sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 19, 2021 9:44 am  #1

Whose Coverage Gets Your Vote On Election Night?

It's a question that comes up every time there's an election: who will get your attention once the polls close? I'm a classic grazer - tuning from one channel to the next, depending on what they're doing and who's on their inevitable panel. 

The same with the radio if I'm out walking the pooch. I'm not entirely sure what GNR640 has in mind between the time the TV network starts its coverage at 10 PM, but I do find CFRB has some of the best analysts - ranging from Tom Mulcair to Scott Reid, who've both been through political campaigns in the past and can speak with some authority. Even if I rarely agree with either of them. 

So on the tube, I'll probably be shifting between CTV and Global, with an occasional glance at the CBC. On the radio, I'm guessing RB will be my choice, although 640 will fill in whatever dull spots they may hit. 680 will work best for instant recaps. I have almost zero interest in CBC Radio 1 for some reason, although I'm sure they'll have an extensive group working on it. 

But I'm guessing there are some here who will eschew the broadcast media altogether and go for up-to-the-second updates over the web. I have no idea which one to choose there, just because of the sheer volume of outlets. 

Or maybe you're so sick of them all you'll just wait until the next day and find out the final score, otherwise ignoring the whole thing. 

We don't know who will win on Monday. But you can predict who will win your favour to watch the results. I'm curious to know where you'll be casting your results ballot. 

September 19, 2021 10:24 am  #2

Re: Whose Coverage Gets Your Vote On Election Night?

CBC 

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

September 19, 2021 10:38 am  #3

CBC is a good choice, but I might want CP 24 because they'll have a closer focus on ridings (in Toronto) where some candidates are no longer present or have been told they can not sit with their party.

I think CBC & others will behave like one Federal coverage source while CP 24 will have more of a Toronto focused team.  

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 19, 2021 11:15 am  #4

I will be flipping between mostly CTV and CBC, but will look at Global, CHCH and City when they are on.  It will be interesting to see if Tom Mulcair is on CTV at all since he is going to be with the TVA network in Quebec.  He is a regular pundit for them and has been on that network for years. CTV does have Jody Wilson Raybould as one of their commentators tomorrow.  Don't listen to radio at all for election coverage. I am thinking that both CTV and CBC will have a similar format and set as last time since it was only two years ago.  CBC had the best graphics and technology last time, but overall CTV's coverage was better, with stronger commentary in my opinion.  Wonder if Lloyd will be back again this time?  CBC will likely have Mansbridge back for a bit tomorrow. 

September 19, 2021 12:24 pm  #5

Detroit and Green Bay, then the election.

September 19, 2021 12:32 pm  #6

There's no doubt the networks have been planning this for some time. I know how long it takes to put this kind of coverage together and believe me, it's not easy or cheap. And while I'm sure they had some contingency plans in place, remember they only had 36 days from the actual call to pull it all together. That's not a lot of time to arrange transport, assign correspondents, book hotel rooms and flights, and all the usual insanity that comes with an election night marathon broadcast, which this will almost certainly wind up being. 

Here's the CBC's immediate plans:

Rosemary Barton gets the main anchor chair, along with Ian Hanomansing, Adrienne Arsenault, Andrew Chang and David Cochrane, plus reporters at all the key ridings and with the leaders.

CBC Election Night Coverage Lookout 

CTV puts chief anchor Lisa LaFlamme up front, with a plethora of go-to familiar name guests: 
 Evan Solomon, Amanda Lang, Omar Sachedina and Richard Madan in Washington, and a host of regular reporters, including Queen's Park bureau chief Colin D'Mello. There will also be analysis from Tom Mulcair, Scott Reid, Rona Ambrose, Olivia Chow and Jody Wilson-Raybould, which is a pretty impressive list.

(Does that mean that the usual pundits won't be available for CFRB and nationwide radio coverage? Or will they just take the TV audio with occasional Toronto cut-ins? I guess we'll see - or rather, hear.)

CTV Election Night 2021

I couldn't find any online bumpf about Global's plans, but you can be sure that old hands Mercedes Stephenson and David Akin will both be around to add their two cents. Or at least a nickel, since we no longer have the penny. I'm guessing Global National's Dawna Friesen will get the anchor chair. 

Not sure what City's coverage will look like, but CTV has now moved its start time from 7 PM to 6:30 PM, meaning a half hour local newscast at 6 PM on CFTO. What exactly they'll be able to report while waiting for the major Eastern time polls to close isn't clear. 

All in all, a very long (and expensive) night ahead. 

September 19, 2021 1:40 pm  #7

CBC on the tube ..

September 19, 2021 3:10 pm  #8

I usually flip around and land on whoever's graphics I like best. 

September 19, 2021 3:24 pm  #9

RadioActive wrote:

Or at least a nickel, since we no longer have the penny.

No more physical penny, but we do have the digital Canadian Penny.  
Like it or not, the digital penny is forever. 
Not paying cash means no rounding up or down. The EXACT amount comes out of your bank account. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 19, 2021 5:34 pm  #10

What on earth is CTV doing starting their coverage at 6:30?  I know the polls will soon be closed in Newfoundland but really, just how much filler do they have until numbers start coming in?

Which reminds me.  I was a deputy returning officer in a poll two elections ago.  I was stunned that the ballots are stilled counted by hand.  There's got to be a better way to do this.  I can just imagine the headaches if they changed to a ranked ballot and still counted by hand.

September 19, 2021 7:22 pm  #11

If we end up with election results that are nearly the exact same as they were before the vote, which station do you think will be the first to bumper back into coverage with that old Maxine Nightingale chestnut, "Right Back Where We Started From?"

