sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 16, 2021 6:22 pm  #1

We Interrupt This Program - Alert Ready Test Coming To TV & Radio Wed.

Your phone will go off, and so will the picture on your TV and the sound on your radio, as another Emergency Alert test hits devices nationwide Wednesday. It's scheduled in Ontario for 12:55 PM. 

Ironically, the only part of the country that won't be in on the test is B.C. - because there's already an emergency underway there. 

Knowing this in advance, you'd think the stations involved would be aware it's coming and time it out for listeners. But they never do and I expect regular broadcasts to simply be interrupted mid-sentence and mid-song without those on-air being the wiser. 

Emergency Alert Schedule

November 16, 2021 6:26 pm  #2

Re: We Interrupt This Program - Alert Ready Test Coming To TV & Radio Wed.

RadioActive wrote:

Knowing this in advance, you'd think the stations involved would be aware it's coming and time it out for listeners. But they never do and I expect regular broadcasts to simply be interrupted mid-sentence and mid-song without those on-air being the wiser. 

Oh but it won't interrupt radio ads....NOOOOOO!!! NEVER EVER!! So who planned out what? lol

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 16, 2021 9:47 pm  #3

Sometimes it works, sometimes not so much.

November 17, 2021 8:44 am  #4

Thanks for the heads up. I will probably be sitting in my mechanics waiting room while my winter tires are installed on my vehicle when the alert happens.

November 17, 2021 11:24 am  #5

I'm actually surprised this hasn't been on any TV or radio newscast warning viewers/listeners that it's coming. You'd think they might want to mention that some people will find their signals interrupted in the afternoon or that their phones will go off. News you can use. But for some reason, no one is using it. 

By the way, the Canadian Press indicates that these tests are scheduled bi-annually, once in May and once in the third week of November. So after this one, things should be quiet until next spring. 

November 17, 2021 3:12 pm  #6

John Moore mentioned it twice this morning ... spent a bit of time on it.

November 17, 2021 4:18 pm  #7

I missed those references and I was listening part of the morning. I was just surprised it wasn't mentioned in any of the radio newscasts I heard. Which was a fair number of them.