sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 19, 2021 11:26 am  #1

The CBC As PBS? The Corp. Becomes An Election Issue

As many here know, this is not a political site and I don't want to turn it into one. But it's hard to ignore this. 

There’s been a ton of verbiage spewing from all the politicians during this short (although feels longer) election campaign, but I couldn’t help notice two very odd pronouncements that centre on broadcasting – a topic that doesn’t always come up during a federal vote.

The first one is the Conservative policy on the future of the CBC, a traditional Tory target. I looked up the party’s platform online and in basic terms, the highlights are these: if they win, the Conservatives would leave CBC Radio and CBC North alone.

But they would change CBC-TV, its news network and its online news presence to follow a more PBS-like model. Would that mean a Canadian version of Goldie Gardner begging you to give them donations in the middle of "Heartland?" Hard to say, but here’s what the document says:

“Review the mandate of CBC English Television, CBC News Network and CBC English online news to assess the viability of refocusing the service on a public interest model like that of PBS in the United States, ensuring that it no longer competes with private Canadian broadcasters and digital providers.”

Hmm. I wonder how that will go over in the industry. I’m sure it won’t be very popular at the CBC, which has to make you wonder if it will be able to report on the race with an unbiased eye.

Speaking of which, I don’t subscribe to Blacklock’s Reporter, an online news site that costs $400 a year, but it regularly digs up some fascinating and exclusive stories about what’s really going on behind closed doors in Ottawa, leaving no party without scrutiny. The article is locked (or is that Blacklocked?) But they did make this headline available on the site Thursday, which given the above, may certainly raise eyebrows.

“Facebook Canada yesterday named the CBC as an election campaign fact checker. The Crown broadcaster’s French-language service Radio Canada will monitor other media’s news stories to ensure accuracy, though the network has acknowledged multiple errors in its own news coverage: “We are committed to doing our part.” "

You have to wonder if an entity under attack by one party would be able to accurately cover it, especially given years of animosity between the two. I hope they can do this job without bias. For better or worse (and I would argue the latter) Facebook has become a de facto go-to news source for many.

Can the CBC be an objective "fact checker" given the O’Toole party’s ultimate plans? It will be fascinating to see how this turns out. 

Talk about strange bedfellows.  

Does anyone here think the CBC would be better as a PBS-like organization? Given its mandate, I can't imagine how it would even work. 

August 19, 2021 2:14 pm  #2

Re: The CBC As PBS? The Corp. Becomes An Election Issue

As much as people like to rag on the CBC the fact is they are a major producer - and a major purchaser of the output of Canadian production companies as well as a major employer of Canadian talent. It would be a real blow for the production industry if CBC TV either disappeared or their budget (and ability to commission/purchase films and TV series) were curtailed. Bell/CTV, Rogers and Global/Corus just aren't sufficient to pick up the slack, particularly given their preference for purchasing American programming. 

I suppose it would be different if you balanced out a curtailing of the CBC with ramping up CanCon on the private channels to 80% or something (including in prime time) but then the very same private interests that get mileage out of attacking the CBC would scream bloody murder about actually being required to spend most of their revenue producing Canadian programming. 

Last edited by Hansa (August 19, 2021 2:16 pm)

August 19, 2021 2:42 pm  #3

Generally speaking, I am a supporter of the CBC.  It is one of the things that differentiates us from the USA and as noted by Hansa, they promote Canadian production.

Politically speaking (but not necessarily supporting), it is a smart move by the Conservatives.  Move CBC to a model wherein they must ask for public support (a la PBS) and if they can't sustain themselves, they close down and the Conservatives get to say "it wasn't us".

August 19, 2021 2:54 pm  #4

In Phase wrote:

..and if they can't sustain themselves, they close down and the Conservatives get to say "it wasn't us".

This would align comfortably with the conservative ethos of selling Canada off for parts.

