I really get a kick of out is Sam Ward's An Old Fashioned Christmas, which is linked below (scroll down to the bottom). Sam - a totally blind announcer who does all of his research and production - goes back as far as 1898 for some of the earliest Yuletide favourites, and plays nothing past 1950. Not suggesting today's stations play this older music, but it is interesting to hear these long-ago recordings.

There are a lot of links on this page that I want to hear.  This is all new for me.

Thanks Dale.

Last edited by Media Observer (November 21, 2021 5:09 pm)

November 21, 2021 5:33 pm  #20

I have fond memories of Pete and Geets playing punk Christmas carols on CFNY. You haven't celebrated Christmas until you've heard a screamed version of Silent Night with extra emphasis on the word "virgin".

November 21, 2021 6:20 pm  #21

Hansa wrote:

I have fond memories of Pete and Geets playing punk Christmas carols on CFNY. You haven't celebrated Christmas until you've heard a screamed version of Silent Night with extra emphasis on the word "virgin".

Oh my goodness.  I'll never forget the first time I heard The Yobs' Christmas album.  Here is one of the least inoffensive ones (actually, I think it's quite good on its own) but there are a few that I bet even even CFNY wouldn't touch back in the day.  They actually made two Christmas albums and can be found in their entirety on YouTube. 

November 21, 2021 7:57 pm  #22

Media Observer wrote:

Dale Patterson wrote:

There are a lot of links on this page that I want to hear.  This is all new for me.

Lots more on the main site:

http://rockradioscrapbook.ca

Thanks Dale.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

November 21, 2021 8:30 pm  #23

Dale Patterson wrote:

Media Observer wrote:

Dale Patterson wrote:

Lots more on the main site:

http://rockradioscrapbook.ca

Thanks Dale.

👍👍

November 23, 2021 10:24 am  #24

This article is from the L.A. area, but if you substitute KOST-FM for CHFI, you'll easily get the idea. It talks about the popularity of All Christmas formats, and how competitors can fight against this sometimes-baffling (to many of us) ratings winner.

It essentially advises counter-programmers mix in at least three Yule-type tunes an hour, in order to evoke "precious memories" in listeners, which won't interrupt your usual music mix but will tempt some who want the spirit of the season without going whole hog. I think the advice is interesting but I'm not sure if it will work. 

"If you are a station going up against a holiday music station, play holiday music just like they do, only call it “precious memories.” Perhaps look for weaknesses in the other station’s format — such as the avoidance of religious Christmas music — and add it to yours to distinguish yourself. Get sponsors and tie them to the format. Start earlier, and run later than the other station … as late as going a week past New Year’s Day, and consider easing back into the regular format rather than making an abrupt switch.

"I’m not so sure I agree, at least with all of it. Certainly, if all stations went all-holiday, the pushback would be immense. Spotify, Apple Music, et al, would be ecstatic." 

He also notes that even with these measures, stations that have associated themselves as being the city's "All Christmas" go-to place over the years probably won't feel the effects. 

In the end, while many of us here hate the all-Yule rule, and can't quite figure out why people want to hear this 24 hours a day for over a month, it's here to stay. And as long as it keeps working, like Santa and the holidays, it will come every single year. 

All-holiday music is No. 1: Here’s what radio competitors should do

November 23, 2021 12:01 pm  #25

Interesting article but I don't think playing "precious memories" which in fact is just more Christmas music would be the thing to do.  He seems to be advocating starting earlier and going later than your competition which makes sense for some things but not Christmas music in my opinion. 

The real question are- Does CHFI pick up a lot of new listeners when they play Christmas music?  Does most of their regular audience just stay with them and are not turned off by the change in format?  Or do they lose a chunk of their regular audience with the Christmas music and where do they go?  If CHFI picks up a bunch of new listeners for five or six weeks, where do these new listeners go after the Christmas music goes? Does the new audience stay with CHFI when they go back to regular format, if not where do they go? The listeners that CHFI lost over the Christmas season, do they come back?

The article is likely correct that stations like CHFI who originated the All Christmas Music are likely not affected by others in the market that do the same thing.  I don't think Christmas music lovers flip between Christmas stations to see who is playing better music.  Others that flip to a Christmas format won't see any benefit in ratings since the audience that likes the seasonal music have already found their station. 

Best thing to do is either stay with your regular format musically or what most stations normally do, just mix in some Christmas material with the regular music.  And if your format is rock like Q107 you obviously play the music that  your audience won't mind from artists like Bruce Springsteen or The Payolas etc. 

The Christmas music is also somewhat a test as to the loyalty of your audience, since everyone isn't going to like the change.  If they stay with you over the five or six weeks and aren't moved to another station, that indicates  loyal listeners, that still will listen to the station, and personalities and information you offer.  CHFI's new morning show coming on stream the end of November is a good move since it gives those who may not like all the Christmas tunes a reason to listen with the new well known hosts. . 

The precious memories thing is interesting though, not the Christmas music so much but music taking you back to a happier time or youth.  This could be why BOOM and Q107 do so well.  Bringing back the happy times and memories of a younger you with the classic music.  Where were you when this song came out in the summer of 1988?  

Last edited by paterson1 (November 23, 2021 12:05 pm)