sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 19, 2021 4:32 pm  #31

Re: Is This A TV Event You'll Be Watching?

The idea of redoing old TV sitcoms with a new cast in front of a live studio audience is back - but this time, not with All In The Family. The new choices for the ABC special franchise are Diff'rent Strokes and The Facts of Life, to air Dec. 7th. 

I was never a fan of either of those shows - probably not in the demo when they were running - but Kevin Hart in the role made famous by Gary Coleman? What you talking about Willis?

Live in Front of a Studio Audience Returning to ABC With Episodes of Diff'rent Strokes and Facts of Life

November 19, 2021 6:06 pm  #32

Besides his ABC promo duties, Ernie Anderson was also the off-camera announcer for the Carol Burnette Show on CBS.  As well, he was one of Chuck Blore's first call announcers for commercials.  I hired Ernie a bunch of times for some of my clients and since this was before days of internet recordings, I physically flew to LA to record him.  He could be BIT intimidating, as he was often ask:  "Did you wrote this shit", but since I had seen his recording studio 'act' when I had visited my former creative partner Bill McDonald after he was hired at Chuck Blore's company in 1978, I knew Ernie was all bluster.  He was amazing to work with though.  Ernie and his pal Tim Conway released several albums of comedy interviews with each other on the Liberty label.  I have one and brought it to one of my sessions with Ernie.  His quip when I asked him to sign it, "Oh, so you're the guy who bought it?". 

November 19, 2021 11:12 pm  #33

Ernie Anderson was also well known as the original Ghoulardi  - an infamous 1960s creature feature host in Cleveland, a comic creation that was part beatnik, part Bela Lugois. Anderson often teamed up with a friend named Tim Conway, writing and acting in sketches together. 

Anderson is the father of Paul T. Anderson, director of films such as Boogie Nights and Magnolia. 

November 21, 2021 6:39 pm  #34

Ernie Anderson was also a friend of the late City TV anchor Mark Dailey, who knew him from their days in Ohio and used to talk about him all the time. 

Anderson did a lot of things during his career in TV and radio, but perhaps the most famous gig he ever got could be best expressed in three short words: "The Love Boat."

Ernie was the guy who said that title in a very exaggerated way in those infamous ABC promos and it became an instant viral expression in the days before the Internet. I remember when The Love Canal in the U.S. was a huge story, and some anchors were always tempted to pronounce it the same way as Anderson did. Most resisted the urge.