sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 31, 2021 11:25 pm  #1

Where's BOUNCE TV Buffalo going?

Where's Bounce bouncing to now on the Buffalo tv dial.

I remember them on a subcarrier of channel 4 at one time, currently on subcarrier of 23.

I like retro tv, but I'm in Hamilton and get a fair fill on CHCH.

I'm hoping not to lose Bounce, as it has programming that isn't anywhere else (not even on cable). Sort of sad, really.

So, what's next? Anyone know?

Last edited by DOPEfm (August 31, 2021 11:26 pm)

September 1, 2021 12:21 am  #2

Re: Where's BOUNCE TV Buffalo going?

DOPEfm wrote:

Where's Bounce bouncing to now on the Buffalo tv dial.

I remember them on a subcarrier of channel 4 at one time, currently on subcarrier of 23.

I like retro tv, but I'm in Hamilton and get a fair fill on CHCH.

I'm hoping not to lose Bounce, as it has programming that isn't anywhere else (not even on cable). Sort of sad, really.

So, what's next? Anyone know?

This Bounce TV?  https://www.bouncetv.com/bounce-tv-launches-free-mobile/  

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 1, 2021 6:36 am  #3

I'm willing to bet this won't work in Canada due to digital rights. Do VPNs work on cell phones?

September 1, 2021 7:01 am  #4

RadioActive wrote:

I'm willing to bet this won't work in Canada due to digital rights. Do VPNs work on cell phones?

They do work. I have the Nord app on my Samsung S21.

September 1, 2021 7:12 am  #5

That's likely the only way the Bounce app will work here. 

September 1, 2021 11:02 am  #6

It's brutal when you can receive a signal OTA but can't access an app because of geography.

So, I can assume (by the responses) that Bounce won't be on another subcarrier (in Buffalo)?

September 1, 2021 11:13 am  #7

DOPEfm wrote:

It's brutal when you can receive a signal OTA but can't access an app because of geography.

So, I can assume (by the responses) that Bounce won't be on another subcarrier (in Buffalo)?

Nothing announced yet. And remember, getting the signal here is just a freak of geography. They don't factor Canada into their decisions or programming, perhaps with the exception of WNED - which depends on Canadian viewer donations. (Taken at par, no less!)

There was a time when Buffalo TV stations (and to be fair, Bounce is a network not a local outlet) courted Canuck business. But changes to tax laws in the 70s and an overall decline in the number of people watching over-the-air channels put a stop to that, after Canadian broadcasters complained about sponsors being siphoned off by stations like WUTV. In essence, they don't care about eyeballs north of the border. 

Bounce is owned by Scripps, which also controls Channel 7. So if it's going to reappear, that may be your best bet. But with four subcarriers already on the WKBW signal, is there room for one more?

September 1, 2021 11:33 am  #8

Thanks for that info and insight RadioActive.

September 1, 2021 2:09 pm  #9

Bounce TV  is now on WKBW 7.2 WNLO 23.2 is now Rewind TV

September 1, 2021 2:43 pm  #10

Scripps to the rescue! This addition seems to have precipitated a number of subcarrier changes across the dial.

It appears Laff TV has been, you should pardon the expression, Bounced. However, it's on ION TV's 51.4.

Court TV's case has been dismissed from WIVB's 4.2, where QVC - a home shopping network - is now on sale.

But Court is still in session on ION's Channel 51.2.

One other thing worth mentioning, although I'm pretty sure it's only temporary. The subcarriers on WUTV's 29.2 & 29.3 are still there but have had a frozen picture and no sound on the screen for about half an hour since I last checked them. Not sure how long it's been going on or how long it will stay that way. Same on Channel 49's Stadium channel (49.2) and The Comet Sci-Fi channel (49.3.)  And that relatively new TWIST Channel on WGRZ's 2.5 sub is just showing a black screen, although all the other stations, including Antenna TV, are fine.

What a weird afternoon for channel surfers!

[Edit] Seconds after posting this, the Channel 49 stations came back, but the ones on 29 remain frozen.

Last edited by RadioActive (September 1, 2021 2:45 pm)

September 1, 2021 3:18 pm  #11

I need my SG-1!!!!

September 1, 2021 9:13 pm  #12

Just noticed that Grit, the western channel, is dual illuminated - on Channel 7.4 and Channel 51.3. Seems like a waste of a subcarrier, but perhaps it will change.