sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 30, 2021 9:25 pm  #1

What's On Rewind TV When It Debuts On Channel 23.2 At 6 AM Monday?

It will be Labour Day but the folks at WNLO in Buffalo will be busy switching over to a brand-new network. Beginning at 6 AM Monday, the rerun heavy subcarrier Rewind TV replaces Bounce at 23.2.

So what can you expect? Here's the schedule for the network and what's on when at the beginning. It appears they'll be running two 30-minute episodes of each show back-to-back. Nothing outstanding, but at least it's another new channel to look at - and if you already get Bounce, you won't have to rescan.

August 31, 2021 6:51 am  #2

Re: What's On Rewind TV When It Debuts On Channel 23.2 At 6 AM Monday?

When still running in primetime, Dear John and Wings were appointment viewing for me.

August 31, 2021 11:09 am  #3

Half of these shows already aired on Laff and Antenna TV.   Redundant.  

August 31, 2021 11:13 am  #4

The retro line up on CHCH daytime has better shows and a more interesting line up in my opinion.  Don't think I would watch much on this schedule. 

August 31, 2021 11:40 am  #5

I tend to agree. But their website makes it clear that the focus is on shows from the 80s and 90s, so they're clearly appealing to a certain demo. I probably won't be a regular viewer, either, but it's always nice to have another signal in the mix. 

As for the similarity between Antenna TV and Rewind, it's no accident - both are owned by Nexstar (which also owns WIVB and WNLO) so it was a simple matter of transferring some shows from one network to the other, since they already have the rights to them and they fit the format.

August 31, 2021 1:03 pm  #6

paterson1 wrote:

The retro line up on CHCH daytime has better shows and a more interesting line up in my opinion.  Don't think I would watch much on this schedule. 

Closed circuit to CHCH: now may be the perfect time to bring back "Lou Grant." With the death of Ed Asner, it would be timely, and I'm not aware of any station showing it over the past few years. (A large number of episodes exist on YouTube, but the quality isn't the best.) I'm not sure about rights availability, but I'm sure the syndicators would want to sell it. 

It's notable that most of these rerun-only subcarrier stations from the U.S. tend to show half hour comedies and very few hour-long dramas. Perhaps a future station could be dedicated to the 60 min. shows only.

August 31, 2021 2:13 pm  #7

60 mins shows with only commercials from Jimmy JJ has been and Chuck Woolery spouting medicare and wall to wall car shield commercials.. LOL
Yes, I have an antenna!!  Dy No Mite!!!

August 31, 2021 9:14 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Closed circuit to CHCH: now may be the perfect time to bring back "Lou Grant." With the death of Ed Asner, it would be timely, and I'm not aware of any station showing it over the past few years. (A large number of episodes exist on YouTube, but the quality isn't the best.) I'm not sure about rights availability, but I'm sure the syndicators would want to sell it. 

It's notable that most of these rerun-only subcarrier stations from the U.S. tend to show half hour comedies and very few hour-long dramas. Perhaps a future station could be dedicated to the 60 min. shows only.

114 episodes of Lou Grant are available on the Uncle Earl's Classic TV Channel site.

August 31, 2021 9:17 pm  #9

Good to know. Haven't checked that site for a while. I'll take a look.

But I still think it would be a great addition to CHCH's daily line-up. Either that or some of the vintage YES TV dramas that that network runs.

August 31, 2021 9:24 pm  #10

I often wonder what happened to some of the co-stars on Lou Grant. Robert Walden and Linda Kelsey, the actors who played the two main reporters, were in almost every episode. Haven't really seen either of them since.

Same with Jack Bannon, Bea Benaderet's son. 

Daryl Anderson, who played the photographer "Animal," hasn't been in anything else I've ever seen. 

Only Ed Asner and Nancy Marchand went on to other well-known roles. And Mason Adams was a famous voice over artist, especially in commercials. 

The others all but disappeared after the show. Bannon, Marchand and Adams have since passed away. But Walden, Kelsey and Anderson are very much alive and out of the spotlight.