August 19, 2021 3:27 pm  #5

Again, the conservatives are wasting their time with the whole defunding the CBC thing.  They are only talking about the English TV network and the news website which probably makes money.  This is only to satisfy the hard right in the party who have never liked CBC, and don't like the idea of a "state" broadcaster.   To the average Canadian voter this is not an important issue or topic.  This is not something that is going to win the election for the tories. The actual savings if all funding for CBC TV was cut off would be about $6-700 million.  

The whole thing about CBC competing with the private broadcasters and digital providers is kind of laughable.  How does CBC compete with private broadcasters?  They don't bid on any, or carry US programming.  The program schedule on CBC English TV is decidedly less mainstream and mass appeal than the private networks, so they shouldn't be a big threat in terms of ratings. Bell Media, Rogers and Corus have more billions of dollars at their disposal than CBC ever had.

Let's look at Bell Media with their 107 commercial  radio stations, three OTA networks with 35 TV stations, 36 pay and specialty channels, 6 Pay for View channels, Astral out of home advertising, controlling interest in Pinewood Studios, investments in sports teams etc.  Rogers and Bell are two of the biggest cable providers in the country with tens of millions of subscribers, who bring in hundreds of millions every month, and this isn't even counting the ad revenue.     

One reason that Post Media goes on endlessly about CBC is because they hate that the CBC's website outdraws the National Post's by a big margin.  The CBC has this "huge" unfair advantage over them they say, and this would be the reason why CBC.ca has so much more traffic, and therefore so much more ad revenue.  Post Media doesn't often bring up that their company owns more than 120 different brands, more big city daily papers than any other newspaper group, many small city/town newspapers and specialty publications that all have websites with advertising.

In my opinion. I think the public and media in Canada are both better served with the mix of a public broadcaster like CBC and private conglomerates such as Bell, Rogers and Corus. This in itself will give a more balance perspective.   But I do agree that the big 3 private companies should be pressed harder to make more domestic product with a mind of selling these shows worldwide.

The thing is, many of our most successful exported shows have been Canadian themed or at the least understood that this was a Canadian program, Schitt's Creek, SCTV, Flashpoint, Rookie Blue, Burden of Truth, Transplant, Letterkenny, Private Eyes, Heartland, Murdoch Mysteries, Corner Gas, Cardinal...etc.
Not every single production needs to have a Canadian theme or story but it is interesting that worldwide many of our most successful programs right now seem to be.          

August 19, 2021 5:02 pm  #6

Speaking of CBC, I accidentally stumbled on their fall schedule page for Sept. 2021. It lists a show at 6 AM called "Radio on TV." Does this mean a simulcast of the Radio 1 crew for an hour on the tube as filler? I can't seem to locate any exact details on what it means or if it would be the Toronto crew but I wonder if that's what they're planning. 

August 19, 2021 5:08 pm  #7

One more thing about the CBC - they're the official Canadian broadcaster for the Beijing Olympics and they already have a site put up to attract advertisers. My question - what happens if Canada winds up boycotting the games in protest over the Communist government and the detention of the two Michaels? Does CBC still show the Games? And if not, how much will that cost taxpayers?

August 19, 2021 8:12 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

Speaking of CBC, I accidentally stumbled on their fall schedule page for Sept. 2021. It lists a show at 6 AM called "Radio on TV." Does this mean a simulcast of the Radio 1 crew for an hour on the tube as filler? I can't seem to locate any exact details on what it means or if it would be the Toronto crew but I wonder if that's what they're planning. 

That's probably the morning Radio One simulcast in each market. Every CBC TV station simulcasts its sister Radio One station for an hour at 6 AM local time. Highly unlikely CBC would re-broadcast Toronto's Radio One in that timeslot, as CBC counts that hour towards their local programming requirements.

August 19, 2021 8:47 pm  #9

I was also going to mention that it is a bit premature to say the CBC has become an election issue.  Has anyone brought up the topic yet with O'Toole, or has he or any candidate spoken on this?  Has the news reported anything yet?  So if not,  how can this be an election issue?  And just because defunding or cutting back on CBC English services is in the party platform, does not mean it would happen anyway.  It is a bit of red meat for the CBC haters in the party and the minority of the population that will never like or watch CBC. But if the candidates and leader are not talking about it, can't be much of a priority.  I hope it does come up during the campaign and Mr. O'Toole can flesh out the answer and explain why this is important to Canadians and how it would work. 

