sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 31, 2021 8:28 pm  #1

Why The Country's Public Broadcaster Is Biased Against The Right

'The country's public broadcaster is totally biased against the right wing in the country and hates all things to do with the Conservative party.'

'It gets way too much in taxpayer funds.'

'And we should find a way to either defund it or lower the amount is gets, so it will have to go to its dwindling viewers to get the funds it needs, as a younger audience turns to social media and other outlets for their news.'

Sounds like a typical right-wing rant against the CBC, right? Surprise! Those are the conclusions from an article about the BBC, penned by a longtime former employee. 

I'm not taking sides in this one, but I will say it's amazing to see the exact same arguments aimed at Canada's national broadcaster echoed in one from across the pond.

I'm not posting this to start an argument or a debate. I just thought it was interesting that the exact same kind of criticism aimed at the CBC is going on over in England, too. So much so that at the beginning of this post, you likely immediately thought I was referring to the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation.  But I guess it makes sense - after all, the CBC was founded on the BBC model! 

Agree or disagree, this is a fascinating read in that context.

When BBC scraps licence fee it'll be forced to end bias

August 31, 2021 8:39 pm  #2

Re: Why The Country's Public Broadcaster Is Biased Against The Right

You are correct, RA. As soon as I began reading your post, I immediately thought another bash the CBC article.

August 31, 2021 8:56 pm  #3

I have to admit I never realized that not paying a TV licence fee, as they have had over there for decades, is punishable by prison! What? Can you imagine someone going to jail over not funding the CBC? 

"What are you in for?"

"Murder."

"And you?"

"I had a drug problem and robbed a bank."

"And you in the corner, what's your beef?"

"I didn't pay my CBC taxes!"

It almost sounds like something from a CBC comedy sketch. I've always been really glad they never copied that licence tax here. I much prefer not seeing where that money goes and that it's just assigned there. A TV licence tax would gall me, especially since I almost never watch the CBC. 

August 31, 2021 9:50 pm  #4

Gee RA, for a guy who doesn't like to get political, you sure bring politics up enough. In fact it is almost always you.  And you say that you didn't make this post to get an argument or debate started???  Oh, please...   

BBC and the Australian Broadcast Corporation (ABC) are always accused of left wing bias.  In fact I wouldn't be surprised if this is the norm for most public broadcast systems.  Yes the arguments are the same because the people who hate public broadcasters are more or less the same. 

Interesting how the Conservatives haven't yet brought up anything about CBC during the campaign.  Wonder why?   Could it be that defunding the CBC is a bit of a non issue for most Canadians?  In other words there are a lot more important things that Mr. O'Toole should be worried about.

CBC is a steal for the price of about $32 per Canadian per year.  ABC Australia is about $70 per citizen, and BBC's tax works out to about $272.33 per household, and they also charge businesses with computers or televisions.  And Germany??  You don't want to know how much taxpayers pay for their public broadcaster, but their budget is about ten times that of CBC/Radio Canada.

You don't watch or listen to CBC RA??  That's your problem, now pay up please!!   

Last edited by paterson1 (August 31, 2021 9:50 pm)

September 1, 2021 7:30 am  #5

Potato chips-check. Beer-check. Lazy Boy-check. It appears another RA/Patterson 1 discussion/disagreement is about to begin. I do enjoy them. [Not being sarcastic] I really do. Both members always state their case supported by facts. They usually end, agreeing to disagree.