sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 15, 2021 10:21 am  #1

Z103.5

It appears Pina and Tony Monaco are out at Z103.5. Morning show is music only - no announcers and a promotion for a new morning show next Monday November 22. Both are gone from the Z103.5 website. Tony Monaco has been there for over 20 years and Pina was there twice doing middays. She filled in mornings when Kat went on maternity leave and stayed when Scott Fox left. Tony Monaco has done every shift at one time or another during his years there. 

November 15, 2021 10:37 am  #2

Re: Z103.5

Storm wrote:

It appears Pina and Tony Monaco are out at Z103.5. Morning show is music only - no announcers and a promotion for a new morning show next Monday November 22. Both are gone from the Z103.5 website. Tony Monaco has been there for over 20 years and Pina was there twice doing middays. She filled in mornings when Kat went on maternity leave and stayed when Scott Fox left. Tony Monaco has done every shift at one time or another during his years there. 

I don't know about Pina, but I highly doubt Mr. Monaco is gone from the Evanov Radio group. 
A little vacation time maybe, then back to doing something for them, even if it's not the Z 103 morning show.
That's my guess...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 15, 2021 11:03 am  #3

Radiowiz wrote:

Storm wrote:

I don't know about Pina, but I highly doubt Mr. Monaco is gone from the Evanov Radio group. 
A little vacation time maybe, then back to doing something for them, even if it's not the Z 103 morning show.
That's my guess...

I tend to agree with this statement.   Tony unless he leaves on his own, will survive anything.    Pina will bounce back as well...   She's talented... Not sure on mornings perhaps, but I always liked her while at CHUM. 

Last edited by radiokid (November 15, 2021 11:04 am)

November 15, 2021 11:39 am  #4

Tony Monaco is a legend at the station (perhaps growing out of it at this time?) but to have no morning show is weird.  

November 15, 2021 1:19 pm  #5

markow202 wrote:

Tony Monaco is a legend at the station (perhaps growing out of it at this time?) but to have no morning show is weird.  

A new morning show is coming November 22, 2021, so there is nothing weird going on.

November 15, 2021 1:20 pm  #6

Just checked their website and Tony Monaco is still listed as doing the morning show.

November 15, 2021 9:35 pm  #7

torontostan wrote:

Not to be outdone by CHFI's Pooja and Gurdeep, Z103.5 is happy to announce the addition of Nick Dixon and Stephanie Smyth to the morning show! ;) 

you don't say?   ratings...  Ratings...  RATINGS.....

November 15, 2021 10:04 pm  #8

Hrick wrote:

Just checked their website and Tony Monaco is still listed as doing the morning show.

Here's what their website says about him as of Monday night. Hmm...

"The Legendary TONY MONACO every Monday and Tuesday from 10pm to 1am, Saturdays 11am-5pm and Sundays 4pm-9pm and cameo appearances during the week."

Yet it also says under his name "Morning Show." And if you click on his personal website listed on that same page, it goes to a 404 Page Not Found.

Again, hmmm.

November 16, 2021 8:07 am  #9

Z103 Morning show ads:
Toronto Hamilton and Mississauga. Not a single reason to go to Orangeville and shop.
Fusion fitness Mississauga, some Jewelry store in Mississauga and Glowzone 360 Brampton/Mississauga.
An Oakville shoe store.
An ad for Access Storage.
An ad for Harvey's
An ad for McCafe
Not a single ad for anything in Orangeville. So much for being an Orangeville station. 
Gee it sure would be nice to know why one should go shop at the Orangeville shopping centre...oh well.

November 16, 2021 9:00 am  #10

I don't listen to Z103.5. I believe they still are a CHR station with more emphasis on dance/club music. Several years ago, didn't the CRTC demand the station owners increase their news and information coverage pertaining to Orangeville, their actual city of licence? Do they have "any" newscasts currently?