The Toronto Sun and Post media no doubt will try and make this a big deal, just like they have every other federal campaign.  In reality they editorialize about getting rid of the CBC all the time.   They have been trying to get an anti CBC bandwagon going for years, and often with questionable and not always accurate information.  In addition to CBC, I guess it is only fair to question how unbiased this company is as well. 

The radio on TV has been on for years.  This is the first hour of Metro Morning from 6am to 7.  Likely in other provinces they show the first hour from Radio 1 in Calgary, Vancouver, Halifax etc.

Since countries including Canada have pulled participation in the Olympics before, there may be a clause or stipulation in the contract regarding the coverage for official broadcasters from those countries.  I guess technically CBC could still cover the games if Canada wasn't participating, although that would be very unlikely and not a good move.  I would think it is kind of doubtful that Canada would boycott the winter games alone.  Other countries have citizens in detention in China as well, or have major grievances with the country.  So if others agree to take part, the chances of Canada not going to Beijing would  become more probable. 

August 19, 2021 8:56 pm  #10

August 19, 2021 9:53 pm  #11

Facebook using CBC as a fact checker for the election doesn't really have anything to do with the conservative election platform, or making CBC more like PBS.  Are you now saying getting rid of or defunding CBC is not an election issue?  The election issue is in fact facebook using CBC/RC as a fact checker?  Not really sure what you are getting at here...

August 19, 2021 11:41 pm  #12

Not saying anything in particular. Just offering the article, which unlike the aforementioned Blacklock's, is not behind a paywall, as a point of interest. It's certain to upset die-hard Conservatives, who already believe the CBC (and Facebook) are biased against them. This won't do much to change their minds. 

As for it being an election issue, perhaps you've never written headlines, which are designed to attract the reader's curiosity and interest. I've composed thousands of them over the years and you clicked on this story, so it obviously intrigued you, which means it did its job.

The CBC/PBS plan is part of the Conservatives' announced platform. Though it may not be the most important thing they're unveiled, that in itself makes it a potential election issue by default. And since it's really the only one any of the parties I checked on that deals with broadcasting - the point of this board - it seemed legit to mention it as a topic of potential significance to SOWNY readers. No hidden agenda. It's really that simple. Broadcasters generally cover election campaigns. They rarely become part of one. That's what made it interesting to me and I believe you're reading way too much into the point of the post.

As Sigmund Freud supposedly noted, "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."

That said, I don't expect it will ever come to pass. But it's certainly a controversial proposal worth noting here. 

August 20, 2021 4:29 am  #13

This Federal Conservative fact should ALSO be noted:

•End Trudeau’s $600 million media bailout. While we support Canadian media outlets, they should not be directly receiving tax dollars. Government funding of “approved” media undermines press freedom, a vital part of a free society.• 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

August 20, 2021 7:01 am  #14

In a bizarre twist, this just got more contentious, with parties criticizing Facebook for reducing political content at the time some Canadians feel it's needed most. And ironically, this article comes from the CBC - the very entity the social media giant has chosen to fact check political content! 

Facebook draws fire over plan to reduce political content

August 20, 2021 8:30 am  #15

RadioActive wrote:

As the Admin of the Oldies Music Board, I often post news items there that I think may be of interest to others there. I do tend to avoid anything that is in some way political, because I don't want anyone thinking that I have any kind of political agenda -- especially given some unpleasant political arguments that I saw break out on the predecessor to this board. But the nature of the SOWNY forum is different, and sometimes items that have a political aspect are very relevant here. The bottom line is that I see where you're coming in posting items like this, and I think it's good for the forum that you do so. 

