sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 25, 2021 8:05 pm  #1

Jewel 88.5 Dropping Ashby's Show On Saturday Afternoon

They made the announcement during what was the final Saturday airing on 88.5.  (It's been running from 4-7 PM since its original sign-on in Feb. 2020.) Not sure why they've decided to run it only on Sundays from 9 AM - noon. It's too bad - that early airing was perfect for me and I'm not sure I'll be able to listen to it as often in its one-time only slot. 

Meanwhile, Evanov's other station in this area (Lite 92.1 aka CKPC Brantford) was also running it in the same Saturday timeslot. They weren't airing anything about stopping it on that outlet, so maybe it will remain there. We'll hear next week. 

September 26, 2021 9:50 am  #2

Re: Jewel 88.5 Dropping Ashby's Show On Saturday Afternoon

Bummer! I too enjoyed the 4-7PM airing on Jewel 88.5. Guess I'll have to tune in to Lite 92 if I want to still listen Saturday's.... if it stays.

October 1, 2021 10:10 pm  #3

Try CHTG-FM...92.9 The GRAND.  Ashby has been playing there since the launch.

October 2, 2021 7:37 am  #4

lifer wrote:

Try CHTG-FM...92.9 The GRAND.  Ashby has been playing there since the launch.

Looks like that has also changed. Instead of airing it once on Saturday and once more on Sunday, it's also no longer Saturday. Instead, it's twice on Sunday. 

GRAND:

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 2, 2021 3:38 pm  #5

Just another quick update, Jewel 88.5 changed its name to Lite 88.5 on 1st of October, meaning that the last Jewel station aligned itself with the new "Lite" brand stations under Evanov Radio.

October 2, 2021 4:08 pm  #6

Sowny members should start taking bets right now on how long the two legacy shows that often feature older than oldies tracks will last. I  can’t recall the exact name of the shows  but they are or were on both area Jewell stations.

Last edited by Fitz (October 2, 2021 4:09 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

October 2, 2021 8:15 pm  #7

The Saturday replay was dropped by 88.5, but I did hear it at 4 PM on CKPC.92.1. So at least for now that station is still double running it. (And by the way, this weekend is a repeat.)

October 2, 2021 8:46 pm  #8

geo wrote:

Is it possible R. Ashby requested FM 88.5 Newmarket to drop the Saturday edition due to pressure from other stations carrying the identical program the following morning?     

Who would want to sponsor an also-ran?

No.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

October 3, 2021 10:36 am  #9

geo wrote:

Dale Patterson wrote:

No.     

It boils down to cost?    Was the Jewel required to pay double the usual fee, for running an identical program twice?

They'd only pay with bartered commercials, not cash.

It's likely not a coincidence that they halved its airing at the same time they re-branded and tweaked station's music. They're trying to get a slightly younger audience, and the show took up a fairly big chunk of real estate. 

October 3, 2021 11:59 am  #10

This show is sent out via Orbyt Media, which they don't charge anything but require airtime to run their commercials too pay for it.  Station gets the show, Orbyt gets the air time for their spots.

October 3, 2021 1:31 pm  #11

Dropping one play of the show makes perfect sense.  Lite is a new format for 88.5 and they are still running Ashby's show on Sunday morning.  This is when the original program ran on 1050 CHUM. 

Here is a memory from 2007, when CHUM celebrated their 50th anniversary as a Top 40 station with a big party and open house.   Rogers Sunday Morning Oldies Show from May 2007 on CHUM counting down the very first CHUM chart.  It is scoped a bit, but there is a lot of good stuff here from MixCloud....
https://www.mixcloud.com/Oldies2100/sunday-morning-oldies-show-2007-rogery-ashby-1957-chum-chart-show/

October 9, 2021 7:58 pm  #12

RadioActive wrote:

The Saturday replay was dropped by 88.5, but I did hear it at 4 PM on CKPC.92.1. So at least for now that station is still double running it. (And by the way, this weekend is a repeat.)

Update: On Saturday, Lite 92.1 ran repeated warnings that the Saturday Ashby airing was being discontinued as of October 24th and would only run from 9 AM-noon Sunday starting then.  So it will soon no longer be available here on the first day of the weekend. 

October 10, 2021 5:39 pm  #13

The show is available Saturday morning 9-12noon on 580 CKWW Windsor on line.  CKWW seems to have quite a few Michigan listeners since pretty much every week Roger's show has one or two phone requests from Michigan.  

