sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 8, 2021 7:13 pm  #1

Jessica Smith New Weather Person At CTV Toronto

Another new weather person on CTV News at 6 tonight. I understand she is based at CTV Kitchener. Is this a permanent move to Toronto or a temporary fill-in?

November 8, 2021 8:05 pm  #2

Re: Jessica Smith New Weather Person At CTV Toronto

Here's her background:

Jessica Smith

My favorite fact:

"She was voted the "Best TV Weather Person" in the Prairie Dog Best of Regina 2019"

Hey, you can't do much better than that...

As for whether (weather?) she's permanent or not, it's hard to say, especially once Lindsay Morrison returns from mat leave. But they definitely need another body. At noon, it was anchor weather, with few maps and little detail, something we're seeing a lot more of on CTV since they fired regulars Tom Brown and Anwar Knight. (And would it kill them to hire an actual meteorologist like their competitors?)

November 8, 2021 8:24 pm  #3

I've said it before and I will say it again. JUST SHUT THE CTV TORONTO weather department down and go to CP24 weather for Toronto already!! 

Bell has more money than brains I guess. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 8, 2021 10:05 pm  #4

Radiowiz wrote:

I've said it before and I will say it again. JUST SHUT THE CTV TORONTO weather department down and go to CP24 weather for Toronto already!! 

I would go further and just merge the CFTO and CP24 newsrooms.

November 8, 2021 10:44 pm  #5

@mace, any way to make your subject lines a bit more descriptive? Just posting a name alone and nothing else implies a death, sadly, where that's kind of been the SOWNY convention, before anyone clicks-in.

Why not a "slug" like "New weather presenter Jessica Smith" or "CTV Kitchener's Jessica Smith for Toronto?".

November 9, 2021 12:21 am  #6

That's a fair point and I've made the adjustment. Thanks to Mace for putting this thread up. I noticed she was on, too, and was surprised they finally, finally found an extra person to fill the gap. Took them long enough. I hope that's not the end of Michelle Jobin, though. (Do you suppose there's now a weather person shortage at CTV Kitchener? This is the second presenter they've taken from that farm team.)

November 9, 2021 1:00 am  #7

ED1 wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

I used to agree that news "From the CP24 News room" was a good idea, but then I also learn it's good to free up CP 24 for other reasons while CTV Toronto covers local news when it does. 

A good example,
News @ noon on CTV Toronto while CP 24 continues to be the question and answer content during that time.
(also uninterrupted speeches etc) 

It's tricky, because some people WANT to see live speeches and others just want a regular news broadcast.

November 9, 2021 8:26 am  #8

AspectRatio wrote:

@mace, any way to make your subject lines a bit more descriptive? Just posting a name alone and nothing else implies a death, sadly, where that's kind of been the SOWNY convention, before anyone clicks-in.

Why not a "slug" like "New weather presenter Jessica Smith" or "CTV Kitchener's Jessica Smith for Toronto?".

Thanks for the suggestion. I will remember that for future posts.

November 9, 2021 10:18 am  #9

I seem to remember CP24 and CTV are required to keep their own newsrooms under the CRTC agreement they made when buying CHUM...   These rules don't always get followed, but this one could be one of those they are not willing to play with and the CRTC has made clear, they are not going to budge. 

November 9, 2021 11:05 am  #10

I wonder if Jessica was actually in Toronto for the cast.  All CTV stations have the same weather graphics and I noticed at the end of CTV's Toronto cast last night for the long studio shot, Jessica wasn't with the two anchors on set and the weather board was dark.  There was nobody where the weather person would have been placed.  I have seen the occasional live weather on CTV news channel which uses weather people from all over the CTV network but the presentations and graphics are all the same and the weather person is still at their home base. 

CTV Kitchener usually has about 3 people who do weather (two weekdays and one weekend), so it will be interesting to see if Jessica has actually left locally or just filling in from time to time.  That's how Lindsay started when she appeared on Your Morning, she actually was still doing weather in Kitchener and would even do the odd music show on the local Virgin Radio station.   

November 9, 2021 11:25 am  #11

I suspect you're correct. They had no weather person on the noon and then Smith suddenly turned up on the 6. I think she was also pre-recorded for the 11:30 show, which I also happened to catch. The telltale sign of this comes when the anchor gives out the current temperature before throwing to the weather desk. The only reason for this is if the person giving the forecast isn't actually there - otherwise, why wouldn't she be doing that? 

I think they're just very shorthanded, although why they've left themselves with so few bodies is unfathomable to me. Saron Fanel, who is definitely NOT a weather forecaster, was back filling in on Saturday and Sunday for the first time in weeks. Where she went during that time is anyone's guess. 

Even if you think old style TV news shows are on the way out, weather is still one of the most important segments (especially as Southern Ontario heads into another winter) and not having anyone there who can specifically outline details of sat maps, long range radar, and other vital info, is cheating the viewer in my mind. (Well, what little is left of it!) 

November 9, 2021 2:36 pm  #12

It's just interesting how other stations, such as CTV Kitchener, seem to be better staffed (on-air anyway) than the flagship station in the network.

November 12, 2021 7:13 pm  #13

ED1 wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

Perhaps someone is listening...CP24's Chris Potter is doing the weather on tonight's 6:00 pm news. 

Last edited by Media Observer (November 12, 2021 7:14 pm)

November 13, 2021 11:43 am  #14

Bentwater wrote:

So much for appointment television viewing at 6pm for me from CFTO News. It has nothing to do with Jessica Smith.

The weather segments are reminiscent of the old cable 10 local news with its largely unwatchable weather maps and sometimes stuttering, uncertain talent. 

Why do they put a reporter on a live hit who tells me about the uncertainties of a story and it's being monitored.  Why is this person appearing on my television telling me they know nothing?

There's zero chance of any RTNDA recognition with this nightly eye sore.

Honestly, for the 11:30 PM CTV Toronto news, I don't care if the person live on location just stands there and farts!
I'm too happy that someone is even LIVE on location at that time of night in the first place.
Citynews turns out the lights @ 7PM and just airs everything that happened between 5 and 7 pm with a live newsreader that just reads news and spews what happened around 9:30 that evening. If lucky, a cameraman was on scene to film images but nobody to report anything. 
Live on location at 11pm? HA!!! GOOD ONE!! They can't even handle the volume! 
Test the volume before going to air? NAWWWW!!! That costs too much money, so the risk of muted news is extremely high, & muted volume is exactly what happened the other day. 
What a piece of SHIT Citynews@11 is in 2021!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!