August 20, 2021 9:15 am  #16

Lorne wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

As the Admin of the Oldies Music Board, I often post news items there that I think may be of interest to others there. I do tend to avoid anything that is in some way political, because I don't want anyone thinking that I have any kind of political agenda -- especially given some unpleasant political arguments that I saw break out on the predecessor to this board. But the nature of the SOWNY forum is different, and sometimes items that have a political aspect are very relevant here. The bottom line is that I see where you're coming in posting items like this, and I think it's good for the forum that you do so. 

Thanks for your support, Lorne. You probably know more than anyone how something you think is simple can cause an explosion of controversy on a message board. But it happens. And you're right. Because broadcasting is regulated federally, sometimes politics inevitably gets into the mix, as much as I often hate bringing it up.

But then even the Oldies Board is not always exempt - I remember a thread about Van Morrison and his anti-vax stance and another about Eric Clapton that generated some raised eyebrows. Sadly, politics is too often everywhere, especially in these polarized times. 

I miss the days when there were differences of opinion, but in the end, everyone was working together to make the country better overall. Sadly, social media, among other things, has helped destroy that! I can't wait for Sept. 21st, when the election rhetoric is finally over. 

August 20, 2021 9:36 am  #17

RadioActive wrote:

Not saying anything in particular. Just offering the article, which unlike the aforementioned Blacklock's, is not behind a paywall, as a point of interest. It's certain to upset die-hard Conservatives, who already believe the CBC (and Facebook) are biased against them. This won't do much to change their minds. 

As for it being an election issue, perhaps you've never written headlines, which are designed to attract the reader's curiosity and interest. I've composed thousands of them over the years and you clicked on this story, so it obviously intrigued you, which means it did its job.

The CBC/PBS plan is part of the Conservatives' announced platform. Though it may not be the most important thing they're unveiled, that in itself makes it a potential election issue by default. And since it's really the only one any of the parties I checked on that deals with broadcasting - the point of this board - it seemed legit to mention it as a topic of potential significance to SOWNY readers. No hidden agenda. It's really that simple. Broadcasters generally cover election campaigns. They rarely become part of one. That's what made it interesting to me and I believe you're reading way too much into the point of the post.

That said, I don't expect it will ever come to pass. But it's certainly a controversial proposal worth noting here. 

True that headlines are written to attract interest and curiosity, but they also should be accurate and not misleading.  We all have seen headlines on this site and in other media that didn't have a lot to do with the story that followed or terribly exaggerated what the story was actually about. 

Interesting that the Post/Sun Media seem to be trying to make an issue out of facebook supposedly using CBC as a fact checker.  I don't see this coming up on other mainstream media.  Are we sure it is CBC that is the fact checker and not just Radio-Canada?  The release from facebook only mentions Radio- Canada as the new partner, with no reference to CBC.  

Facebook deciding to have less political coverage and the CBC reporting this is not really related.  As we know facebook has not done a very good job covering politics here and in many countries.  They have been criticized from all sides with lack of vetting, a lot disinformation and inaccurate stories getting on and staying on their platform.  This is why they have decided to bring in third party fact checkers.  But ultimately it is still up to facebook and not the fact checkers what does and doesn't stay on their service, and how many political stories they will carry.

August 20, 2021 9:36 am  #18

Speaking of politics and controversy, you may remember two years ago when the Government announced it was giving multi-million dollars to broadcasters, newspapers and the media hard hit by COVID, to help keep them afloat. It raised a lot of eyebrows here, with some arguing it was needed in an emergency while others insisted they would never be able to trust the coverage from those outlets that took the government handouts. 

Fast forward to this month. It's been revealed (but didn't get much publicity) that the feds handed out an eye-popping $60 million in additional aid to media companies. Regardless of whether you think this is a good idea, here's the problem - they adamantly refuse to reveal who got that money. 

It's taxpayer funds, paid for by all of us. At the very least, we should know where those big bucks went. But they refuse to say. And I would be against this if it were the Liberals, Conservatives, NDP, Greens or Communist Party in charge. The public has the right to know who got our dough! Instead, it's just the Sounds of Silence. And it's pretty outrageous you may never know where all that money went. (And by the way, shame on those same media outlets for not coming clean on this. It's the one story they refuse to cover.  No wonder trust in media has fallen exponentially.)

