sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 18, 2021 10:47 pm  #1

Rogers Anyplace TV

RIP Rogers Anyplace TV.  

Here is the Email that was sent to me: 

Hello (Rogers customer name), 

We occasionally review and make changes to our products and services as part of our ongoing efforts to deliver experiences that create more value for our customers.
As part of these efforts, we sometimes transition from older products and features with low usage.
Starting on October 10, 2021, the Rogers 
Anyplace TVTM service included with your Rogers Digital TV subscription, will no longer be available.
Since this service is accessed through an app and online streaming portal, you’ll no longer be able to view subscribed programming on your computer or mobile devices via Rogers Anyplace TV.

We noticed that you’ve previously downloaded the Rogers Anyplace TV App. To continue streaming, contact us for more information on other options available for you.

The rest of your Rogers TV service will remain the same. This change is made in accordance with the CRTC Television Service Provider Code. If you have any questions or no longer wish to subscribe to your Rogers Digital TV service, chat with our virtual assistant Anna for fast, easy support at anna.rogers.com/home

Thank you for choosing Rogers.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 19, 2021 8:46 pm  #2

Re: Rogers Anyplace TV

I am very upset with Rogers. I have been using Anyplace TV daily on my iPad. We usually have dinner in our condo kitchen between 6pm and 7pm. We like to watch CTV Toronto news at 6pm and NBC news at 6:30pm.
during dinner We do not have any space for a 19-inch TV in our kitchen nor do we want one there. The Anyplace TV app served our purpose well.  I can still get CTV news at six on the CTV news app but how can I get NBC news at 6 :30 live on the iPad?   Lots of us still have Rogers cable so why should we be denied
the use of mobile TV on any device?  

September 19, 2021 8:54 pm  #3

mojo55 wrote:

I am very upset with Rogers. I have been using Anyplace TV daily on my iPad. We usually have dinner in our condo kitchen between 6pm and 7pm. We like to watch CTV Toronto news at 6pm and NBC news at 6:30pm.
during dinner We do not have any space for a 19-inch TV in our kitchen nor do we want one there. The Anyplace TV app served our purpose well.  I can still get CTV news at six on the CTV news app but how can I get NBC news at 6 :30 live on the iPad?   Lots of us still have Rogers cable so why should we be denied
the use of mobile TV on any device?  

you're already paying for the channel .. they deprived you from watching the channel .. so 
https://ustvgo.tv/nbc/ 

September 19, 2021 9:07 pm  #4

Yes I am aware of this website but I should not have to pay for a VPN to access this network on a mobile device since I am already paying Robbers for it. Furthermore Ignite has an app but is not available yet in our building.

September 19, 2021 9:15 pm  #5

what are the other options?

September 19, 2021 9:29 pm  #6

Looks like Rogers is getting serious about squeezing everyone out of standard digital cable and into an Ignite package.  I'll have to admit in the two years we've been on Ignite it's been rock solid which is good because there are two of working at home.  It didn't start that way, though.  Even had to sick CCTS on them because of a billing issue they wouldn't do anything about. 

They already won't sell new digital cable subs and are very reluctant to support older boxes.  I wouldn't be surprised to see the axe will fall on legacy digital cable sooner rather than later.

September 19, 2021 9:50 pm  #7

mojo55 wrote:

Yes I am aware of this website but I should not have to pay for a VPN to access this network on a mobile device since I am already paying Robbers for it. Furthermore Ignite has an app but is not available yet in our building.

I hear you .. I had Rogers Cable TV for many decades but finally gave it up about 14 months ago for Teksavvy TV.   What we want & what we think we should get doesn't always match what we're actually offered.  

We had the Rogers VIP package but really only watch Sports & News .. so we now pay Basic+SportsFan+News=$20+20+$8=$48/month for TekTV instead of $65-70'ish for Rogers. No more annual haggling w/ Rogers for a discount, no longer irritated by the dreadfully slow Rogers cable box & no longer waiting for Rogers to totally pull the plug in favour of Ignite TV.

The Teksavvy app works great on a Firestick for my TV and works great on my tablet. I'm on a 50down/8up VDSL connection.

One can get great deals on VPNs .. I use Surfshark for a measly ~$3/month for first 24 months then it goes to $6/month.  Pretty cheap for the flexibility & extra security. 

A pain that things don't just work & stay the same .. we've got to keep nimble : )) .. 

September 19, 2021 10:04 pm  #8

g121 wrote:

no longer irritated by the dreadfully slow Rogers cable box 

I have the Nextbox 3.0 and I LOVE it very much. It is not slow at all.

cash wrote:

It hurts me deeply to say this, but switch to Bell so you can have their ALT TV service. 
https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/bell/bell-alt-tv/ 

September 19, 2021 10:12 pm  #9

After decades with Rogers, we left for Bell two years ago.  We have Bell fibre to the home and it has been 100% rock solid.  The Bell Fibe TV app lets us watch "TV" anywhere, on my phone, tablet or PC, including any recordings on our PVR.  Very slick.

