sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 1, 2021 7:08 am  #1

Buffalo's Star 102.5 Goes All Christmas

They waited for Halloween to end before flipping the switch at midnight. Can CHFI be far behind?

Christmas music begins at Star 102.5

November 1, 2021 7:18 am  #2

Re: Buffalo's Star 102.5 Goes All Christmas

A radio consultant believes going all Yule all the time is a good choice for many stations, despite the format disruption.

"Some managers and programmers despise the tactic as they believe the change to All Christmas is a format change. I would argue that it isn’t a format change. It is a tactic. If you are the station that’s known for playing 100% Christmas music, then it’s another part of your on-going music format. You’ve established an expectation that needs to at worst be met and at best be exceeded."

The wisdom of going all Christmas - and when

November 1, 2021 7:21 am  #3

And today's the day I temporarily take Star 102.5 off my car's radio pre-sets.

November 1, 2021 7:54 am  #4

CHFI went all Christmas Monday Nov 2 last year at 5pm for the drive home.  So could be today at 5 for the Christmas marathon.  CHYM FM here in Kitchener will be flipping to all Christmas as well, I'll check to see if they are doing the same time as CHFI. 

Noticed that Buffalo's Star 102.5 is a bit of an also ran in the ratings.  They were the tenth most listened to station in September, so  nothing like CHFI who is usually one, two or three in Toronto.  Is Star actually a Hot A/C station?  They seem a bit mellow for Hot A/C whenever I have tuned them in, more pop than anything   They actually sound similar to CHFI. 

November 1, 2021 9:23 am  #5

paterson1 wrote:

CHFI went all Christmas Monday Nov 2 last year at 5pm for the drive home.  So could be today at 5 for the Christmas marathon.  CHYM FM here in Kitchener will be flipping to all Christmas as well, I'll check to see if they are doing the same time as CHFI. 

Noticed that Buffalo's Star 102.5 is a bit of an also ran in the ratings.  They were the tenth most listened to station in September, so  nothing like CHFI who is usually one, two or three in Toronto.  Is Star actually a Hot A/C station?  They seem a bit mellow for Hot A/C whenever I have tuned them in, more pop than anything   They actually sound similar to CHFI. 

WTSS had a bad book in September dropping from a 4.3 to 3.6. This placed them behind WECK at 3.7 and their main competition WMSX  at 4.1. We will find out in January if the Christmas flip helped. Personally, I think it might move them past 96.1.  106.5/93.7/930/96.9 need not worry.

November 1, 2021 10:27 am  #6

Star 102.5 has had a bad 2021 all around.

To answer Paterson's question; yes, they are. When Star is in Christmas music mode, Mediabase de-lists it from their Hot AC panel.

Last edited by ckg927 (November 14, 2021 7:05 pm)

November 1, 2021 10:45 am  #7

paterson1 wrote:

CHYM usually goes later than CHFI. Last year, I think it was November 20th....

November 1, 2021 11:01 am  #8

Leaves haven't even changed color yet!  If they even will this year....

Too early. 

November 1, 2021 11:44 am  #9

This seems to be a thing. On Monday alone, I've counted four stations that I know of besides WTSS to make the jump. 

Among them: stations in Louisville, Phoenix, Greenville (South Carolina), and Cincinatti. A station in Youngstown, Ohio already made the switch last week. 

November 1, 2021 1:52 pm  #10

Radio.Intern wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Yes, I think you are right, Seems like it was a few weeks after CHFI last year.  Does CHFI do any pre promo for this at all?  Nothing I could see on the website says anything about the shift today or tomorrow.  Actually 5pm drive is a great time to introduce Christmas music, but November 1st is kind of early.  A few years ago they flipped to the Christmas tunes the same day as the Toronto Santa Clause Parade, which is around Nov. 21st. 

November 1, 2021 3:43 pm  #11

paterson1 wrote:

Radio.Intern wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Yes, I think you are right, Seems like it was a few weeks after CHFI last year.  Does CHFI do any pre promo for this at all?  Nothing I could see on the website says anything about the shift today or tomorrow.  Actually 5pm drive is a great time to introduce Christmas music, but November 1st is kind of early.  A few years ago they flipped to the Christmas tunes the same day as the Toronto Santa Clause Parade, which is around Nov. 21st. 