Liberals won't reveal names of media companies given $61 million in subsidies

August 20, 2021 10:07 am  #19

RadioActive wrote:

Thanks for your support, Lorne. You probably know more than anyone how something you think is simple can cause an explosion of controversy on a message board. But it happens. And you're right. Because broadcasting is regulated federally, sometimes politics inevitably gets into the mix, as much as I often hate bringing it up.

But then even the Oldies Board is not always exempt - I remember a thread about Van Morrison and his anti-vax stance and another about Eric Clapton that generated some raised eyebrows. Sadly, politics is too often everywhere, especially in these polarized times. 

I miss the days when there were differences of opinion, but in the end, everyone was working together to make the country better overall. Sadly, social media, among other things, has helped destroy that! I can't wait for Sept. 21st, when the election rhetoric is finally over. 

Re the Oldies Board, I thought about mentioning that I am fine with others starting threads that have a political aspect as long as they're relevant to the board ... and then I am willing to weigh in, as I did in both of the threads that you mention. In the second case I did post an article, but in that case it was a Reuters item that I figured provided some neutral info about the situation.
And there may sometimes be a bit of a political aspect to an article I post as well, as long as I don't think it will get people thinking that I'm posting it because I have some sort of political agenda -- or alternatively, that an artist's political views might provoke an overly negative response from someone that could then lead to further negativity in response. It's an ongoing judgement call on my part, and it's largely based on what I saw from certain regulars on the previous board. In both cases that you cite, people discussed the issues in a responsible way and without criticizing each other for what they posted -- which is perfectly fine. It was actually good for me to see that people could do this, and that I could make comments myself without anyone questioning my motivation, political leanings, etc.

August 20, 2021 12:41 pm  #20

Lorne wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

👍👍

September 3, 2021 7:11 am  #21

September 3, 2021 10:55 am  #22

Interesting article.  It looks like some of the best years for CBC were actually with Mulroney in terms of funding, however his government did later bring in some cuts.  Under his government the CBC's new Toronto facilities on Front St. were built, which was in addition to the funding. 

Also the writer confirms what a deal CBC/Radio Canada is when compared to other pubic broadcasters around the world. The average of 20 other public broadcasters per citizen is $88 and for CBC/RC $33.

CBC does sell commercial time on their main TV networks unlike most public broadcasters.  However others like BBC do sell advertising on some of their cable channels like BBC World.  2019/20 advertising should be $253 million, and not $253,752 as shown in the article, this figure includes program sales.

So far CBC funding or it's existence hasn't become a campaign issue since none of the candidates  have brought up anything about CBC as yet. I haven't even heard any reporter bring up the subject with any party yet.   CBC funding may surface in the upcoming English debate though.

Interesting that the conservatives so far are making it sound like their platform is more of a review of CBC and it's operations.  They never used the world defunding or actually said anything about less taxpayer money, unlike last time. Scheer had a five year plan to diminish the English network, news channel and on line. 
Other than the small minority of Canadians who don't like CBC, this is not something that will win an election for your party. 

September 3, 2021 11:49 am  #23

Commercial broadcasters' main complaint with the CBC these days is that they sell ads on their website. According to their reasoning (and you may agree or disagree) they're siphoning off commercials that could be going to private radio and TV stations that don't get a ton of government money to help subsidize them. 

It's an understandable gripe and it's one of the divisions between the for-profits and the CBC. Their logic: if you're getting funded by the public, why do you need to take other money away from those who don't? 

By the way, this is the one time of year you may actually hear ads on CBC Radio. Under the law, they're required to accept and air political ads during the election period. Wonder how many Erin O'Toole spots are airing there?

