sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 12, 2021 4:07 pm  #1

Shurman No Longer With GNR640

I don't like reading about myself courtesy of some third party, so I'm delivering some news myself. GNR640 and I have parted company. This was a decision of management and it brings to a close almost 5 years of filling in at the station. I've enjoyed all of it and been fortunate to make many new and young friends along the way. I was "the old man of the mountains" there and it was a fit. Like many of you who comment and even more of you who read this board stealthily, I am in my seventies and have absolutely no regrets about my radio career. I first pressed "MIC ON" at a 50kW station in the sixties. I've run CJAD and CFRB and other stations and done just about everything one can in the business along the way. All of it has been a blast!

Several weeks ago, there was an incident on the air. I did not think it was minor, so I immediately informed management. Our view of it, however, differed as things moved along and we discussed it...and, in the end, it's their radio station. So, if I fill in for anyone, it won't be at 640. I have a few chapters left as I am still vital and mentally ready for more...I am not about to walk into the great beyond.

I am aware, from watching this board, that many like me on air...and some don't. That's the tightrope we walk in media. I think that radio itself is in a significant period of adjustment but I don't think that people who have opinions and want to stimulate discussion and controversy are going anywhere...they are just finding new ways to do what they do. I wish 640 good fortune...it's loaded with terrific people. 

October 12, 2021 4:38 pm  #2

Re: Shurman No Longer With GNR640

As one of those who has always enjoyed you when I could tune in, I hope your return to the airwaves happens sooner rather than later.

Wishing you all the best.

October 12, 2021 4:39 pm  #3

I, for one, will miss your voice on the station and hope you will continue to add your thoughts here whenever you think it's relevant. (You can no longer hit the mic there, but ours is always on!) I wish you luck in whatever comes next. Thanks for letting us know. It's never easy delivering bad news, especially about yourself!

October 12, 2021 5:15 pm  #4

Peter has always been my favourite Shurman...and he was phenomenal on the air.  GNR 640's loss.  HUGE loss!

October 12, 2021 6:51 pm  #5

As a listener, I always appreciated your fair and informed comments and positions.  As a broadcaster I respected your professionalism, hard work and the quality that you brought every time you turned on the microphone.  All the best Peter, and I know that many look forward to see and hear what the next wave of your successful career brings.     

October 12, 2021 7:52 pm  #6

I believe this is the incident in question:
https://twitter.com/farrahsafiakhan/status/1443930992813748224

October 12, 2021 8:33 pm  #7

Hansa wrote:

I believe this is the incident in question:
https://twitter.com/farrahsafiakhan/status/1443930992813748224

What a professional victim

October 12, 2021 8:36 pm  #8

shurmanator wrote:

I don't like reading about myself courtesy of some third party, so I'm delivering some news myself. GNR640 and I have parted company. This was a decision of management and it brings to a close almost 5 years of filling in at the station. I've enjoyed all of it and been fortunate to make many new and young friends along the way. I was "the old man of the mountains" there and it was a fit. Like many of you who comment and even more of you who read this board stealthily, I am in my seventies and have absolutely no regrets about my radio career. I first pressed "MIC ON" at a 50kW station in the sixties. I've run CJAD and CFRB and other stations and done just about everything one can in the business along the way. All of it has been a blast!

Several weeks ago, there was an incident on the air. I did not think it was minor, so I immediately informed management. Our view of it, however, differed as things moved along and we discussed it...and, in the end, it's their radio station. So, if I fill in for anyone, it won't be at 640. I have a few chapters left as I am still vital and mentally ready for more...I am not about to walk into the great beyond.

I am aware, from watching this board, that many like me on air...and some don't. That's the tightrope we walk in media. I think that radio itself is in a significant period of adjustment but I don't think that people who have opinions and want to stimulate discussion and controversy are going anywhere...they are just finding new ways to do what they do. I wish 640 good fortune...it's loaded with terrific people. 

Thanks for the countless hours over the years of great quality radio programming

As a long time fan I’ll miss it.

Best of luck Peter

October 13, 2021 11:42 am  #9

October 13, 2021 4:58 pm  #10

Is there a clip of the incident in question?

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

October 13, 2021 5:36 pm  #11

Pretty reprehensible that Sue-Ann is implying that Peter Shurman was fired because he's Jewish or that the incident had anything to do with Israel. Sue-Ann Levy is an example of how when you're a hammer, you think everything is a nail. 

https://twitter.com/SueAnnLevy/status/1446498586380865536

October 13, 2021 6:45 pm  #12

Hansa wrote:

Sue-Ann Levy is an example of how when you're a hammer, you think everything is a nail. 

Going by her public record, she's also an example of an awful shithead who was given full opportunity to fail upwards for much of her career, but that's another topic.