Flipping on the day of the Santa Clause Parade was CHFI tradition until last year with the shift to a pre-taped parade at Canada's Wonderland. I remember last year, they did some pre promo on their socials & on-air the day of the flip. If the flip is the same this year, we should get some action tomorrow.

Last edited by Radio.Intern (November 1, 2021 3:45 pm)

November 1, 2021 3:50 pm  #12

You may be right. Just checked last year's thread and 98.1 went all Christmas at 5 PM November 2nd. (It was a Monday, so is it even possible they could go today? I doubt they would forego the chance at getting the advance publicity, but stranger things have happened. Stay tuned.)

[Update: 5 PM came and went Monday and no sign of tinsel tunes. But like Christmas, they will inevitably arrive.]

Last edited by RadioActive (November 1, 2021 5:04 pm)

November 1, 2021 7:36 pm  #13

As mentioned, CHFI went a bit earlier than usual last year, as did many stations in the US with the justification that COVID and its related lockdowns called for some cheering up. Plus, there was no live Santa Parade to sync it with.

This year, it may make sense to go early again as they're in a bit of a slump, and it would be an ideal time to debut and sync it with the new morning show.

November 3, 2021 9:07 am  #14

Still no Christmas tunes this morning on CHFI.  Wonder if they are going to wait until this weekend, Friday 5pm?  Maybe they are going to go back to coincide with the Santa Clause Parade on the 21st.  I think it is good they have waited, still too early IMHO for Christmas music.  I never listen to CHFI, but for some reason I had them on Monday afternoon for about two hours.  Actually not a bad station, music was easy to listen to pop.  The on air talent was good, upbeat and adult sounding, slick production/presentation/contests.  And they had the necessary traffic and news updates that any good major market station should have in afternoon drive.  I can see why they do well. 

November 6, 2021 8:06 pm  #15

Unless 'FI makes the jump this week, this will apparently be the first over-the-air Canadian radio station to dive into the Yule pool in 2021. It's from Vancouver and it starts ho-ho-holding back nothing on Friday, Nov. 12th. My sympathies to the jocks who have to sit through this treacle until sometime in late December!

A Vancouver radio station is switching to 24/7 Christmas tunes next week

November 7, 2021 12:03 pm  #16

RadioActive wrote:

Unless 'FI makes the jump this week, this will apparently be the first over-the-air Canadian radio station to dive into the Yule pool in 2021. It's from Vancouver and it starts ho-ho-holding back nothing on Friday, Nov. 12th. My sympathies to the jocks who have to sit through this treacle until sometime in late December!

A Vancouver radio station is switching to 24/7 Christmas tunes next week

At that particular station, that's one live body.

November 9, 2021 7:39 pm  #17

Here it is SOWNY crew... what you've all been waiting patiently for 
https://www.chfi.com/2021/11/09/all-christmas-music-starts-friday-7am/

CHFI flips the Christmas switch this Friday at 7AM.

Last edited by Radio.Intern (November 9, 2021 7:42 pm)

November 10, 2021 8:47 am  #18

2 stations in London have been promoting All Christmas Music and both are starting Friday. 
Fresh 103.1 Corus and Easy 101.3 Rogers. 
I'm not a fan of Christmas music so early and often, so I'll spend more time with Jack 102.3, Classic Rock 98.1 and Virgin 97.5. 

November 10, 2021 9:32 am  #19

CHFI is not a station I ever listen to. Flipping to all HO-HO-HO ensures that I never will.

November 10, 2021 11:32 am  #20

I am the same, not a big fan of all Christmas so early but if you are going to go all in, this Friday at 7am is a good time.  CHFI was criticized last year for launching the Christmas music before Remembrance Day, so bumping back to the 12th makes sense.  And the Santa Clause Parade this year again is a TV event from Canada's Wonderland on CTV 7pm on December 4th so that would be viewed as a bit late.
"
CHFI is not a station I listen to as a rule but I do respect their long success in the ratings and the fact they have carved out a nice segment for themselves as the "Christmas Music Station" in Toronto.  Anyone else that does the same thing is only copying them, and will look like a pale imitation.

