sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 12, 2021 10:30 am  #1

Columnist: CBC Radio Should Be Returning To Shortwave

An opinion piece in the Globe & Mail laments the skimpiness of the current Radio Canada International effort and suggests we're missing out by not having a greater unbiased presence broadcasting on shortwave to the world. Especially given the current times, where freedom of the press is under so much threat. 

https://clearthis.page/?u=https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-as-press-freedom-declines-worldwide-cbcradio-canada-should-embrace-an/

October 12, 2021 10:50 am  #2

Re: Columnist: CBC Radio Should Be Returning To Shortwave

I always thought the move was ill-informed. How much did the shortwave operation cost?

October 12, 2021 2:26 pm  #3

CBC has started to show up on some Roku apps here in the US. Mostly news items not the same as regular CBC which I can pick up here. So there is some presence outside of Canada.

October 12, 2021 3:29 pm  #4

CBC also used to own Newsworld International - an external version of Newsworld that aired in the US and the Caribbean. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newsworld_International

October 12, 2021 9:39 pm  #5

I agree that RCI should return to short wave. Sadly, I don't see that proposal anywhere in the editorial. It talks about making a more robust RCI.but seems to be labouring under the misbelief that there already is an RCI

"Radio Canada International, which has operated since since 1945 is already available in seven languages."

Not on radio, it isn't

Even the once mighty BBC is now almost nonexistent on short wave anymore.

Turn on the radio any night and you hear a handful of religious stations from the US and Radio Havana

The International broadcasters of today seem to believe that streaming on the Internet is broadcasting

Online streaming is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

October 12, 2021 9:54 pm  #6

turkeytop wrote:

The International broadcasters of today seem to believe that streaming on the Internet is broadcasting

Online streaming is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining.

Can you elaborate on that?

Seems to me that if I can log into a stream and receive the same content as an over the air broadcast, then I'm listening to a radio broadcast.  No?

Granted, it was nice to listen to RCI on a short-wave set I had access to in France back in 1995 during the Bernardo trial.  But that was also a different time with different technology.

BBC, RCI, Radio Netherlands, DW, even Radio Moscow have all pulled the plug on SW years ago.  It seems the only ones left are smaller, religious broadcasters.

October 12, 2021 10:04 pm  #7

Peter the K wrote:

Seems to me that if I can log into a stream and receive the same content as an over the air broadcast, then I'm listening to a radio broadcast.  No?

And I suppose that car racing arcade game  is a real car.

October 13, 2021 1:10 am  #8

turkeytop wrote:

Peter the K wrote:

And I suppose that car racing arcade game  is a real car.

You keep saying this and it makes no more sense than it did the time before. You seem to think that the only thing that matters is the mode of delivery.  If the content is exactly the same, except for better sound quality, how is it inferior?

October 13, 2021 10:21 am  #9

I'm not passing judgement on the merits of online content. I have no experience with it. I'm just saying it isn't radio. 

Radio is cheap, it's portable, it doesn't require any special skills to operate and it's free. You don't have to rely on some third party provider. 

October 13, 2021 10:33 am  #10

turkeytop wrote:

Radio is cheap, it's portable, it doesn't require any special skills to operate and it's free. You don't have to rely on some third party provider. 

Streaming is also cheap and portable. Virtually everyone already has the hardware on them 24/7. Yes. you have to rely on a third party provider, but not in excess of what you already are.

Streaming is broadcasting.

October 13, 2021 10:36 am  #11

RadioAaron wrote:

turkeytop wrote:

Streaming is also cheap and portable. Virtually everyone already has the hardware on them 24/7. Yes. you have to rely on a third party provider, but not in excess of what you already are.

where does this phrase from 1964 I think  fit into this argument:

"The medium is the message" is a phrase coined by the Canadian communication theorist Marshall McLuhan and the name of the first chapter[1][/url] in his Understanding Media: The Extensions of Man, published in 1964.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_medium_is_the_message#cite_note-2][2][/url][url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_medium_is_the_message#cite_note-:0-3][3][/url] McLuhan proposes that a communication medium itself, not the messages it carries, should be the primary focus of study. He showed that artifacts as media affect any society by their characteristics, or content.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_medium_is_the_message#cite_note-4][4]

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

October 13, 2021 11:07 am  #12

RadioAaron wrote:

Well, I guess I could tote my laptop with me everywhere I go. I suppose you could call that portable. But I'd still have to seek out WiFi hotspots.

October 13, 2021 12:58 pm  #13

turkeytop wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Well, I guess I could tote my laptop with me everywhere I go. I suppose you could call that portable. But I'd still have to seek out WiFi hotspots.

A Smartphone is about as small as the smallest radio.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

October 13, 2021 3:07 pm  #14

My phone's on the kitchen wall. I don't know how smart it is.

October 13, 2021 7:00 pm  #15

RadioAaron wrote:

turkeytop wrote:

The problem with streaming is it's fairly easy for an authoritarian government to block. For all we hear about jamming of shortwave signals during the Cold War, jamming was actually not very effective and also very expensive to undertake, particularly if a broadcaster used multiple frequencies simultaneously and was agile enough to switch them around. And moreover it was very difficult for an authoritarian government to detect listeners to the forbidden signal whearas it's much easier to intercept and find out which computer or phone is trying to access which forbidden stream. Moving off of shortwave is a gift to the Chinese government and other repressive regimes that don't want their citizens hearing critical broadcasts and have the technical capacity to block access. 

Last edited by Hansa (October 13, 2021 7:02 pm)

October 13, 2021 7:46 pm  #16

turkeytop wrote:

My phone's on the kitchen wall. I don't know how smart it is.

Conversely, give a 20 year old an analog FM tuner/receiver combo and ask them to find their favourite song.

October 13, 2021 7:47 pm  #17

Hansa wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

turkeytop wrote:

The problem with streaming is it's fairly easy for an authoritarian government to block. For all we hear about jamming of shortwave signals during the Cold War, jamming was actually not very effective and also very expensive to undertake, particularly if a broadcaster used multiple frequencies simultaneously and was agile enough to switch them around. And moreover it was very difficult for an authoritarian government to detect listeners to the forbidden signal whearas it's much easier to intercept and find out which computer or phone is trying to access which forbidden stream. Moving off of shortwave is a gift to the Chinese government and other repressive regimes that don't want their citizens hearing critical broadcasts and have the technical capacity to block access. 

Yes, I'm not arguing against short-wave, but rather the ridiculous notion that streaming audio can't be radio.

Last edited by RadioAaron (October 13, 2021 7:51 pm)