sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 30, 2021 2:21 pm  #1

NEWSY Testing

Scripps which owns WKBW Buffalo and recently purchased the ION Network in the U.S. will launch a new 24-hour TV news channel "NEWSY".  It is running a demo reel on 51.7 Buffalo.   That is WPXJ-TV Grand Island's subcarrier.
Reception should be very good throughout the GTA.  Time will tell whether it is a balanced news service.  In case you need to do a "scan" to add it to your TV, WPXJ is transmitted on RF 24 (appears as 51.1-51.7 with subcarriers)

September 30, 2021 3:12 pm  #2

Re: NEWSY Testing

Newsy has been available on the web and U.S. cable/satellite TV for a few years. It's scheduled to go nationwide on Scripps subcarriers starting Friday, Oct. 1st. What interests me about this move is that unlike most channels, which can't wait to get distributed by cable and the like to increase its potential audience, it's reportedly pulled out of those services and going pretty much subcarrier only. That doesn't happen very often. 

Though it's supposedly been gone from cable since July in anticipation of the launch, it will probably remain on the Newsy site. (And you don't need a VPN to watch it.)

You can access the Newsy site here. 

September 30, 2021 4:24 pm  #3

It's sad this kind of subcarrier use won't ever take hold in Canada due to the common ownership structure here. However, CBC could put CBC News Network on .2 - could they not?

September 30, 2021 5:15 pm  #4

torontostan wrote:

It's sad this kind of subcarrier use won't ever take hold in Canada due to the common ownership structure here. However, CBC could put CBC News Network on .2 - could they not?

If CBC ever wants to give up the subscriber fees it gets for CBCNN, then sure. Otherwise I don't think it's ever going to happen. 

I also wish our broadcasters would make use of their digital subchannels. NTV in Newfoundland, for example, could carry the full CTV schedule in addition to Global on its transmitter.

September 30, 2021 6:14 pm  #5

tvguy wrote:

Scripps which owns WKBW Buffalo and recently purchased the ION Network in the U.S. will launch a new 24-hour TV news channel "NEWSY".  It is running a demo reel on 51.7 Buffalo.   That is WPXJ-TV Grand Island's subcarrier.
Reception should be very good throughout the GTA.  Time will tell whether it is a balanced news service.  In case you need to do a "scan" to add it to your TV, WPXJ is transmitted on RF 24 (appears as 51.1-51.7 with subcarriers)

These things always start out with good intentions, but then loose their way. HLN started out as a legitimate news channel. Now it's the sensational crime of the month channel.

CNBC is now the Shark Tank channel. Even some of the network news programs have gone the same direction. Dateline and 20-20 used to be real news programs. Now all they do is rehash murders from decades ago.

The last time we drove to Florida, in early 2020, we stopped for the night in Kentucky. I turned the TV in our room to the weather channel to see what conditions we'd be driving in the next day. Now, it's weather channel in name only. What they were playing was a reality show, loosely connected to the weather. Truckers driving on winter roads.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

September 30, 2021 7:17 pm  #6

I don't know, kind of a dumb cutesy name for a news channel.  Newsy?? Looks like they have been around in one form or another since 2008.  It will be interesting to see if Scripps changes much on the ION network which apparently does ok in the ratings in the US as a secondary network.  They always have been heavy on police procedural shows like Criminal Minds, Chicago Fire, Blue Bloods etc.  

September 30, 2021 7:32 pm  #7

ED1 wrote:

torontostan wrote:

If CBC ever wants to give up the subscriber fees it gets for CBCNN, then sure. Otherwise I don't think it's ever going to happen. 

I also wish our broadcasters would make use of their digital subchannels. NTV in Newfoundland, for example, could carry the full CTV schedule in addition to Global on its transmitter.

I was about to type the same thing... CBCNN would never, as they would give up their subscriber fees they collect... One thing they could do is bring ICI into more places by putting it on the same transmitter as their CBC English.   This may free up cash too add more OTA markets like London, again.   I've often wondered why Omni doesn't put 1 and 2 on the same transmitter, or even share with City if in the same market... Seems like a huge cost savings that could happen, especially when dealing with repeaters.  CTV and CTV2 come to mind as well as networks that could share vs running their own sites for repeaters. 

Last edited by radiokid (September 30, 2021 7:33 pm)

September 30, 2021 8:03 pm  #8

radiokid wrote:

ED1 wrote:

torontostan wrote:

I was about to type the same thing... CBCNN would never, as they would give up their subscriber fees they collect... One thing they could do is bring ICI into more places by putting it on the same transmitter as their CBC English.   This may free up cash too add more OTA markets like London, again.   I've often wondered why Omni doesn't put 1 and 2 on the same transmitter, or even share with City if in the same market... Seems like a huge cost savings that could happen, especially when dealing with repeaters.  CTV and CTV2 come to mind as well as networks that could share vs running their own sites for repeaters. 

I don't think they'll be adding subcarriers.  The worse the free experience is, the more likely they can get you to pay for TV, internet or TV via the internet.

October 1, 2021 8:31 am  #9

turkeytop wrote:

tvguy wrote:

These things always start out with good intentions, but then loose their way. HLN started out as a legitimate news channel. Now it's the sensational crime of the month channel.

CNBC is now the Shark Tank channel. Even some of the network news programs have gone the same direction. Dateline and 20-20 used to be real news programs. Now all they do is rehash murders from decades ago.

The last time we drove to Florida, in early 2020, we stopped for the night in Kentucky. I turned the TV in our room to the weather channel to see what conditions we'd be driving in the next day. Now, it's weather channel in name only. What they were playing was a reality show, loosely connected to the weather. Truckers driving on winter roads.

Actually, it is only primetime that this happens. But I see your point. Serious weather conditions can still develop between 8-11pm.

October 1, 2021 2:11 pm  #10

If there is a major hurricane or tornado outbreak in the US at night they do break in with full weather coverage instead of their weather reality shows.

October 1, 2021 3:35 pm  #11

canam2021 wrote:

If there is a major hurricane or tornado outbreak in the US at night they do break in with full weather coverage instead of their weather reality shows.

So, if I turn it on and it's a cooking or basket weaving show, I can be confident that tomorrow's weather will be good.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

October 4, 2021 10:11 am  #12

According to the AP, Newsy comes with an agenda - which is that it doesn't have one. 

"The pitch from Kate O’Brian, head of the Scripps Networks’ news group, and Newsy boss Eric Ludgood is simple: an unflashy service that goes beyond headlines to look at the breadth of news in some detail and without a political bias."

Newsy expands, bets on appetite for more news, less politics

October 4, 2021 1:46 pm  #13

Small point of order: Yes, Scripps DID buy Ion Media-but it divested a number of Ion stations before completing the purchase in order to stay within local and national ownership limits(also, since Buffalo has less than 8 independently-owned full power TV stations, it wouldn't have been able to pursue a duopoly here in any case). Inyo Broadcast Holdings owns WPXJ now.

October 9, 2021 11:28 pm  #14

tvguy wrote:

So far it seems balanced - I lean right so your mileage may vary

Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs... 
~ John McClane