September 20, 2021 8:45 am  #10

In Phase wrote:

After decades with Rogers, we left for Bell two years ago.  We have Bell fibre to the home and it has been 100% rock solid.  The Bell Fibe TV app lets us watch "TV" anywhere, on my phone, tablet or PC, including any recordings on our PVR.  Very slick.

I'm with you In Phase. Except I got rid of Rogers over 20 years ago and moved to Star Choice/Shaw Direct satellite. But during the summer of 2020 I made the move to Bell Fibe. As you say, it has been rock solid. I also love the Bell Fibe mobile app. I particularly like the access to my PVR from my tablet or phone. Let's hope they don't go the Rogers route and arbitrarily cancel the mobile app.

September 20, 2021 12:22 pm  #11

Tq345 wrote:

I'm with you In Phase. Except I got rid of Rogers over 20 years ago and moved to Star Choice/Shaw Direct satellite. But during the summer of 2020 I made the move to Bell Fibe. As you say, it has been rock solid. I also love the Bell Fibe mobile app. I particularly like the access to my PVR from my tablet or phone. Let's hope they don't go the Rogers route and arbitrarily cancel the mobile app.

I wonder, will people switch to Bell in droves once AnyplaceTV officially shuts down? 
Rogers claims that AnyplaceTV has low traffic, but I'm finding no shortage of people who claim they use it.

September 20, 2021 1:09 pm  #12

I live in a 20 storey condo. We have a contract with Rogers Cable, paid for in our maintenance fees, which just re-upped in January. Bell wanted to come in and replace Rogers. They were going to run Fibe individually to each unit (257 with multiple cable outlets + the management office.) Then Bell's engineers said, no can do. Rogers came with an offer: Digital VIP Package (which we already had - no Ignite TV possible yet), if someone had a 4K NextBox (like me), that monthly cost was waived or an upgrade to a 4K NB with $3.99 a month discount, 1 GB Ignite Internet including Router (which I already had) and, if asked for, Crave, HBO, Starz and Movies would be included, no extra charge. Free set up from Rogers' Techs too if necessary. Total monthly fee: $40. The Condo Board wisely signed as quickly as they could - and it's a 5 year contract.

My costs outside of $40 in my maintenance fees dropped from just over $158 including tax, to $15.26. It would be zero, except I have the Seattle TV stations package.

I'm pretty happy with Rogers right now. AnyPlace TV not available? No problem.

Last edited by The Weed (September 20, 2021 1:10 pm)

September 20, 2021 2:54 pm  #13

Radiowiz wrote:

g121 wrote:

no longer irritated by the dreadfully slow Rogers cable box 

I have the Nextbox 3.0 and I LOVE it very much. It is not slow at all.

cash wrote:

It hurts me deeply to say this, but switch to Bell so you can have their ALT TV service. 
https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/bell/bell-alt-tv/ 

Or why wouldn't you just move over to the Ignite TV platform, which lets you watch anywhere using the Ignite TV app.      All this is, is a move away from legacy digital cable to IPTV based service.   The SAME technology Bell, Teksavvy etc. are using.  This is where things have been going for a while...   

Last edited by radiokid (September 20, 2021 3:00 pm)

September 20, 2021 2:59 pm  #14

Radiowiz wrote:

Tq345 wrote:

I wonder, will people switch to Bell in droves once AnyplaceTV officially shuts down? 
Rogers claims that AnyplaceTV has low traffic, but I'm finding no shortage of people who claim they use it.

Why?   I don't get your statement here...   Ignite TV offers the same thing.... and it's not shutting down.   Bell is a pure IPTV product, the same as Rogers Ignite so I don't see why anyone would run to Bell in this case. 

September 20, 2021 3:27 pm  #15

radiokid wrote:

Why?   I don't get your statement here...   Ignite TV offers the same thing.... and it's not shutting down.   Bell is a pure IPTV product, the same as Rogers Ignite so I don't see why anyone would run to Bell in this case. 

I shouldn't have to switch ANYTHING. If I am a valued customer of Rogers anything, whether it be Legacy cable or their ignite thing, I should be able to keep using anyplace TV.

If I have to switch from Legacy cable to Ignite, then I WILL switch to Bell because I'm forced to make any sort of switch in the first place.

September 20, 2021 3:59 pm  #16

Listening to all the positive posts about Bell,  I am considering a change.  Do I understand correctly that a single device will serve more than one location in a residence?

September 20, 2021 4:10 pm  #17

Radiowiz wrote:

radiokid wrote:

I shouldn't have to switch ANYTHING. If I am a valued customer of Rogers anything, whether it be Legacy cable or their ignite thing, I should be able to keep using anyplace TV.

If I have to switch from Legacy cable to Ignite, then I WILL switch to Bell because I'm forced to make any sort of switch in the first place.

Seems like a lot more work than simply converting a service you already have...   Sadly as technology changes, upgrades have to happen with all companies.  Cable co's have done TV longer than Bell, and do have more legacy customers because of it.     

