sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 28, 2021 9:42 pm  #1

A Radio Station To Keep In Mind Over The Weekend

I will never forget during the height of Hurricane Katrina's destruction 16 years ago tuning into radio stations from Louisiana online and discovering almost all of them - even those not owned by what is now Audacy - were airing the 50K clear channel powerhouse WWL-AM, the state's official emergency broadcaster.

It's back in the eye of yet another hurricane this weekend, and this one could be a Category 4, the second strongest of all such storms. Unfortunately, you need a VPN set to the U.S. to hear it, but if you're so equipped, the next 24-48 hours should sadly make for some fascinating listening. In times of disaster, there's nothing like local radio to fill in the blanks. 

I hope the folks at the Big 870 stay safe. They're likely going to have to have all hands-on deck. As of Saturday night, they were on air taking calls from motorists stuck in endless traffic jams trying to get out of town to escape what they're pretty sure is coming. Call it the panic before the storm. 

You can hear WWL with a VPN here

August 29, 2021 7:25 am  #2

Re: A Radio Station To Keep In Mind Over The Weekend

Another option is to watch storm coverage WWL Ch 4. As of 7 AM, Ida had sustained winds of 150 mph. That is 7 mph below a category 5. Several things were mentioned about food storage during power outages that could come in handy for us. If you keep bags of ice in your refrigerator, that will increase the cooling by several hours. Another clever trick is to place a frozen 12 oz cup of water with a quarter in your refrigerator. Once the quarter reaches the half way mark, dairy products are borderline safe. When the coin reaches the bottom of the cup, toss everything.

August 29, 2021 9:41 am  #3

WWL-TV Feed. 

(No VPN needed)

August 29, 2021 12:47 pm  #4

mace wrote:

Another option is to watch storm coverage WWL Ch 4. As of 7 AM, Ida had sustained winds of 150 mph. That is 7 mph below a category 5. Several things were mentioned about food storage during power outages that could come in handy for us. If you keep bags of ice in your refrigerator, that will increase the cooling by several hours. Another clever trick is to place a frozen 12 oz cup of water with a quarter in your refrigerator. Once the quarter reaches the half way mark, dairy products are borderline safe. When the coin reaches the bottom of the cup, toss everything.

I remember during Hurricane Katrina, WWL-TV managed to remain on the air continually throughout the entire event, and they even relocated their studio operations multiple times in order to remain on the air. At one point they were broadcasting from the PBS station in Baton Rouge.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (August 29, 2021 12:48 pm)

August 30, 2021 10:45 pm  #5

I found the NBC affiliate to be superior.  They had mayors on until the we hours of the morning as had called from people on roofs waiting to be rescued.

August 31, 2021 6:45 am  #6

Tomas Barlow wrote:

I found the NBC affiliate to be superior.  They had mayors on until the we hours of the morning as had called from people on roofs waiting to be rescued.

It never occured to me to check out the coverage on WDSU and WGNO.