November 16, 2021 9:38 am  #11

They do have news weekday mornings on the hour - 103 second newsbreak done by Stacey Englehart. And they do identify themselves as an Orangeville radio station during their hourly station identification. But their focus is on the GTA. And Tony Monaco is back on their website. Pina is not.

November 16, 2021 11:29 am  #12

Radiowiz wrote:

Z103 Morning show ads:
Toronto Hamilton and Mississauga. Not a single reason to go to Orangeville and shop.
Fusion fitness Mississauga, some Jewelry store in Mississauga and Glowzone 360 Brampton/Mississauga.
An Oakville shoe store.
An ad for Access Storage.
An ad for Harvey's
An ad for McCafe
Not a single ad for anything in Orangeville. So much for being an Orangeville station. 
Gee it sure would be nice to know why one should go shop at the Orangeville shopping centre...oh well.

This will never change, but this could also be the fault of Orangeville themself and its businesses.  They are probably paying what I assume would be a  cheaper rate to advertise on MY FM or the Shelburne Station.  I only heard anything "Orangeville" in their top of the hour ID, and even then its kind of hidden because they always say serving the hits for "Orangeville, newmarket, Toronto etc... 

November 16, 2021 11:36 am  #13

markow202 wrote:

This will never change, but this could also be the fault of Orangeville themself and its businesses.  They are probably paying what I assume would be a  cheaper rate to advertise on MY FM or the Shelburne Station.

Yes, their ad rates would reflect the size of their signal. Not the most efficient way for an Orangeville business to advertise. On top of that, there are fewer and fewer truly "local" business every year. Not many stores in the mall making their own marketing decisions.

November 16, 2021 1:15 pm  #14

When Z103 went full time to the dance format many years ago and then CHR hybrid, or whatever they are now, they were done as an Orangeville station.  To me they are a Toronto/GTA broadcaster and have been for a long time.  And let's face it Orangeville has morphed into a booming bedroom community, at least as compared to 30-35 years ago.  Z103 must be the money maker for Evanov Radio, with a 3% share in Toronto and a daily cume of 234,500 is respectable. 

November 16, 2021 2:00 pm  #15

RadioAaron wrote:

markow202 wrote:

This will never change, but this could also be the fault of Orangeville themself and its businesses.  They are probably paying what I assume would be a  cheaper rate to advertise on MY FM or the Shelburne Station.

Yes, their ad rates would reflect the size of their signal. Not the most efficient way for an Orangeville business to advertise. On top of that, there are fewer and fewer truly "local" business every year. Not many stores in the mall making their own marketing decisions.

It's at a point where the mall itself would have to be interested in advertising. Otherwise, the mall has tons of businesses that can be found pretty much anywhere in Toronto and the GTA.  

November 16, 2021 2:26 pm  #16

paterson1 wrote:

When Z103 went full time to the dance format many years ago and then CHR hybrid, or whatever they are now, they were done as an Orangeville station.  To me they are a Toronto/GTA broadcaster and have been for a long time.  And let's face it Orangeville has morphed into a booming bedroom community, at least as compared to 30-35 years ago.  Z103 must be the money maker for Evanov Radio, with a 3% share in Toronto and a daily cume of 234,500 is respectable. 

Indeed it would be.  Sister station 88.5 stays focused on York Region/Newmarket it seems but probably due to weak signal to the south? 

November 16, 2021 2:35 pm  #17

Part of the rent that all stores pay every month goes towards advertising and promotion for the mall.  The mall in Orangeville will be advertising on CKMO (FM 101 Orangeville), the local paper and likely haven't been on Z103 for a long time. They probably do a bit of advertising in the Shelburne/Grand Valley area. Individual stores in any mall, unless they are an independent, will do very little if any local advertising.  For chain stores, all the advertising comes from head office, not locally, as already mentioned.  