It is curious to see this so close to another post on this forum about a fringe activist organisation criticising 640 for what would seem to be an entirely separate matter.

October 13, 2021 6:55 pm  #13

Chrisphen wrote:

Hansa wrote:

Sue-Ann Levy is an example of how when you're a hammer, you think everything is a nail. 

Going by her public record, she's also an example of an awful shithead who was given full opportunity to fail upwards for much of her career, but that's another topic.

It is curious to see this so close to another post on this forum about a fringe activist organisation criticising 640 for what would seem to be an entirely separate matter.

To be fair, anyone could have an uncle who is buddies with Paul Godfrey when he was Toronto Sun publisher and get his niece hired whose only experience was with the Bracebridge Examiner. Sure, a bit embarassing when uncler Jeff Lyons gets implicated in the MFP scandal while Sue-Ann was on the city hall beat but family is family. 

October 13, 2021 7:01 pm  #14

So I just checked SAL's twitter feed. 

RA - is this where you got this Desmond Cole chatter?

If so, that's a rookie error. If Sue-Ann 'goat slaughter' Levy is pimping it, it's probably horseshit.

October 13, 2021 7:11 pm  #15

I'm guessing she saw the same press release I did - but it had nothing to do with the incident involving Peter Shurman. I believe her initial Tweet centered on a "Me Too" type interview that Shurman did with a woman who did not take kindly to the way he handled it. 

The complaint I cited in another thread was against Greg Brady and originated over Desmond Cole's on-air verbiage about Israel, which a group called Honest Reporting Canada took issue with. 

The two are not connected, other than both involved GNR640.

Honest Reporting regularly monitors the news media looking for instances of perceived bias against the Jewish state. Not saying they're always right, but they have a rather remarkable record of getting retractions or headline alterations from both the CBC and the Toronto Star. Which tells me that, in those instances at least, they must have made a valid point. Neither one of those entities makes changes or corrections to their material easily or often unless a complainant is right.

October 20, 2021 10:07 am  #16

Unlistenable - Brady pronouncing his facts via lying CNN, Oakley about as edgy as a butter knife, Kelly - well, she's one level above a 'Karen'...

Thank heavens for the internet and data plans so that one can stream in the car.

Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs... 
~ John McClane

October 20, 2021 11:17 am  #17

echomaster wrote:

Unlistenable - Brady pronouncing his facts via lying CNN, Oakley about as edgy as a butter knife, Kelly - well, she's one level above a 'Karen'...

Thank heavens for the internet and data plans so that one can stream in the car.

re: Thank heavens for the internet and data plans so that one can stream in the car.

so is it Mark Levin, Larry Elder or the ghost of Rush? ...

October 20, 2021 1:13 pm  #18

I know not everyone here likes Sue-Ann Levy, but the piece she wrote online about this incident contains the actual audio of what happened. You can finally hear it and judge for yourself about what really did - or didn't - take place on air.

One or two revelations from the piece - she says Peter is "devastated" by his sudden dismissal and is currently talking to his lawyers about any legal action that may follow.

Thanks to Marc Weisblott's 12:36 newsletter for the link. 

Veteran Toronto radio host cancelled by the woke mob over bizarre on-air incident

October 20, 2021 7:23 pm  #19

RadioActive wrote:

..  the piece she wrote online about this incident contains the actual audio of what happened. You can finally hear it and judge for yourself about what really did - or didn't - take place on air.
..  Veteran Toronto radio host cancelled by the woke mob over bizarre on-air incident

Well now .. upon reading Farrah Khan's Twitter tirade & listening to the actual Shurman/Khan audio, I'm less sympathetic to Ms. Khan's stance.   Very similar style to Desmond Cole; wind themselves up & let loose .. just keep preaching, preaching, preaching with no desire to have an actual discussion.  Then to hang up after a scant minute or so was simply childish.  For me, these type of activists are a detriment to their cause.

Sorry this had to happen to Mr. Shurman .. it was unwarranted.

Last edited by g121 (October 20, 2021 7:25 pm)

October 21, 2021 7:55 pm  #20

Politically correctile disfunction strikes again.

If there are lawyers involved, I hope Peter Shurman gets the result he wants, and he returns to the airwaves of a Toronto radio station if and when the time is right. I know we'll read about here on the big yellow board. 🤞🎧

Don't know who's running the show at Corus, but they're a 40 watt light bulb in a 100 watt world.

October 21, 2021 8:24 pm  #21

I heard Greg Brady Thursday morning obliquely refer to his interview with Desmond Cole. He admitted he "didn't handle it well." And that was about the end of it.

I listened to the Shurman incident and his guest. It sounds to me like she came ready to explode at anyone who didn't completely 100% buy into where she was coming from. It's very hard to do an interview with a fanatic of any kind, regardless of their cause. They won't brook any opposition or any suggestion that any part of their argument could be wrong, even if some of it isn't.

