sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 19, 2021 11:28 am  #1

Why Does The Star Week's TV Guide Keep Getting This Wrong?

I know there are a ton of electronic ways to get your TV listings, but I also like to have the old Star Week Magazine, the TV guide that comes with the Toronto Star's Saturday edition. But there are a few things about that publication that appear to be wrong every week and have been running for years. I wonder why no one has ever corrected them on it. 

First, there's the front page, which shows all the stations listed in its pages. (I'm still surprised they list the over-the-air frequency for each station, since most people now have cable, satellite or fibre. But I suppose it would be too hard to do it any other way.) 

It lists CITS from Burlington, aka YesTV, as being on Channel 36. True, it does broadcast on that digital channel and the Star Week shows it at that position. But its fake dial position is and has been channel 14 since the repack. That's where over-the-air viewers can tune it in. For some reason, the paper - which generally displays both the virtual channel and the real one in its listings - doesn't seem to know that.

The second issue revolves around those highlight preview items. Which leads to this question - is there a Global affiliate somewhere in Ontario whose call letters are CKGC? I've been unable to find a TV station anywhere in Canada with those calls, yet it's continually listed in the pages as a place to watch Global shows. If it does exist, where are they? (There IS a CKGC, but it's on FM and it's located in Iqaluit, Nunavit. Somehow I don't think that's what they're referring to.)  Could they mean CKGN, which were Global's Ontario call letters in the past, but which changed to CIII-TV in 1984?

I know most people won't care and it seems nitpicky, but a newspaper is supposed to be interested in accuracy - and these appear to have been wrong for years. 

October 19, 2021 11:36 am  #2

Re: Why Does The Star Week's TV Guide Keep Getting This Wrong?

I have asked them twice to remove all the erroneous OTA channels [which is most of them]. CKGC is Global Sudbury which is the name they should display [same with CHEX].
They also still list BBC First as HIFI

October 19, 2021 11:43 am  #3

It turns out the Toronto Star seems to be basing its listings on the station's own information. I just checked the YesTV website and discovered even they don't have it right! This search was done under the Find A Channel option on Tuesday morning. 

If they don't have their own info up to date, what chance does anyone else have of getting it right? It's been on virtual channel 14 for over a year. Sloppy on both their parts.

October 19, 2021 12:06 pm  #4

Check out CTV Barrie’s site. They still show that they they are on 10

October 19, 2021 12:39 pm  #5

Why are they showing the "real" channel at all? Does anyone's TV even display it?

October 19, 2021 12:45 pm  #6

I find that odd, as well. It seems to be a guide for those who still watch TV over an antenna. I do, but I'm aware I'm in the minority. The only thing I can come up with is that it's just easier than listing all the different places those stations occupy on the various cable and sat services. Let the viewers figure it out. But it's definitely a throwback to older TV times. 

October 19, 2021 12:56 pm  #7

There's absolutely no reason to list the RF ("real") channel - you scan your TV and it shows you the virtual channel and that's that. 

But it's worse than that: the Star is showing the pre-repack RF channels, which aren't even the ones these stations now use. WGRZ stayed on 33, but everyone else in Buffalo moved - WNLO and WIVB share 36, WKBW is now on 34, WNED is on 31, WUTV on 32, WNYO on 16 (in ATSC3.0), and so on. 

CITS isn't even "really" on 36 anymore - it's on RF 14 post-repack. 

October 19, 2021 1:34 pm  #8

RadioAaron wrote:

Why are they showing the "real" channel at all? Does anyone's TV even display it?

It's a courtesy offering. A polite way of saying "should you choose to give up your cable/Ignite TV/Fibe/whatever money sucking thing, here's what you should be able to pick up in Toronto through antenna at no cost..."

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 19, 2021 1:37 pm  #9

If that's the case, then it could be argued they should list all the Buffalo subcarriers, too. And they're not there. 

October 19, 2021 2:21 pm  #10

The Star Week is more of a courtesy to it's many elderly readers who still prefer the printed versions of the TV schedules in a booklet form. The guide has lost money for years with virtually no advertising and is on it's last legs.  The vast majority of Star readers blue box the  Star Week guide.  The reason that nobody has called the Star about the trivial errors is because they don't care or more likely haven't noticed.   Same with the Buffalo subcarriers, the readers that use the Star Week don't watch them or receive them and the added channels would needlessly clog up the grids even worse than they are now. 

October 19, 2021 3:51 pm  #11

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

It's a courtesy offering. A polite way of saying "should you choose to give up your cable/Ignite TV/Fibe/whatever money sucking thing, here's what you should be able to pick up in Toronto through antenna at no cost..."

No, I get listing the OTA channels, but the "real" RF channel means nothing and is seen by nobody.

