sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 29, 2021 1:18 pm  #1

Ben Mulroney out at CTV Your Morning...

Ben Mulroney leaving CTV's Your Morning to pursue 'a lifelong dream'From the Canadian Press

TORONTO -- Ben Mulroney, co-host of CTV's "Your Morning," is leaving the national news program after a 20-year career with the broadcaster.Mulroney says he wants to focus on a new career developing scripted and unscripted projects. Friday will be his last day.Mulroney joined CTV as an entertainment reporter for "Canada AM" in October 2001, before joining "etalk" in its debut season as co-host in 2002. Mulroney was also a member of the broadcast team for the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games, reporting on entertainment news for CTV, and was the host of CTV's "Canadian Idol" for six seasons.He became co-host of "Your Morning" when it debuted in 2016.Mulroney says in a statement the decision to leave CTV was "difficult.""I have had an incredible run at CTV, but it's time to take the leap and fulfil what has been a lifelong dream for me," he said Wednesday."I look forward to connecting with Canadians in this new way and for the opportunity to develop ideas with Bell Media in the future."

September 29, 2021 1:58 pm  #2

Re: Ben Mulroney out at CTV Your Morning...

Twenty years of doing the same old thing wears on a person, and chances are he wasn't making enough of a salary to compensate for the demanding hours.

September 29, 2021 5:51 pm  #3

Jesus, I hope this doesn't mean he'll go into politics. We have enough children of ex-PMs in parliament as it is. 

Last edited by Hansa (September 29, 2021 6:03 pm)

September 29, 2021 6:44 pm  #4

betaylored wrote:

Twenty years of doing the same old thing wears on a person, and chances are he wasn't making enough of a salary to compensate for the demanding hours.

It's also possible that Bell is tightening its budget and is reducing its payroll by easing out some high earning talent. 

September 29, 2021 8:03 pm  #5

I doubt that Mulroney's leaving has anything to do with cut backs or his salary.  He has been at CTV about 20 years to the day and he wants to produce/write movies and TV.  At 45 would be the time to make this career change. Do it now before it is too late.  I always preferred him on ETalk and hosting things like Canadian Idol.  Not a fan of Your Morning, but it is not really Ben I dislike, rather the fluffy  giggle fest the show has become and the fact they do the weather endlessly all morning.  Anyway good luck to him and let's see what he comes up with in the years ahead, he may surprise people.  

October 1, 2021 10:21 am  #6

I watched the final hour of Your Morning today which was Ben's last show.  It actually was pretty good what I saw.  Lots of interesting insider clips and they were having a lot of fun.  Nice that they included some of the crew teasing and reminiscing about Mulroney.  Because the format went out the window this morning, they only did weather once during the last hour!

I know a lot of people don't like Ben Mulroney, but he is well regarded in the entertainment business and has a ton of contacts.  He would get interviews with celebrities that other's didn't.  To me this was where he excelled and it was obvious that he had the respect of Hollywood's best and they were at ease talking to him.  The interview with Will Arnett this morning was a good example of this.   

It will be interesting to see what projects he will be involved with, he says that some could be with Bell Media.  The very capable Anne Marie Mediwake will take over Mulroney's position on Your Morning.  

October 2, 2021 1:54 pm  #7

In the 70s and 80s, Canada AM was the only game in town (barring US morning shows) so I believe their ratings were huge. I doubt Your Morning has the same following, particularly in urban markets that have local morning shows. I don't know if Ben Mulroney's decision to leave has anything to do with CTV wanting to cut costs for a show whose ratings don't justify marquee salaries and not offering a generous contract renewal, or if he's sick of the morning grind and comfortable enough to switch to something else while he's still young - or both - but regardless, I have a feeling that like Rogers at BT, CTV will be focussing more on content than on star hosts as Your Morning moves forward