September 3, 2021 12:52 pm  #24

Critics of the CBC want it both to not rely on public funding and to not compete with commerical entities? You can't suck and blow at the same time. CBC gets a fraction of the funding that public broadcasters do in European countries - and PBS - the model the Tories are now championing- relies heavily on corporate sponsorships even if they aren't in the form of ads. If you don't want the CBC to chase advertising dollars then fund it properly. It's that simple. 

September 3, 2021 2:07 pm  #25

Good points Hansa and RA.  CBC's websites are pretty much self sufficient as is CBC News Network.  Yes they have the resources of CBC TV and radio which would be there anyway.  But the actual day to day operation is paid for by advertising and for CBCNN ads and cable fees, not the taxpayer. 

The groups that complain the most and loudest about CBC would be Post/Sun Media and Quebecor, who don't like the idea of CBC.ca taking revenue out of the marketplace. And it galls them that CBC.ca has much higher traffic/audience than their websites. Would CBC.ca ad revenue go to the private sites?  Maybe, this wouldn't necessarily be a windfall or slam dunk for them, since they don't have the numbers of CBC.ca. 

From July 2021 top 50 website rankings in Canada from Similarweb for all categories had CBC.ca at 15th, CTV.ca at 18th, MSN #27, CNN #38 and BBC #46.  These were the only news sites in the top 50 in Canada.

I agree with Hansa, critics of CBC can't suck and blow at the same time. On one hand the anti CBC folks say that nobody watches the TV network so get rid of it, and then on the other complain about CBC.ca because it is popular and it hurts the private websites.  I thought all of these free enterprise folks loved competition?  At least CTV.ca seems to have got the message. Their website has vastly improved in the last year. Wonder if the competition from CBC.ca had anything to do with that?  And CTV.ca is closing in on CBC.ca in traffic numbers. 

Finally, all of the parties would be smart to spend a bit of money advertising on CBC radio...they have the ratings and the right demographics.  

September 4, 2021 9:18 pm  #26

Another opinion on this from a former CBC executive, who notes the Liberals have different plans for CBC advertising - a far cry from the more draconian version suggested by the Conservatives. 

"...the Liberal platform promises $400 million over four years to CBC/Radio-Canada "so that it is less reliant on private advertising with a goal of eliminating advertising during news and other public affairs shows".

For broadcasters, a great deal is riding on the outcome of the Canadian election

September 6, 2021 10:42 am  #27

RadioActive wrote:

Speaking of politics and controversy, you may remember two years ago when the Government announced it was giving multi-million dollars to broadcasters, newspapers and the media hard hit by COVID, to help keep them afloat. It raised a lot of eyebrows here, with some arguing it was needed in an emergency while others insisted they would never be able to trust the coverage from those outlets that took the government handouts. 

Fast forward to this month. It's been revealed (but didn't get much publicity) that the feds handed out an eye-popping $60 million in additional aid to media companies. Regardless of whether you think this is a good idea, here's the problem - they adamantly refuse to reveal who got that money. 

It's taxpayer funds, paid for by all of us. At the very least, we should know where those big bucks went. But they refuse to say. And I would be against this if it were the Liberals, Conservatives, NDP, Greens or Communist Party in charge. The public has the right to know who got our dough! Instead, it's just the Sounds of Silence. And it's pretty outrageous you may never know where all that money went. (And by the way, shame on those same media outlets for not coming clean on this. It's the one story they refuse to cover.  No wonder trust in media has fallen exponentially.)

Liberals won't reveal names of media companies given $61 million in subsidies

Some might proffer that the CBC got the largess...(just stirring it up with my bias)

Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs... 
~ John McClane

September 6, 2021 11:29 am  #28

I was just on the CTV news site and noticed a feature on five things to know about the PPC- People's Party of Canada, which is headed up by Maxime Bernier.  Something they definitely will do is get rid of the CBC.  Not just the English network but the whole thing.  The CBC is just one of many, many things they would cut or defund in their first mandate.   

September 6, 2021 4:16 pm  #29

echomaster wrote:

Some might proffer that the CBC got the largess...(just stirring it up with my bias)

And those who profferer that would be wrong. The CBC wasn't eligible for that funding.