October 19, 2021 4:00 pm  #12

paterson1 wrote:

The Star Week is more of a courtesy to it's many elderly readers who still prefer the printed versions of the TV schedules in a booklet form. The guide has lost money for years with virtually no advertising and is on it's last legs.  The vast majority of Star readers blue box the  Star Week guide.  The reason that nobody has called the Star about the trivial errors is because they don't care or more likely haven't noticed.   Same with the Buffalo subcarriers, the readers that use the Star Week don't watch them or receive them and the added channels would needlessly clog up the grids even worse than they are now. 

Actually, subscribers have to pay an additional $4 a month for the Star Week on Saturdays. (I got that directly from a Star rep. in their circulation dept.) It's an add-on to the cost of the paper. You don't have to get it if you don't request it. So it's unlikely it's going to be chucked into the blue box, because those who receive it really want it - or they wouldn't shell out the money for it.

But I agree. It's an anachronism and likely they'll stop it one day - or raise the price to allow it to continue, whichever comes first. 

October 19, 2021 4:03 pm  #13

RadioAaron wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

No, I get listing the OTA channels, but the "real" RF channel means nothing and is seen by nobody.

This has always puzzled me as well, and I've never seen another newspaper or TV magazine do this. I'm OK with it, of course, because I know what it means. I doubt many others do - or perhaps even notice it. 

October 19, 2021 4:17 pm  #14

Well, now this is interesting! A friend of mine was the inspiration for this thread, and actually wrote the department responsible for the Star Week about the CITS channel listing problem. He also sent along the URL for this thread.

This is the reply he received back:

"I actually heard back on YesTV from our Starweek vendor this morning. You are correct, it should be channel #14.

"I have already gone ahead and approved the change and you should see the update in the book in the next 2 weeks.

Thank you for sharing the thread below. I will review these as well."

So there you go - it turns out someone there does care and at least one correction is getting through and thanks to Scott Fybush, perhaps more are coming! 

October 19, 2021 6:14 pm  #15

That's great news! And if you want to pass along my contact info (scott@fybush.com) to your friend to pass along to Star Week, I'm happy to help them sort it all out!

October 19, 2021 6:18 pm  #16

Nice to hear that one of the mistakes will be corrected.  Didn't know that subscribers pay extra for the Starweek guide.  I pick up a Saturday Star once or twice per month and Starweek is included.  In fact sometimes I take it out before I pay since I don't want it or use it. Maybe what subscribers pay for is not the same product as what is included with the Saturday paper in store?  Regardless, subscribers that pay for the guide with the paper tend to be elderly and want the booklet version.  It is easier for them to use  rather than electronically what is on cable or their TV.   

October 19, 2021 6:20 pm  #17

I have given up on any newspaper supplying proper television listings.
I really miss TV Guide.  i picked it up for over 30 years.
The newspaper listings favourite abbreviation is TBA.

October 19, 2021 7:24 pm  #18

Really they should genericize it. Instead of 3, 5, 7, 9, 17 and so on, do this: CTV2, CBC, ABC, CTV, PBS…..

October 19, 2021 7:53 pm  #19

andysradio wrote:

Really they should genericize it. Instead of 3, 5, 7, 9, 17 and so on, do this: CTV2, CBC, ABC, CTV, PBS…..

I'd agree with this. Channel numbers have become irrelevant for the most part - especially when providers have the same channel mapped to more than one number.

I will say, though, that I like the Star's online listings that you can customize based on your provider. They even have the smaller IPTV providers, so I see a grid that matches the order of my Teksaavy TV service.

October 20, 2021 12:57 am  #20

RadioActive wrote:

Actually, subscribers have to pay an additional $4 a month for the Star Week on Saturdays. (I got that directly from a Star rep. in their circulation dept.) It's an add-on to the cost of the paper. You don't have to get it if you don't request it. So it's unlikely it's going to be chucked into the blue box, because those who receive it really want it - or they wouldn't shell out the money for it.

But I agree. It's an anachronism and likely they'll stop it one day - or raise the price to allow it to continue, whichever comes first. 

When you pay for a full year in advance the price drops to $2.25, Starweek included.
"This Saturday-only home-delivery introductory print offer is for a 12-month term and includes Starweek Magazine with the Saturday edition. Your credit card will be charged $99.00 plus tax and will automatically renew at the end of the period. The percent discount is based on the percent off the newsstand rate."

SOURCE:  https://www.tsoffers.ca/Order.aspx?PID=2256755&Zip=M1R%202H7&PriceType=1

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 20, 2021 2:38 am  #21

That “CKGC” might actually be a misprint of CKWS, which is another Global station.

October 20, 2021 6:54 am  #22

MJ Vancouver wrote:

That “CKGC” might actually be a misprint of CKWS, which is another Global station.

Not sure about that - it's in there every week in all their listings. Once is a misprint. Every time is something else. It should probably just say "Global" and leave it at that. 