November 16, 2021 2:48 pm  #18

paterson1 wrote:

Part of the rent that all stores pay every month goes towards advertising and promotion for the mall.  The mall in Orangeville will be advertising on CKMO (FM 101 Orangeville), the local paper and likely haven't been on Z103 for a long time. They probably do a bit of advertising in the Shelburne/Grand Valley area. Individual stores in any mall, unless they are an independent, will do very little if any local advertising.  For chain stores, all the advertising comes from head office, not locally, as already mentioned.  

Z103 is licenced to be an Orangeville radio station but yet, instead of broadcasting live from the Orangeville mall to get people to order Freedom mobile, they'd rather be live from Scarborough Town Centre.  
They're lucky CRTC didn't shut them down. Instead they just allowed them to carry on while granting MY FM the go ahead to serve Orangeville..."properly".  

It will be interesting to see what the new morning show will sound like on November 22 and whether or not they still sound very Toronto driven.   

Last edited by Radiowiz (November 16, 2021 2:50 pm)

November 16, 2021 3:22 pm  #19

There are other "Toronto" stations that aren't licensed to the city.  AM 640 and Q 107 are licensed to Richmond Hill, York Region.  CFNY licensed to the city of Brampton, so Z 103 is in fairly good company.  Their audience and revenue has been in the Toronto area for decades.  The CRTC has only shut down a handful of stations in 50 years.  They are more apt to give a shorter renewal if a station is flaunting the rules.  With Orangeville having another radio station that is very local, I doubt the commission really cares that much about Z being considered an Orangeville station anymore. Other than when they do the official ID for the station.  I am sure the new morning show will be very GTA based, unless they are considering the syndication route with an imported show.  Hopefully Evanov wouldn't be that foolish.  

November 16, 2021 3:35 pm  #20

paterson1 wrote:

With Orangeville having another radio station that is very local, I doubt the commission really cares that much about Z being considered an Orangeville station anymore. Other than when they do the official ID for the station.  I am sure the new morning show will be very GTA based, unless they are considering the syndication route with an imported show.  Hopefully Evanov wouldn't be that foolish.  

That's what the CRTC did. They gave MY FM permission to broadcast in Orangeville as punishment to CIDC for not serving Orangeville properly. 

November 16, 2021 3:40 pm  #21

paterson1 wrote:

There are other "Toronto" stations that aren't licensed to the city.  AM 640 and Q 107 are licensed to Richmond Hill, York Region.  CFNY licensed to the city of Brampton, so Z 103 is in fairly good company.  Their audience and revenue has been in the Toronto area for decades.  The CRTC has only shut down a handful of stations in 50 years.  They are more apt to give a shorter renewal if a station is flaunting the rules.  With Orangeville having another radio station that is very local, I doubt the commission really cares that much about Z being considered an Orangeville station anymore. Other than when they do the official ID for the station.

I have to take issue with that last part of your comment. In December 2017, the CRTC came down hard on Evanov for essentially treating Z103.5 like a Toronto station. 

In a tersely worded rebuke, the Commission all but ordered them to remember their city of licence and to serve it a lot better than they were. A thread about this from back then shows exactly what the regulator ordered, and I think the station was careful for a while about heeding that laying down of the law. What doesn't surprise me, since I don't listen to it, is that the comments here seem to indicate they've slowly but surely encroaching on that old turf they were told to keep off of.

Interestingly, your first point about the area of licences for Q, 640 and CFNY, were all used by Evanov to try and point out to the CRTC that it would be unfair to let those stations be Toronto-centric and not them, but the Commission wasn't having it. 

This was a big deal in 2017, but as time has gone on, perhaps they're hoping the folks in Hull won't notice them creeping back over the line. 

