sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 9, 2021 1:48 pm  #1

It's Finally Happened: Online Station Only Plays Songs About Radio

I've long been a fan of AccuRadio, a free service that offers hundreds of music channels grouped by interest. There's Oldies, featuring greatest hits from all eras or you can hone in on the decade of your choice. There's all hip hop, all rap, all country, entire bluegrass channels, classical and just about anything else you can think of. And it offers unlimited free skips of any song you don't like.

But now they've added yet another new channel - a station dedicated to songs about radio itself. Among those I heard during a brief visit: Don't Call Us by Sugarloaf, Song on the Radio by Al Stewart, Overnight Sensation (Hit Record) from The Raspberries, Bruce Springsteen's Radio Nowhere and - of course - The Spirit of Radio by Rush.

I didn't listen for that long, but it seems incredible to me there are enough songs to fill this category, and of necessity, it covers a lot of very different genres. But the fact it exists at all seems pretty remarkable. 

Radio Radio Channel On AccuRadio

September 9, 2021 2:14 pm  #2

Re: It's Finally Happened: Online Station Only Plays Songs About Radio

Plus also, sign in and you can give 1-5 stars to the song you're currently hearing. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 10, 2021 9:13 am  #3

In the Beautiful Music section, there is something called "Thanks For Holding". Presumably the mindless elevator music pablum that plays between "You're call is important to us..." and I was correct. I heard You've Got a Friend by the oh so popular Kevin Hayes Trio followed by Ferrante & Teicher's version of Theme from The Apartment.

September 10, 2021 9:20 am  #4

mace wrote:

In the Beautiful Music section, there is something called "Thanks For Holding". Presumably the mindless elevator music pablum that plays between "You're call is important to us..." and I was correct. I heard You've Got a Friend by the oh so popular Kevin Hayes Trio followed by Ferrante & Teicher's version of Theme from The Apartment.

The beautiful music is wonderful, except every so often I would like to hear something and say to mysefl "Hey? I know the words to that song!".  Now THAT'S beautiful music.

Boy do I ever miss CKQT "Always quiet and beautiful..."  
(later changed to "Easy favourites" but still a great station) 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 10, 2021 10:54 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

But now they've added yet another new channel - a station dedicated to songs about radio itself. Among those I heard during a brief visit: Don't Call Us by Sugarloaf, Song on the Radio by Al Stewart, Overnight Sensation (Hit Record) from The Raspberries, Bruce Springsteen's Radio Nowhere and - of course - The Spirit of Radio by Rush.

Radio Radio Channel On AccuRadio

It's like paying tribute to the cuckold while bedding his wife.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.