October 20, 2021 8:30 am  #23

The Sun also still publishes a tv guide with their Sunday edition. It is only available to subscribers at $2/month and must be requested. The guide has not been included in box/variety store editions for many years. I too, miss the original TV Guide but in its final years the Canadian edition [and the American edition today] no longer provide/provided episode details. My cable on screen guide gives me that plus the production year.

October 20, 2021 8:44 am  #24

MJ Vancouver wrote:

I *believe* it is a typo for CFGC Sudbury.

October 20, 2021 9:44 am  #25

mace wrote:

The Sun also still publishes a tv guide with their Sunday edition. It is only available to subscribers at $2/month and must be requested. The guide has not been included in box/variety store editions for many years. I too, miss the original TV Guide but in its final years the Canadian edition [and the American edition today] no longer provide/provided episode details. My cable on screen guide gives me that plus the production year.

TV Guide was the one thing I most welcomed into my house every week. When I was kid it was really the only mail we got that I looked forward to.

Here's how big a fan I was (and what explains my far from complete collection of Guides.) After they stopped publication in Canada (and even while it was in the run) I arranged for the Buffalo edition from the U.S. to be delivered to me. It was a huge expense - you not only paid for the yearly subscription in American funds, but the postage as well. But I loved the articles and the listings, so I continued it. 

And then one day, they told me they wouldn't send it anymore, no matter how much I was willing to pay. They effectively cut off Canada and still do to this day. They culled their subscription list for some reason and what few Canadians there were who still wanted it were suddenly SOL. And I'd been a loyal subscriber for over a decade!

Needless to say, the TV Guide that's still on sale stateside is a shadow of its former self. The sample page below shows only rudimentary listings and very few details about the shows. I'm not sure I'd still be getting it in the mail, although some of the articles and previews are still interesting. 

Still, somehow, I can't let it go. So when I found a site - Magster.com - that was selling an online version for only $15 for the whole year, I decided to try it again. They now publish only every other week, with two-week versions of the Guide. For 15 bucks, it's fun to look at twice a month. But it definitely is not the magazine we all remember. These days, my carrier mostly brings me bills and junk mail. And who looks forward to that? 

Here's Wednesday's primetime line-up from the pages of the current U.S. TV Guide:

October 20, 2021 11:38 am  #26

My friend received another response from those behind the Star Week. Here's what she said:

"I absolutely care about keeping Starweek up to date! It’s not Frivolous at all. It just takes time to verify and implement as Starweek is produced well in advance of it’s edition date.

We try to review the channels every few months, but when I hear from readers, I can have it investigated and updated faster. So I really appreciate when readers reach out.

You can let your friends know that they can reach the Starweek department directly at starweek11@thestar.ca

As for the Buffalo subcarriers… that’s a little tricky. Unfortunately, we only have so much room and the font sizes can’t be any smaller."

Hey, at least they responded and least they care. I think that's great. Now we'll see if they make any changes. Too bad about the subcarriers, though. I figured space was one of the issues. 

October 20, 2021 3:51 pm  #27

One last reply from the folks behind the Star Week:

"I did review the [SOWNY] thread and have started reviewing the over the air channels. You will see all the updates in print in the next few weeks.

It’s honestly my pleasure. I am happy to see such level on engagement on Starweek and will do my part to keep it up to date.

I am actually already working on some internal changes/improvements in Starweek so the timing couldn’t be better."

I'm really impressed that my friend got these responses and it looks good on the Star that this woman was good enough to care and reply as often as she did. Those of us who still get the magazine will be watching in the coming weeks to see if anything has been corrected. 

I'm also more than a bit surprised that this thread attracted so much response. I thought maybe it would interest a few people, tops. Instead, it's drawn more than 800 page views in just over a day. Who knew anyone besides yours truly cared about this thing? This place never ceases to surprise me in a good way!

November 7, 2021 9:14 pm  #28

Well, they fixed it - but unfortunately, it still isn't right! The 36 is where the 14 should be and vice versa, since they list by viewer's channel number and not the digital spot where they actually are. But points for trying!

November 8, 2021 8:49 am  #29

Actually for consistency's sake, it is correct [though I don't know why the 14 bullet is black on white and the rest are white on black]. Starweek uses the original [or virtual] channel number to list stations. So 9 is actually on 8 but they still list it at 9; what readers are familiar with.
I

November 8, 2021 9:17 am  #30

Not sure if that's entirely accurate. For example, you'll notice that WGRZ is listed on virtual channel 2 - but it actually broadcasts on digital channel 33. That one puts the white "2" first and the "33" second. 

In the case of YesTV, it's reversed. It still puts 36 first and 14 second. In fact, it's on virtual "14" but digitally it's on "36." So in keeping with the protocol for other stations, those should technically be reversed. And as you point out, the channels listed in white for every other station is virtual, while the actual channel is black. But not in YesTV's case.

(And yes, I'm amazed anyone - including me - cares about this incredibly small thing, but it bugs me!)