I am sure they will have Santa on board to kick off the music marathon, but I wonder as Aaron pointed out over a week ago, if they will use this opportunity to announce something about their new morning show.  That's what a good radio station does, keep it interesting with always something happening for the listener. Tracy Moore from Cityline was a good choice filling in over the past 5-6 weeks. 

November 10, 2021 11:41 am  #21

December 9, 2021 11:23 am  #22

If you ever worked at CHFI or any of those radio stations that play non-stop Christmas music seemingly as early as July 1st, here's the perfect contest for you. Hotels.com is offering 25-free nights in one of their inns - but only if you can stay in a specially decked out Xmas room for 24 hours straight - with non-stop Yule gruel piped into the suite, which you can't turn off. 

I'm guessing those that work at stations where this is force fed to the audience - and they have to listen to it go by - will be able to win in a breeze. The only problem is you have to be American to enter. That doesn't seem quite fair - after all, no country officially owns the North Pole and few have winter as long as we do.

Still, a timely promo for the company. Just not a contest I think I could win. I'd probably be crawling out the window before the first 60 minutes was over. 

Hotels.com contest

December 9, 2021 10:33 pm  #23

RadioActive wrote:

If you ever worked at CHFI or any of those radio stations that play non-stop Christmas music seemingly as early as July 1st, here's the perfect contest for you. Hotels.com is offering 25-free nights in one of their inns - but only if you can stay in a specially decked out Xmas room for 24 hours straight - with non-stop Yule gruel piped into the suite, which you can't turn off. 

I'm guessing those that work at stations where this is force fed to the audience - and they have to listen to it go by - will be able to win in a breeze. The only problem is you have to be American to enter. That doesn't seem quite fair - after all, no country officially owns the North Pole and few have winter as long as we do.

Still, a timely promo for the company. Just not a contest I think I could win. I'd probably be crawling out the window before the first 60 minutes was over. 

Hotels.com contest

Hahahaha that's hilarious!😆😆😆

December 9, 2021 10:50 pm  #24

Sounds like that all or most of the myFM stations owned by My Broadcasting Corporation  have gone all Christmas such as CJGM-FM 99.9 myFM in Gananoque, Ontario which I had noticed today (December 9, 2021) while fine tuning the radio.

Even Bell Media's CFLY-FM Move Radio 98.3 in Kingston, Ontario is all Christmas!
https://www.iheartradio.ca/move/kingston/move-98-3-is-kingston-s-christmas-music-station-1.16556614

I don't ever recall 99.9 myFM Gan and Move 98.3 (formerly FLY FM) Kingston playing all Christmas music before!

December 17, 2021 11:05 am  #25

A list of songs I hope to avoid for the next week or so. 

Billboard's Greatest of All Time Holiday 100 Songs

December 17, 2021 11:19 am  #26

In the interest of equal time, after the Billboard best list...

Worst Christmas songs ever? Here are some of the most hated on social media

December 17, 2021 12:30 pm  #27

RadioActive wrote:

I don't mind #5-Holly Jolly Christmas and I actually like #58 Harry Simeone Chorale version of The Little Drummer Boy but I absolutely love the Peanuts music [#28 and 33] recorded by the Vince Guaraldi Trio, My all time favourite Christmas song is The 12 Pains of Christmas by Bob Rivers. Extremely cynical which is probably why I like it.

December 17, 2021 4:46 pm  #28

RadioActive wrote:

The list didn't include Driving Home for Christmas by Chris Rea which I think is one of the best Christmas songs ever.

Last edited by alangee (December 17, 2021 4:47 pm)

December 17, 2021 6:46 pm  #29

alangee wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

The list didn't include Driving Home for Christmas by Chris Rea which I think is one of the best Christmas songs ever.

It also doesn't include one of my favourites, Fairytale Of New York by The Pogues. Although it may have been cancelled for including a homophobic slur. Of course, the lyric could have been referring to a bundle of sticks or a meatball made from offal.

December 19, 2021 11:39 am  #30

mace wrote:

I absolutely love the Peanuts music [#28 and 33] recorded by the Vince Guaraldi Trio.

The kids who sang on the intro music that's generated millions of dollars in sales got paid a one-time fee of $5 per session for each of their efforts. 

The CBS News video that accompanies the story is terrific. 

The story behind the Vince Guaraldi Trio's Peanuts music.