sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 2, 2021 12:20 pm  #1

680 News to become CITY News on October 18

Does this seem like a good idea, given how well known the 680 News brand is? Or does it matter, as CITY News is quite well known too?

https://broadcastdialogue.com/rogers-news-radio-stations-announce-citynews-rebrand-date/

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

September 2, 2021 12:37 pm  #2

Re: 680 News to become CITY News on October 18

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 2, 2021 1:12 pm  #3

Dale Patterson wrote:

Does this seem like a good idea, given how well known the 680 News brand is? Or does it matter, as CITY News is quite well known too?

https://broadcastdialogue.com/rogers-news-radio-stations-announce-citynews-rebrand-date/

They had the same debate when CityPulse became CityNews a few decades ago. I was never quite sure why they did this, because the Pulse branding was so strong, I still hear people referring to it to this day. (And Mark Dailey's famous "CityPulse...Everywhere!" phrase practically entered the lexicon in Toronto.) But for whatever reason they made the move and have been CityNews ever since. I'm guessing CityNews is clearer than the Pulse moniker. 

September 2, 2021 1:40 pm  #4

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

September 2, 2021 2:53 pm  #5

And when they launch the rebrand CITY should again should use  "Hello, I'm Simon Cowell and this is not a test"

September 2, 2021 3:21 pm  #6

Dumb.  I'll still call it "680"

September 2, 2021 3:24 pm  #7

markow202 wrote:

Me too!

September 2, 2021 3:40 pm  #8

markow202 wrote:

Okay, just don't say "CFTR". lol
They do address the calls as "680 news is CFTR" but you get what I mean. It's not all hit radio. lol

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 2, 2021 4:46 pm  #9

Anybody calling it all hit radio is showing their age. It's been 28 years since the switch.

September 2, 2021 4:53 pm  #10

September 2, 2021 4:56 pm  #11

RadioActive wrote:

Dale Patterson wrote:

They had the same debate when CityPulse became CityNews a few decades ago. I was never quite sure why they did this, because the Pulse branding was so strong, I still hear people referring to it to this day. (And Mark Dailey's famous "CityPulse...Everywhere!" phrase practically entered the lexicon in Toronto.) But for whatever reason they made the move and have been CityNews ever since. I'm guessing CityNews is clearer than the Pulse moniker. 

CityPulse became CityNews after CHUM jettisoned Moses and bought the Craig stations. Someone decided that CityPulse, despite being a well-established brand meant nothing outside Toronto. The beginning of the blandification of City.

September 2, 2021 6:30 pm  #12

Ida Spencer wrote:

Anybody calling it all hit radio is showing their age. It's been 28 years since the switch.

*chuckles* kind of like fondly remembering John Badham doing play-by-play for the Argos : )) ..

September 2, 2021 7:11 pm  #13

g121 wrote:

Ida Spencer wrote:

*chuckles* kind of like fondly remembering John Badham doing play-by-play for the Argos : )) ..

Well, since you went there...

September 2, 2021 10:37 pm  #14

Will there be any change in the programming?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

September 3, 2021 11:28 am  #15

RadioActive wrote:

g121 wrote:

Ida Spencer wrote:

Well, since you went there...

Despite the exciting promotional advertisements. the Argos finished dead last in the CFL East at 3-11 in 1972. Even worse their arch rival [11-3] Hamilton Tiger Cats defeated Sakatchewan 13-10 in the Grey Cup game.