No one is telling you what to do.. you can make choices, but it's not realistic to keep legacy going forever just because a few like yourself don't wanna change. It also make no sense to support 2 platforms.   The way you presented your issue, they had been leaving you with no choice...  Which is not true..    Accept the technology is changing and move over OR go to someone else.. 100% your call. To be honest, Bell uses the same tech, so there is no avoiding IPTV if that's what your intention is.   I'm sure anyone moving over from legacy to ignite gets offered deals of some kind.    

Last edited by radiokid (September 20, 2021 4:12 pm)

September 20, 2021 4:15 pm  #18

Media Observer wrote:

Listening to all the positive posts about Bell,  I am considering a change.  Do I understand correctly that a single device will serve more than one location in a residence?

No.... You require Bell internet for TV service to work/to subscribe.   Then you can access it remotely using their app.  (same as Rogers Ignite)  This is due to distribution rights issues. 

September 20, 2021 4:44 pm  #19

radiokid wrote:

All this is, is a move away from legacy digital cable to IPTV based service.   The SAME technology Bell, Teksavvy etc. are using.  This is where things have been going for a while...   

Well... it's not the same technology.  Yes, it is IPTV, that is to say each service is individually "streamed" to you, one at a time, unlike the old analog cable TV days (and digital cable BTW) where all channels are on the cable simultaneously .  More importantly, Rogers is still using RF technology on their legacy coaxial cable plant.  All their services, digital cable, Internet, Ignite TV, are all modulated onto RF carriers and sitting on the coax cable and need amplifiers and splitters, just like in the old days.  In my case it is on 50 year old coax buried in the backyard with splitters that are shared between neighbours.

With Bell fiber (not Bell on old POTS twisted pair phone cable, yuck) I have an optical connection.  This is truly state-of-the-art.  I would never go back to a Rogers "cable TV" platform.

Media Observer wrote:

Yes, Bell provides a single device (aka modem/router/switch ) that takes the optical feed and presents a number of Ethernet output ports for the user's equipment to connect to.  It also provides WiFi capability.  Your home phone connects to it as well as your TV service (either wired or wireless).  No coax cable runs to each TV.  There is a built-in battery backup as well.

I am not a huge fan of either Bell or Rogers when it comes to their marketing tactics but Bell fiber, in my opinion, is the best home technology you can get today. 

September 20, 2021 8:56 pm  #20

radiokid wrote:

[
No one is telling you what to do.. you can make choices, but it's not realistic to keep legacy going forever just because a few like yourself don't wanna change. It also make no sense to support 2 platforms.   The way you presented your issue, they had been leaving you with no choice...  Which is not true..    Accept the technology is changing and move over OR go to someone else.. 100% your call. To be honest, Bell uses the same tech, so there is no avoiding IPTV if that's what your intention is.   I'm sure anyone moving over from legacy to ignite gets offered deals of some kind.    

It's not "a few like yourself" & I'm not avoiding technology, I'm angry that AnyplaceTV is going away.
I don't really care if Rogers Ignite and Bell Fibe (according to you) are the same thing.  That's not the point.
The point is Rogers does not care if I am a customer or not. If they did care, they'd leave Rogers AnyplaceTV alone...at least as an app on my phone.
Maybe they can put together a new app (on my phone) that does the same thing? All without having to terminate my Legacy cable.

October 7, 2021 11:46 pm  #21

Rogers confirms its Anyplace TV app will die on October 10
https://mobilesyrup.com/2021/10/07/rogers-anyplace-tv-will-die-october-10/

October 8, 2021 10:01 pm  #22

cash wrote:

Rogers confirms its Anyplace TV app will die on October 10
https://mobilesyrup.com/2021/10/07/rogers-anyplace-tv-will-die-october-10/

Rogers Ignite TV does not have any live streaming channels for the mobile phone. 
No Ignite TV app to act the same as Anyplace TV.
That's too bad.
I'm just finishing up the year with Rogers. (give or take a month or two)
It sounds like Rogers is serious about keeping me as a customer though.
I was going to switch to Bell but I'm impressed with some of the offers to switch to Rogers Ignite TV, including 1 year of Disney Plus for free. (& other discounts through loyalty for at least one year)

October 9, 2021 11:20 am  #23

Gee I wonder what they will offer me when my current contract ends in March 2022. It will be 30 years with Rogers then.

October 9, 2021 12:10 pm  #24

mace wrote:

Gee I wonder what they will offer me when my current contract ends in March 2022. It will be 30 years with Rogers then.

i was almost 35 years on Rogers standard digital cable when i left for Teksavvy TV back in summer of 2020.  A ~35year Rogers customer & not a single call/effort to retain me.  The rep was nice enough when I cancelled & just asked "why?" & that was it, I was gone.

Last edited by g121 (October 9, 2021 12:11 pm)

October 9, 2021 12:17 pm  #25

Likewise. Started with Rogers back in 1990. Left last year with virtually no attempt at customer retention from their staff.

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

October 9, 2021 1:39 pm  #26

I've been a Rogers cable customer for over 20 years now.  There are some offerings, but I was advised to wait until closer to the end of my current cable promotion before making any changes. A better offer might come up. (or not)