September 19, 2021 7:35 pm  #12

CTV/CP24

September 19, 2021 7:59 pm  #13

Peter the K wrote:

What on earth is CTV doing starting their coverage at 6:30?  I know the polls will soon be closed in Newfoundland but really, just how much filler do they have until numbers start coming in?

Which reminds me.  I was a deputy returning officer in a poll two elections ago.  I was stunned that the ballots are stilled counted by hand.  There's got to be a better way to do this.  I can just imagine the headaches if they changed to a ranked ballot and still counted by hand.

Several times I've served as a scrutineer for my party to supervise the counting of the ballots. It usually goes pretty smoothly.

September 19, 2021 10:43 pm  #14

Peter the K wrote:

Personally, as an American, count me as surprised that the majority of the election drama is USUALLY settled by the time I get to bed. Here in the states, there have been times(especially in the last 2 presidential elections)where the winner wasn't determined until early in the morning. And most of OUR voting machines are electronic. You can't hack a paper ballot and a pencil; you CAN hack into a voting machine.

September 19, 2021 10:50 pm  #15

CTV

September 19, 2021 11:18 pm  #16

turkeytop wrote:

Peter the K wrote:

Several times I've served as a scrutineer for my party to supervise the counting of the ballots. It usually goes pretty smoothly.

I hope it never changes.  It's simple, it's fast and it works.

September 20, 2021 10:47 am  #17

This may be the first federal election in the modern era that won't be known for a day or two.  I believe the election of 1972 also wasn't determined until the next day since a few ridings needed to be recounted, and the Liberals under Pierre and the Conservatives under Robert were tied in the seat count.  Today, it could be 2-5 days before we know the winner if it turns out to be close, and depending how many mail in ballots actually come back, and some polls may need to stay open after 9pm. 

Elections Ontario uses tabulators in most ridings, however all paper ballots are saved if a recount needs to be done manually or if a tabulating machine stops working. Tabulating equipment is not connected to the internet.  Elections Canada counts all ballots manually, which is considered by many to be the best way.

September 20, 2021 12:46 pm  #18

mike marshall wrote:

This - things don't get really interesting until after 10pm ET anyway

September 20, 2021 5:51 pm  #19

I generally like our federal voting system, but I don't see why votes cast in advance can't be counted well before polls close on election night. Not only would it make for interesting TV, but it would speed up the process and prevent issues like what happened in the US ("stop the steal" BS). Imagine if right at 8:30 PM ET we started to get significant results from Atlantic Canada? 

Advance votes should at least be able to be counted during election day.. currently they have to wait until 1 hour before their poll closes. Just my two cents. My coverage vote goes to CBC and CTV, not sure why City even bothers, and Global has always been so so. 

September 20, 2021 7:21 pm  #20

Johnny B wrote:

mike marshall wrote:

This - things don't get really interesting until after 10pm ET anyway

My reason for watching a couple of 0-1 football teams that are long-time favourites, one going
back to the Lombardi/Starr days. There has to be a winner and I'd be happy either way.
Also, Jays are in Tampa tonight, so there's more than one reason to not pay much attention to
an election where a winner may be days away.

September 20, 2021 8:03 pm  #21

Even the Corpse is leaning on PR Professionals for content tonight. 

Jesus wept.

September 20, 2021 8:45 pm  #22

For those who like to gravitate towards Global, while the Toronto flagship is showing US shows, CHEX Peterborough and CKWS Kingston have been in live coverage

September 21, 2021 5:50 am  #23

I checked out election coverage during commercial breaks on MNF. Spent very little time listening to each network's gang of political experts. In my opinion, CTV's presentation of each party's elected/leading numbers was superior to CBC's. For online coverage, I found the Globe & Mail site excellent.  Very easy to find detailed, up to date information on every riding.

September 21, 2021 7:46 am  #24

CBC was good but their graphics didn't identify incumbents, CTV was better and their graphics did. I didn't spend much time on Global since  it was pretty much over by the time they came on. Locally in London CTV2 didn't bother to do anything but the local Rogers channel covered the local ridings reasonably well.

September 21, 2021 9:50 am  #25

All of the networks, stations did a good job.  CTV had a great opening, their set was a basically the CTV Toronto news set with a couple of long desks on either side.  CBC had the best set and graphics.  I preferred Lisa to Rosemary in terms of anchor.  Locally both CP24 and CHCH were fine.  CHCH was working out of their temporary studio which is across the street from their new facility.  They are moving this fall. CTV to their credit, had local/regional returns on CTV Kitchener, rather than national.   Wasn't really a late night after all with media declaring a Liberal minority well before midnight.  Also surprising overall the actual voting went alright.  Some downtown polling stations backed up for a few hours, but most went smoothly, although slower than usual. 

September 21, 2021 1:33 pm  #26

I worked at one of the polls, so I didn't get home until almost 11:00. I turned on CBC, but by then the drama was all over. More of the status quo. I watched for about an hour, had a good stiff drink, then went to bed. 

September 21, 2021 5:44 pm  #27

I watched the CBC, mainly because they had the best graphics. The downside was watching Rosemary Barton cackle with glee at the results. So much for impartiality.

Last edited by Dale Patterson (September 21, 2021 9:33 pm)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

September 22, 2021 1:53 am  #28

Dale Patterson wrote:

I watched the CBC, mainly because they had the best graphics. The downside was watching Rosemary Barton cackle with glee at the results. So much for impartiality.

I doubt very much that happened.