sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 5, 2021 11:42 am  #2

Re: CTV News Windsor, Anchor Jim Crichton to retire.

i worked with jim in halifax (back in the day). a truly nice guy.

October 5, 2021 1:25 pm  #3

I watch CTV Windsor news from time to time and Jim is a solid old school type of anchor.  And that is meant as a compliment.  Both CTV and CBC Windsor put out decent local newscasts and generally have good on air talent.  However they are overshadowed by NBC, ABC and Fox affiliates in Detroit who have more staff and bigger budgets, and a slicker on air product.  However both Windsor stations in some ways have more news content, where the Detroit stations tend to have a lot of light or boosterism stories about Michigan and Detroit.  CBS Detroit WWJ has no local news. 

October 5, 2021 2:00 pm  #4

Is this gentleman the same age as Ken Shaw was when he retired? 
He looks too young to retire.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 6, 2021 7:43 am  #5

Yes, Jim still has that youthful look but he's older than he looks (sorry Jim) and has been talking about and planning his retirement for the past few years. I wish him all the best in his retirement years. 

October 6, 2021 10:57 am  #6

He's been in the business for 47 years.  Wow!

I remember listening to him doing newscasts on CKKW in Kitchener.  Had to be at 30+ years ago.  Just watched some of yesterday's CTV Windsor news and he still sounds fabulous.  Aside from those amazing pipes, what I always admired was his delivery.  He's the epitome of a newscaster who sounds like he's talking directly to you, not at you.

November 25, 2021 10:28 pm  #7

His last newscast is Friday at 6 PM. 

Windsor TV news anchor Jim Crichton reaches last newscast

November 26, 2021 12:15 pm  #8

David Spence, who has worked at CFCN/CTV Calgary for 35 years are their chief meteorologist, also retires tonight. Steve Murphy, the anchor at ATV/CTV Atlantic for 45 years, is also retiring after his final show next week.

I don't think it's a coincidence that three long time on-air staff in the CTV network are leaving at the same time. 

November 26, 2021 2:52 pm  #9

Could be that these individuals and long time employees of CTV are all retiring now simply because it is near the end of the year and they will likely have holidays and time off to use up before the end of the 2021.  People do still just retire and everything is not about a layoff or being pushed out.  Crichton, who is 68 mentioned in the Windsor Star article that he actually wanted to retire a few years ago, but stayed on because of so much uncertainty  happening with COVID-19 and felt a duty to help the audience get through it.

CTV Windsor has been playing nice vignettes on Jim throughout the past few weeks with local people and former colleagues reminiscing about working with him and his impact on Windsor and area.  He certainly mentored many people over the years, and personalities from CTV, Global, City, and WDIV in Detroit have all come on to thank him for his help and guidance when they were starting out.