sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 22, 2021 7:09 am  #1

Remembering A True Hometown Original: CFOR-AM Orillia

In addition to the two personalities spotlighted, it was also the original home of such well known on-air types as Pete McGarvey and John Oakley. 

And the piece makes one thing clear - being local was the key to its success. Still a good lesson some stations could learn even now. 

"Latimer... remembers the times he would climb the radio tower, located above the Chamber of Commerce building near Highway 11, to do traffic reports for the “Rolling Home” show.

“Friday evenings were fine, but on Sunday afternoons in the summer, it was so hot up there – I’d be doing the report with sweat pouring down my back!” "

Do you remember Orillia's CFOR? It was 'like Facebook times 100'

October 22, 2021 9:08 am  #2

Re: Remembering A True Hometown Original: CFOR-AM Orillia

I do remember CFOR. Members of my family have owned property on Bass Lake which is several miles west of Orillia not far from Hwy 12.  When I was younger, we would always spend a week there each summer. You had to pump your own water and use the out house. [ it is still there and usable] I always knew we were getting close the Hwy 12 exit, because on Hwy 11, just south of Orillia, there was a huge 1570 CFOR  billboard. We never listened on the car radio. Dad could still get CFRB!

October 22, 2021 11:15 am  #3

Re: Remembering A True Hometown Original: CFOR-AM Orillia

CFOR is now the call sign for an FM station in Maniwaki, Quebec.