Dec. 2017: CRTC Z103.5 Licence Renewal Ruling

November 16, 2021 3:58 pm  #22

RadioActive has nailed it.  But a couple of observations.   First CILQ was never licensed as a Richmond Hill station.   My recollection (I was at the hearing) is that CILQ was licensed as a Toronto station. My recollection is that Slaight Broadcasting was the original licensee of CILQ.    It had been licensed at one point to have its studios in North York - when North York was a separate borough.  CFGM was originally licensed as a Richmond Hill station.  
By the time Corus owned CILQ - it was referenced in a 2006 CRTC decision as "North York".  I also recall that there were actual studios at one time on Yonge St., in North York.  But CILQ was licensed to serve Toronto, plain and simple.  The situation with CFNY was somewhat different than CIDC, and after the Allen Bros, lost control of the station (one of the Bros, went to prison for his part in a fraud), and the trustee in bankruptcy was permitted to sell it to Civitas Corporation of QC,  the CRTC allowed the relocation of the transmitter for CFNY to the CN Tower.  In other words the licensee of the "day" went through all of the proper "hoops" to relocate the station and hence its primary service area.   Not so for CIDC.  For years, Dufferin Communications/Evanov have skirted around the rules.  BTW, there are other Toronto stations that legally have their studios outside of the municipal boundaries of the City of Toronto, because the CRTC in a review of the Commercial Radio Policy, allowed for studio relocations. CIRV-FM moved its studio (legally) from Dundas St. West (Little Portugal) to Brampton a few years ago. CIRV-FM continues to transmit from First Canadian Place - as licensed.  But as RA has observed, the CIDC/Z103.5 situation is entirely different.  Every few years, the gang over at Evanov invent some sort of new way of relocating the station, either by way of a frequency swap, or antenna move - the most recent being a frequency swap for Evanov's Orangeville and Toronto LGBTQ (I think I'm missing some letters) 103.9, and a relocation of both transmitters to FCP.  But the CRTC was not buying it (again).  It's complicated, and when applicants use the argument "but others are doing it"...the argument seldom holds water...the CRTC has a very, very, long memory...when it wants to.
One more tidbit.  The Slaights had to divest CFGM and CILQ-FM, when Slaight Broadcasting bought CKFM, CFRB and other stations.  In the divestment decision (Westcom Radio Group Ltd was the purchaser) the CRTC did raise the issue of the lack of service to Richmond hill on the part of CFGM.  See Broadcasting Decision CRTC 85-1147.  But apparently that had been somewhat sorted out at CFGM's licence renewal hearing that preceeded the divestiture to Westcom.  Westcom ponied up some sort of remote "stagecoach" studio to better serve the York Region with programming.  But by 2006, the CRTC had abandonned most if not all local programming obligations for AM stations, in the Radio Regulations.   FM stations were and are still required to originate 30% of their weekly programming locally (i.e. city of licence) if they are to be permitted to sell local airtime.  Bottom line, it's a complicated Rubic's cube regarding "city of licence" and programming commitments.  IMHO CIDC has been the poster child for flaunting the policies and regulations of the Commission for decades.  But when you really drill down to what has been going on, other broadcasters with few exceptions, have some semblance of service to their cities of licence.  One other observation.  Corus got into trouble with one of their Hamilton stations relocating the morning show - to Toronto to try and break into the country radio market here.   I seem to recall that Gary Slaight filed a complaint with the CRTC, and the CRTC ordered Corus to cease and desist.  But that was a while ago.  Suffice it to say, the policies of the CRTC sometimes have teeth.

Last edited by tvguy (November 16, 2021 4:14 pm)

November 16, 2021 4:38 pm  #23

Good points gentlemen and thanks for enlightening me. I did notice that Z103 offices and studios are in west end Toronto (Etobicoke) and I assume they have no Orangeville office anymore. I don't listen to the station much but last time I did they did include Orangeville in the weather forecast, along with other communities including Toronto and did make reference to the Orangeville area, hwy #10 with traffic reports which also included GTA traffic. Official ID's they do say CIDC Orangeville last that I heard.   So if this was all the CRTC was looking for, then it sounds like they are complying. I do think with the other Orangeville station, CKMO and relatively new area stations in Shelburne, Erin, Fergus and even Mount Forest  this takes the heat off of Z103 being a local Orangeville area station.

