sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 12, 2021 7:59 pm  #1

The Greatest Canadian Record Ever

https://twitter.com/strombo/status/1448066313671352321?t=qo0P9cj9Per3iFfbRG5fJA&s=19

Is it like asking someone to choose between a toque and a beanie, or between beer and ale. Beauty eh. Agree. Dis agree.

October 12, 2021 8:37 pm  #2

Re: The Greatest Canadian Record Ever

Oh Strombo, the California sun has fried your brain, what the hell are you thinking!!  Take Off is a novelty one time song by a novelty duo, and receives almost zero airplay today.   That would be like saying the greatest song of all time is The Monster Mash by Bobby Boris Pickett, because it was a hit twice and gets played every year around Halloween.   What could you be thinking??? Your credibility has just taken a big big hit... I do agree that it is maybe pointless to pick the greatest Canadian, British, American etc. song because you will never get agreement.  But to pick Take Off as the greatest song is a real cop out.  Even with Geddy Lee maybe the greatest Canadian novelty song but that is all...

October 13, 2021 8:41 am  #3

Looking at betaylored's headline and Stombo's video again, both say greatest "Record", not song.  Doesn't really matter, the Bob and Doug offering was a one off novelty album.  And George does make reference to Take Off and Geddy Lee's involvement.  Besides it was the singles Take Off and to a lesser extent the 12 Days of Christmas (which was really funny) that sold the album.

Why do our writers and critics always have it in their heads that the greatest Canadian book, TV show, movie, etc. always needs to be a "Canadian teaching moment"?  That is not what the greatest of anything should be about.  This kills the whole concept, and limits the works that should be considered.

The greatest or best of anything should be because it is good or memorable, holds up over time and is appreciated, not because of Canadian themes or references.   Greatest Canadian Record or song absolutely should not be a "one off"  novelty album, by a comedy duo that never existed on record beyond one release, that is only played at Christmas time.  CHFI is dusting off Bob and Doug even as we speak. getting ready for their annual Christmas Marathon of Music!

Greatest Canadian Record??  How about Blue Rodeo's classic from 1993, Five Days in July.  Now THAT'S a record that is worthy of consideration for the title in my opinion!

October 13, 2021 4:36 pm  #4

Bob and Doug are the best!!!!!!!!!!!!

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 13, 2021 5:50 pm  #5

Can't help feeling that choosing one song is a fool's errand. There are just too many to pick from and the winner in your mind probably comes from personal preferences.
Because I come at this having lived through 7 decades of Canadian music, the entire Modern Pop Era,
the universe is, um, diverse.
When reading through this thread, some of the beautiful melodies from the likes of Anne Murray and
Gordon Lightfoot played back in my mind. Easy choices. But, you know, I heard a song a few days ago
which would have to top all my many Canadian favourites over the years.
It's a tune that was driven into the ground by our domestic stations, to the point where I would immediately
plunge my strongest finger into the 'next station' button whenever it came on the radio.
When I heard it the other day, I thought the programmers were right, they just went a little overboard. And
I hummed it for hours.

1969...the Guess Who...and These Eyes.

October 13, 2021 6:45 pm  #6

You want the best ever Canadian album? Here you go: 

Last edited by Hansa (October 13, 2021 6:46 pm)