sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 1, 2021 6:24 am  #31

Re: Zellers Returns!

I remember visiting a Zellers (or maybe it was Kresge’s) in 1960 or so in Montreal. In their ‘record section’, there was usually a Survey Chart. It wasn’t from a local radio station and it wasn’t Billboard or Cashbox. It was Canadian. Does anyone else remember the chart?

October 1, 2021 7:57 am  #32

RadioActive wrote:

I'm amazed how much interest this thread has attracted. The department store concept may be long gone, but it's obviously not forgotten. Here's one more. I don't know how many people remember Morgan's, which was a chain that originally started in Montreal. There were a few here in Toronto and the one that was closest to me as a kid was at Lawrence Plaza. It was eventually bought out by The Bay. 

Haven't been to Bathurst and Lawrence in a long time, but I think that store is now a Winners.

The only Morgan's I remember was at Cloverdale Mall, which I think became a Bay, then Zellers and now Winners.

October 1, 2021 9:34 am  #33

Damian wrote:

I remember visiting a Zellers (or maybe it was Kresge’s) in 1960 or so in Montreal. In their ‘record section’, there was usually a Survey Chart. It wasn’t from a local radio station and it wasn’t Billboard or Cashbox. It was Canadian. Does anyone else remember the chart?

That's odd the chart wasn't from a local radio station, or even Billboard or Cashbox.  RPM's chart didn't happen until  June 1964.  Could be that Zeller's had their own in house Survey Chart for the stores.  Zeller's sold a ton of singles and albums, and did have locations everywhere, so it could have been their own chart. 

October 4, 2021 12:32 pm  #34

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/club-z-s-not-dead-baby-zellers-is-back-sort-of-1.6196984/is-the-lowest-price-the-law-again-zellers-returns-as-a-pop-up-store-1.6197346

Gotta get the last squeeze out of this story, good ole CBC finally investigates and posted this report yesterday. It's surprisingly not dry.

(Thanks for sharing about the Morgan's department stores RadioActive, the logo brought back memories of shopping for new school clothes there with my mom for grade school in Beaconsfield on the West Island during the last sweltering week of August in the 70's, how did we ever survive without air conditioning?)

October 9, 2021 9:32 am  #35

One thing that Roger Ashby does occasionally on his show is play old radio commercials.  In the past he has played the old Dominion grocery jingle, Wrigley's gum, Coke, Pepsi and other's that escape me right now.  This morning at about 20 minutes into the first hour he played on old Simpsons-Sears radio jingle likely from the mid 60's.  The old radio commercials bring back lots of memories too.  On his show this week he is saluting John Lennon, October 9th would have been John's 81st birthday.

Last edited by paterson1 (October 9, 2021 9:37 am)

October 9, 2021 9:52 am  #36

paterson1 wrote:

One thing that Roger Ashby does occasionally on his show is play old radio commercials.  In the past he has played the old Dominion grocery jingle, Wrigley's gum, Coke, Pepsi and other's that escape me right now.  This morning at about 20 minutes into the first hour he played on old Simpsons-Sears radio jingle likely from the mid 60's.  The old radio commercials bring back lots of memories too.  On his show this week he is saluting John Lennon, October 9th would have been John's 81st birthday.

Waterloo .. a break from residence food .. great pizza .. Super Steins .. easy on the wallet ..  Frank Vetere's .. back when life was way less complicated : )) ..  

October 9, 2021 10:51 am  #37

paterson1 wrote:

Somewhere I have a reel of old Simsons commercials. At least I think it was Simsons and not Eaton's and I hope I did not record over that tape or sell it.. Perhaps one day I will find it again. Was a production reel.

Here's a Coke commercial from CJBQ that I luckily digitized some years ago:

Coke 1962

Last edited by Fitz (October 9, 2021 10:54 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

October 11, 2021 4:20 am  #38

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Or what about the Bi-Way? (Which, come to think of it, may have an entirely different meaning in these sexually liberated times...)

Bi-way is back, expected to open very soon on Orfus road in Toronto (if not already open...)  https://biwaystore.com/

Okay I take that back!!    Long live Zellers!!!!
 https://www.narcity.com/toronto/the-opening-of-torontos-long-awaited-biway-10-store-is-now-potentially-cancelled

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 12, 2021 10:18 am  #39

Apparently, there's more nostalgia than bargains. 

Zellers returns — kind of — but the lowest price isn't quite the law

October 18, 2021 10:27 pm  #40

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.