November 16, 2021 6:14 pm  #24

I always felt Tony on mornings was temporary. He was usually live to air from a club most nights and weekends. But with the pandemic shutting everybody down, and Scott and Kat bailing, he was moved to mornings. My guess is he's returning to live to air broadcasts.

November 16, 2021 6:29 pm  #25

One more thing.  Evanov/Dufferin have always cried wolf whenever the CRTC has considered issuing licences for Orangeville and Shelburne.  Here's a gem that distills their objection to MyBroadcasting's application to serve orangeville.  One is tempted to ask "what local service"???? did CIDC actually provide to Orangeville in 2014 or anytime prior to 2014 when they objected to MBC's application.  This, from the 2014 application approving MBC's application.  CRTC ripped apart Evanov's (weak) argument.  MBC prevailed.CIDC-FM Orangeville
[list=1]
[*]"Dufferin submitted that approval of MBC’s application “would cause significant harm to the quality of the service that CIDC-FM is able to provide to this small community.” It further submitted that the combination of MBC’s Orangeville and Alliston, Ontario=12pxFootnote 3 proposals would, if approved, “create a superstation that would be spread over a large geographical area.” 
[*]Dufferin disagreed with MBC’s allegations that CIDC-FM had essentially abandoned the Orangeville market by re-orienting its programming towards the Greater Toronto Area. It argued that the inclusion of Orangeville as part of the Toronto CMA (as defined by Statistics Canada), a geographical definition used, notably, by the Broadcast Bureau of Measurement (BBM) and the Financial Post’s Canadian Demographics, has forced CIDC-FM to compete with all other Toronto radio market stations to remain profitable and continue to provide local programming to Orangeville residents.  
[*]In reply, MBC reiterated that CIDC-FM has moved away from serving Orangeville, and that it is repositioning itself as “Toronto’s heritage CHR station.” In regard to the claim that CIDC-FM needs to compete with other Toronto stations, MBC suggested that the station’s advertising rates were more in line with rates charged by stations competing within the Toronto radio market, and were too expensive for smaller Orangeville businesses to pay.
[*]As indicated above, the Commission is of the view that CIDC-FM’s financial performance and programming suggest that the station targets the Toronto radio market rather than the Orangeville radio market. Consequently, the Commission finds that MBC’s proposed radio station would not have a significant negative financial impact on CIDC-FM."
[/list]

Last edited by tvguy (November 16, 2021 6:30 pm)

November 16, 2021 6:49 pm  #26

tvguy wrote:

One other observation.  Corus got into trouble with one of their Hamilton stations relocating the morning show - to Toronto to try and break into the country radio market here.   I seem to recall that Gary Slaight filed a complaint with the CRTC, and the CRTC ordered Corus to cease and desist.  But that was a while ago.  Suffice it to say, the policies of the CRTC sometimes have teeth.

That frequency's morning show is back in Toronto again.

November 16, 2021 8:43 pm  #27

RadioAaron wrote:

That frequency's morning show is back in Toronto again.

To be extra clear, that frequency's CURRENT morning show is back in Toronto again...not the morning show of that time.

November 16, 2021 9:01 pm  #28

But none of the CING hosts originate in Hamilton. Mornings from Toronto, midday is beamed in from Barrie I believe, afternoons from Toronto and evenings from Montreal.

November 16, 2021 9:05 pm  #29

Afternoons are (usually) from Hamilton.

November 17, 2021 1:23 pm  #30

Technically the CRTC policy is based on the 126 hour week - based on the 18-hour day 6am to midnight.
That's just over 5-1/2 hours a day Monday-Sunday that "should" be local.  Some stations use a loophole of voice tracking, and claim that the VT is actually played back at the radio station, and thus qualifies as  "local" programming.  But is it????  It would be interesting to see what Rachel Marleau, head of radio at the CRTC thinks.