sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 26, 2021 9:41 am  #1

And So It Begins - The First Station To Go All Christmas Is In Ohio

It's not even Halloween yet, but that hasn't stopped one Youngstown, Ohio station from going all-Xmas all the time. It comes some three months before the actual holiday (the announcement below went up on Oct. 1st!) and even before trick or treat time. Is there a Yule version of The Monster Mash?

How long until CHFI hangs up its musical stockings by the speaker with care in hopes that the audience soon will be there?

Northeast Ohio radio station has already switched to Christmas music

October 26, 2021 10:49 am  #2

Re: And So It Begins - The First Station To Go All Christmas Is In Ohio

This year will be the 21st consecutive year that 102.5 WTSS will be "Buffalo's Christmas Station" Last year they started their Holiday Hits format Nov 1st. They also set up a "Scrooge Stream" for those who preferred their regular Hot A/C format. Anyone know how many years CHFI been playing wall to wall Santa tunes? Just curious.

October 26, 2021 10:56 am  #3

In 2020, Z104 aka WWIZ flipped to Christmas music September 25th!! At least this year they moved it back a week. Personally, I would be quite happy to not hear any of it until Dec 24th.

October 26, 2021 2:01 pm  #4

We already have specialty stores that are all Christmas decor and gifts all year.  So a radio station that plays Christmas music all year would and could happen too.  Who knows there could be a station somewhere that is already doing this, or an internet station.  Oh look....here it is!!
https://myevergreenradio.com/#:~:text=Evergreen%20is%20non%2Dstop%2C%20commercial,re%20in%20the%20right%20place.

October 26, 2021 6:50 pm  #5

mace wrote:

This year will be the 21st consecutive year that 102.5 WTSS will be "Buffalo's Christmas Station" Last year they started their Holiday Hits format Nov 1st. They also set up a "Scrooge Stream" for those who preferred their regular Hot A/C format. Anyone know how many years CHFI been playing wall to wall Santa tunes? Just curious.

And this will be yet another year that Star goes off my car's pre-sets until they get back to regular music. 

Am I opposed to Christmas music? No. Am I opposed to them doing it nearly 2 months BEFORE Christmas! Hell YES.

October 26, 2021 8:54 pm  #6

I love Christmas music, but only at Christmas time.

Christmas music should start about Dec 20 and continue to the end of Boxing Day. After that, keep some of it in the mix until New Years.

Instead, they start it about Nov 1 and stop as soon as the malls close on Dec 24.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

October 26, 2021 9:06 pm  #7

turkeytop wrote:

should

Why? Listening is optional. If it works for them, great.

October 27, 2021 8:22 am  #8

RadioAaron wrote:

turkeytop wrote:

should

It IS optional if you are at home or in your car. Not so for people who work in retail brick and mortor buildings.

October 27, 2021 9:24 am  #9

RadioAaron wrote:

turkeytop wrote:

should

So, maybe "should" was the wrong choice of word.. I ought to have said "would" and qualified it with the phrase "if I had my way."

October 27, 2021 12:15 pm  #10

I don't mind Christmas music per see, but it's the very small playlist that just keeps repeating. Last year in a period of 6 hours one station played War is Over and Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time three and two times respectively. I don't care for either song and finally changed the station.

With thousands (probably tens of thousands) of recordings from hundreds of artists including lots of Canadian content, the narrow range of songs they play is quite annoying and it doesn't need to be this way.

In the 'old days' CKOT FM Tillsonburg, CKWR FM and CFCA FM both from Kitchener played a wide assortment of songs / artist.

Today, I don't even bother.

A little creativity please.

October 27, 2021 12:27 pm  #11

Before the 24/7 Holiday Hits became the norm, stations sprinkled two or three Christmas tunes in an hour along with their regularly formatted music. No burnout factor. If I must listen to Christmas music, I want to hear original versions. Holly Jolly Christmas by Burl Ives NOT Anne Murray, Michael Buble, Mariah Carey etc.

October 27, 2021 1:05 pm  #12

Have you ever noticed how any celebrity can do a Christmas album? And no matter how bad it is it will get played on the radio? It doesn't have to be by someone who is best known for their singing. It just has to be someone well known.

It could be a well known actor, a well known fashion model, a well known hockey player, a well known celebrity chef or a well known spot welder.

Mike Holmes could do a hit Christmas album.

October 27, 2021 7:26 pm  #13

mace wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

turkeytop wrote:

should

It IS optional if you are at home or in your car. Not so for people who work in retail brick and mortor buildings.

That's not a CHFI or radio issue.

November 1, 2021 7:04 am  #14

mace wrote:

AND....it's November 1st. Star just flipped the switch to go all-Christmas music. Me, I flipped the switch and removed it from my car's presets.

November 11, 2021 3:18 pm  #15