sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 17, 2021 10:44 am  #1

The 12 Most Unforgettable TV Moments of the 1960s

Not sure I agree with all these picks, but it's a fun read, and each one comes with an associated YouTube video - although while there's sadly no actual video of Johnny Carson's first Tonight Show, the audio of it has survived. 

The 12 Most Unforgettable TV Moments of the 1960s 

September 17, 2021 1:58 pm  #2

Re: The 12 Most Unforgettable TV Moments of the 1960s

I thought I read somewhere that Hockey Night in Canada pioneered instant replays. The linked article says it was CBS. Anybody know for sure?

September 17, 2021 5:26 pm  #3

Hamiltonboy wrote:

I thought I read somewhere that Hockey Night in Canada pioneered instant replays. The linked article says it was CBS. Anybody know for sure?

Apparently, HNIC producer George Retzlaff came up with a primitive system in 1955 using a hot processor to produce a wet film replay of a goal. I don't think instant replay became a regular thing on the Saturday night telecasts until around 1963ish. I remember watching games before replays were introduced. All you saw was the players congratulating the goal scorer, while slowly skating back to center ice.

September 17, 2021 5:32 pm  #4

I guess it depends on how you define "instant replay"...

Here is an article with some detail....  

http://instantreplaylivblackwellpassassignment.weebly.com/history.html

September 17, 2021 5:41 pm  #5

1967 AMPEX First Color Instant Replay and Slow-Motion

https://youtu.be/VDmur4rF_RE

September 17, 2021 6:04 pm  #6

CBC Toronto Operations had one of the AMPEX 100 slo-mo disc units. It was housed in a separate vehicle with a AMPEX VR-1200 2" machine....  The disc surface was very delicate on the AMPEX that when the truck was parked, it had to be stabilized with cribbing and out rigger type jacks.

Global also had an AMPEX HS-100 in Big Mo....  and it was one of the features that made Big Mo a popular rental production mobile with outside clients.

CHCH also had an AMPEX HS-100 in the Super Cruiser when it was designed/built for "Leafs Hockey" mid week games in the fall of '78.

Type "C" 1" VTRs w/ DT or Dynamic Tracking replaced the AMPEX disc starting in the late 70s and early 80s.  And Beta SP w/ DT replaced starting in the late 80s....

I feel really old....

September 18, 2021 4:08 pm  #7

Glen Warren wrote:

CBC Toronto Operations had one of the AMPEX 100 slo-mo disc units. It was housed in a separate vehicle with a AMPEX VR-1200 2" machine....  The disc surface was very delicate on the AMPEX that when the truck was parked, it had to be stabilized with cribbing and out rigger type jacks.

Global also had an AMPEX HS-100 in Big Mo....  and it was one of the features that made Big Mo a popular rental production mobile with outside clients.

CHCH also had an AMPEX HS-100 in the Super Cruiser when it was designed/built for "Leafs Hockey" mid week games in the fall of '78.

Type "C" 1" VTRs w/ DT or Dynamic Tracking replaced the AMPEX disc starting in the late 70s and early 80s.  And Beta SP w/ DT replaced starting in the late 80s....

I feel really old....

I think it's cool you've worked with broadcast technology before those killjoy computers took a lot of the fun and art out of the radio and television business.

re: feeling old ... I read on Twitter the other day "grey pride" is gaining traction referring to older people.

I don't think they realize it's an kind of a pun. Don't know if I like it or loathe it.

Last edited by betaylored (September 18, 2021 4:09 pm)