sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 22, 2021 8:44 pm  #1

CKDO Oshawa To Celebrate 75th Anniversary On Air This Weekend

I received a special thank you email from Chris Koppin of CKDO Oshawa on Wednesday, thanking all the SOWNY-ites who contributed to the station's coming 75th anniversary celebration. He may well file his own message here. But for those interested, here's a sample of what they're planning, starting this coming weekend.

"Just wanted to let you know that this weekend we launch the CKDO Diamond Jubilee celebration! We're starting with the "Top 75 Greatest hits of the 60's" with Ted Yates bringing his considerable talent to the event. We will have a new countdown every weekend this month with lots more coming in the next couple of months.

"The podcast I've been working on also debuts this Friday over at ckdo.ca. I'm real excited for folks to hear the conversation we had with John Donabie, not to mention Dan Willmott and we talked with Al Kingdon and Tom Harkness together a bunch of characters let me tell you! We're going to keep updated the podcast thru the year as we get a chance to talk with other folks that have come thru here."

I'm really looking forward to hearing some of this stuff and I know Mr. Koppin has been working hard on it for months. It's tough to find stuff going back all that way but it looks like he found something. I can hardly wait to hear John Donabie's memories, since I believe that was his first major radio station.

If you're looking for something special to listen to this coming week, try 107.7, 1580 or the website to stream it. Like Mr. KIte on "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart Club Band," 'a splendid time is guaranteed for all.'

CKDO 75th Anniversary Page

September 22, 2021 9:33 pm  #2

Re: CKDO Oshawa To Celebrate 75th Anniversary On Air This Weekend

i held various positions at ckdo (and its sister station) including pd and morning man (ckdo), now that was fun. lots of great personal memories including a national award and a trip to mexico. i went from there to going national with the pelmorex radio network (thanks to pat st. john).

September 23, 2021 8:03 am  #3

I meant to record a short message from my time there and wish the gang a Happy 75th!

September 24, 2021 3:40 pm  #4

Thank you, RA.  Apparently I will be in Segment two.  Not sure when that runs.  Just recorded a mp3 wishing them all well.

September 28, 2021 5:04 pm  #5

Thanks so much for putting this up RA. Your help and the help of this community has been key to helping us put this all together. We're under way as of last weekend with the first of our countdowns and the launch of episode one of the podcast. We continue the Diamond Jubilee with the TOP 75 Greatest hits of 70's this weekend and on Friday episode 2 of the podcast launches with conversations with John Donabie and Al Kingdon together with Tom Harkness. It's all available over at ckdo.ca and the link that RA included at top of the page. Please join us!
Hey original Hank..Our podcast is continuing thru the year and I love to chat and include you in a episode. Please reach out to koppin@ckdo.ca and we'll chat.
djwildbill...not too late. Feel free to put something together and send it too me at the above address. If anyone else who came thru Oshawa Radio and would like to be included in this please reach out or record something and send it my way. We'd love to hear from you...
John...you're up this Friday. I hope you enjoy it...

September 28, 2021 8:19 pm  #6

They should replay their first broadcast day as a tribute.