October 10, 2021 7:45 pm  #14

paterson1 wrote:

The show is available Saturday morning 9-12noon on 580 CKWW Windsor on line.  CKWW seems to have quite a few Michigan listeners since pretty much every week Roger's show has one or two phone requests from Michigan.  

Does CKWW make it into Detroit? It's 500 watts and the transmitter isn't close to the border from what I recall 

October 10, 2021 9:31 pm  #15

torontostan wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Does CKWW make it into Detroit? It's 500 watts and the transmitter isn't close to the border from what I recall 

They reach about half of Metro Detroit with their local signal and almost the whole Metro area with the distant signal, if the attached map is accurate.   Also cover Michigan north of the city.  I remember reading in the Detroit Radio Forum that there was some concern when Bell changed format of their two Windsor FM frequencies to Virgin and Pure Country that AM 580 would be dropping oldies.  The comments seemed to be from US listeners, so they must have a bit of a following in and around the Detroit area . And Ashby certainly gets requests from across the border including Detroit.  

Last edited by paterson1 (October 10, 2021 9:35 pm)

October 10, 2021 9:54 pm  #16

paterson1 wrote:

They reach about half of Metro Detroit with their local signal and almost the whole Metro area with the distant signal, if the attached map is accurate.   Also cover Michigan north of the city.  I remember reading in the Detroit Radio Forum that there was some concern when Bell changed format of their two Windsor FM frequencies to Virgin and Pure Country that AM 580 would be dropping oldies.  The comments seemed to be from US listeners, so they must have a bit of a following in and around the Detroit area . And Ashby certainly gets requests from across the border including Detroit.  

Wow! Amazing what 500 watts can cover. Do you have a coverage map for CHLO? Curious to see the difference between their 1000 watts and CFZM/CJBC's 50,000 CC down the road. Also, I'd say that if CKWW's format wasn't touched already then it's probably safe until the transmitter dies. Bounce Radio would've made sense especially since it looks like they have a couple AM's in BC already. 

October 10, 2021 10:06 pm  #17

torontostan wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Wow! Amazing what 500 watts can cover. Do you have a coverage map for CHLO? Curious to see the difference between their 1000 watts and CFZM/CJBC's 50,000 CC down the road. Also, I'd say that if CKWW's format wasn't touched already then it's probably safe until the transmitter dies. Bounce Radio would've made sense especially since it looks like they have a couple AM's in BC already. 

Just google radio locator or radio locator.com and you can check out almost any radio station coverage area.  AM stations have both daytime and nightime maps.  The only tricky thing is for Canadian and most international stations they don't show any geography on the maps, cities, towns etc.  So if you want a station in Saskatchewan, you may just get a green map with a couple  of patterns, but no reference of where they are or what other towns and cities they reach.  All US stations show the areas that the signal reaches, state borders etc.  Pretty interesting stuff! 
Here is CHLO..

Last edited by paterson1 (October 10, 2021 10:13 pm)

October 10, 2021 11:37 pm  #18

geo wrote:

radiokid wrote:

This show is sent out via Orbyt Media, which they don't charge anything but require airtime to run their commercials to pay for it 

In summary, Lite 88.5 Newmarket walked away from a freebie, widely listened-to program (based on comments posted on this SOWNY forum over the past couple of years) and replaced it with muzak their music director and program director have decided that listeners will prefer in prime time 4 - 7:00 Saturday afternoons?         

I do not work at Evanov's operation, so you would need to ask them, but my guess here it's more to do with the format shift.    Saturdays at 4pm they may feel could push the younger demo they are trying to hit away  and leaving their former older demo only during that time shot (and many hours after).   They also may be required to run more spots than they want to give to Orbyt for the extra airing (which I don't think is the case).

If I'm betting here, it's way more to do with demographics.   Sunday mornings tend to have older demos, so they may see the value diving the older demo to that time slot. 

Popular in a demo that isn't sellable to a client, means nothing...   25-54 pays the bills, and for Lite, they are pushing 35+ with their new brand.   Once the demos get 65+, the client base is very small. 

October 11, 2021 8:04 am  #19

Just a quick addition to the Radio Locator site, non subscribers are restricted to a set number of searches per day. I can't remember what that number is. Subscription rates are $50 or $75/month depending on whether you want the Gold or Silver package. Some of the services included are station owner searches, the top 100 radio station websites visited and the top 100 radio station streaming sites listened too. Plus, the station search set per day is "greatly increased"