I'm still sad that Shurman won't be a part of my listening habits anymore. I used to look forward to hearing him. 

The question now is who do they have to sub for people, besides Arlene Bynon (who coincidentally is on for Alex Pierson Thursday night)? They used to have an adequate bullpen. Now I'm not so sure. They better hope two people don't get sick at the same time. 

October 23, 2021 10:53 am  #22

Shurman's got a great set of pipes - and I enjoyed listening this morning to the deep-dive he did with TorontoMike on Friday about these events. In that audio, he mentions podcast plans were already in the works and this just accelerated them so I'll for sure give the episodes a spin when they emerge.

October 23, 2021 3:42 pm  #23

AspectRatio wrote:

Shurman's got a great set of pipes - and I enjoyed listening this morning to the deep-dive he did with TorontoMike on Friday about these events. In that audio, he mentions podcast plans were already in the works and this just accelerated them so I'll for sure give the episodes a spin when they emerge.

Good news re the podcast, I'll be listening to the Toronto Mike conversation. I'll be listening as well. Any chance of Mike Stafford being a guest? Or possibly the co-host?

October 23, 2021 5:54 pm  #24

betaylored wrote:

AspectRatio wrote:

Good news re the podcast, I'll be listening to the Toronto Mike conversation. I'll be listening as well. Any chance of Mike Stafford being a guest? Or possibly the co-host?

Anne Mroczkowski and TorontoMike also talked about this on her recent podcast appearance. Anne was not impressed with how Peter was treated.

October 25, 2021 10:26 pm  #25

Shurman's firing came home to roost for GNR640 on Monday. Both John Oakley and Alex Pierson were off, and while Arlene Bynon handled the afternoon drive show, there was no one to take Pierson's place. So they wound up airing a reroll.

If Shurman were still there, they would have been able to cover both shifts. They'd better hope two or three people never get sick at the same time. Seems there's no one to take all their places. 

Meanwhile, Shurman has made another appearance defending himself. It came on a video with former Liberal Party head Stephen LeDrew.

October 27, 2021 6:51 pm  #26

RadioActive wrote:

Shurman's firing came home to roost for GNR640 on Monday. Both John Oakley and Alex Pierson were off, and while Arlene Bynon handled the afternoon drive show, there was no one to take Pierson's place. So they wound up airing a reroll.

If Shurman were still there, they would have been able to cover both shifts. They'd better hope two or three people never get sick at the same time. Seems there's no one to take all their places.

As an addendum to this post, Pierson was back on Wednesday, revealing she'd been laid low by shingles and bedridden for several days, adding the meds she's on meant she might "fall asleep during the show."

To make matters worse, her line went down in mid-word just minutes after she signed on, forcing a brief musical interlude followed by her technical director going on air and explaining they were taking an early break. 

When the show finally came back on, she apologized - and her line went out again! They were able to get her back and you could hear the panicked T.D shouting "CUE HER!" on air. The hazards of working from home and I'm just surprised it doesn't happen more often.

It appears they finally got things right about 20 mins. in but for someone who is still suffering, it was a hell of a welcome back! I sympathize with her. My father had shingles towards the end of his life and he told me it was the worst pain he'd ever experienced. There is a very effective shot for it - and anyone in their 60s or older who had chicken pox in their youth should definitely consider getting it. 

October 27, 2021 11:39 pm  #27

RadioActive wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

As an addendum to this post, Pierson was back on Wednesday, revealing she'd been laid low by shingles and bedridden for several days, adding the meds she's on meant she might "fall asleep during the show."

To make matters worse, her line went down in mid-word just minutes after she signed on, forcing a brief musical interlude followed by her technical director going on air and explaining they were taking an early break. 

When the show finally came back on, she apologized - and her line went out again! They were able to get her back and you could hear the panicked T.D shouting "CUE HER!" on air. The hazards of working from home and I'm just surprised it doesn't happen more often.

It appears they finally got things right about 20 mins. in but for someone who is still suffering, it was a hell of a welcome back! I sympathize with her. My father had shingles towards the end of his life and he told me it was the worst pain he'd ever experienced. There is a very effective shot for it - and anyone in their 60s or older who had chicken pox in their youth should definitely consider getting it. 

I seem to recall Jim Richards?, or maybe it was a different radio host coming down with shingles a few years ago and having to be off for many weeks.

Hope Alex feels better, and the person who is supposed to be running 640 gets their act together and finds someone to fill in for her so she can recover properly. Bet they wish they still had Peter Shurman to call to sit in. Dumb move to let him go, and as time passes it just seems even more short sighted.

Last edited by betaylored (October 27, 2021 11:40 pm)