sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 24, 2021 9:59 am  #1

Dynamic Director Dies But Leaves Unbelievable TV Legacy

You wouldn't know him from seeing his face. You may not even be aware of his name, unless you're like me and obsessively watch the opening credits of TV shows. But you've certainly seen the programs he's helmed. 

Next to Jim Burrows, Jay Sandrich was perhaps one of the most prolific and in demand directors in TV history. The list of shows in which he was behind the camera in one form or another is simply incredible:

I Love Lucy, The Dick van Dyke Show, The Mary Tyler Moore Show (including the pilot and that infamous final episode),The Bob Newhart Show, WKRP In Cincinatti, Soap, Benson, Get Smart, Two and a Half Men, The Odd Couple, Laverne & Shirley, That Girl, Welcome Back Kotter, Night Court, The Andy Griffith Show, The Cosby Show, The Danny Thomas Show (currently rerunning on CHCH in the afternoons) and two of my personal favourites, the somewhat obscure He & She and the Governor & J.J.

He also was instrumental in advising that Betty White and Rue McClanahan switch roles in the Golden Girls, because he remembered the former from her Sue Anne Nivens days on MTM, and realized she'd be perfect for the role. 

Quite a legacy for someone you may never have heard of before today. The five time Emmy winner was 89.

Jay Sandrich, Prolific Director on ‘The Mary Tyler Moore Show’ and ‘The Cosby Show,’ Dies at 89

Jay Sandrich's IMDB Page

September 24, 2021 10:08 am  #2

Re: Dynamic Director Dies But Leaves Unbelievable TV Legacy

I too read screen credits and immediately recognised the name.

September 24, 2021 10:59 am  #3

Re: Dynamic Director Dies But Leaves Unbelievable TV Legacy

I remember his name well.  Thanks RA.