sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 24, 2021 9:10 am  #1

Will Somebody Please Give CFRB's Robert Turner His Own Show?

I rarely write gushing posts about local on-air personalities, but I've come to believe CFRB is missing the boat when it comes to utilizing Robert Turner's talents. 

I've never been exactly sure just what his title is at NT1010, but he's very good at keeping a sometimes creaky John Moore morning show afloat, with clarifications and other updates (especially when Moore forgets ad tags, gives incorrect information or can't remember a fact, a name or a date.) On Tuesday, he and Moore got into a discussion about vaccinations and the election, among other things, then appeared on the second Roundtable of the morning. 

What I like best about him is that he seems non-partisan, essentially not taking any B.S. from politicians, regardless of which party they represent. It's way too easy to let these guys get away with their talking points. He rarely does.

A few weeks ago, he memorably took on Toronto city councillor Shelley Carroll, a Liberal, and councillor Michael Thompson, a Conservative, on the same Roundtable and he called both of them out on their endless politically correct B.S., so much so that they were both momentarily left speechless, an encounter so good they used it for a while on their morning news runs. I was cheering on the other side of the speaker. 

Maybe it's just me, but he seems to be able to argue both sides, while making common sense. He used to have a morning prep show at the ungodly hour of 5:30 AM, but lost that after the Bell bloodbath earlier this year. I find his approach to most issues - and his fearlessness - refreshing and I just wish he had a chance to do it more often.

Just one listener's opinion, but I think he deserves a shot at his own show if he wants it. I know I'd be tuning in.  

August 24, 2021 9:20 am  #2

Re: Will Somebody Please Give CFRB's Robert Turner His Own Show?

I really like John, I really like Robert.  They are a great combo that work extremely well together.  NT1010's morning show is heads & shoulders better than any other on the station.  

Don't mess with the Gold.

August 24, 2021 9:31 am  #3

I can't say I disagree with your overall assessment, but at some point, you've got to let the guy spread his wings. He could be their next star-in-waiting, which he'll never become if they don't give him a shot. But I get why you don't want him moved from his current post. I would definitely miss him on the morning shift, as well. And who knows if he even wants a slot of his own? 

August 24, 2021 10:47 pm  #4

Robert is an ace technical producer.  He also has a great collection of dolls.......er.... action figures.  An old joke between Robert and my self.  He's a good man.

August 25, 2021 6:26 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

...He used to have a morning prep show at the ungodly hour of 5:30 AM...

RA, I remember his old show as being 5:00 - 5:30 a.m., then John rolled in. Is my memory faulty? John now starts at 5:00. They could give that timeslot back to Robert.

I couldn't imagine that John would refuse that extra 1/2 hour in bed.

Last edited by Dial Twister (August 25, 2021 6:27 pm)

August 25, 2021 6:50 pm  #6

Actually, I think you're right. It was 5 AM. I'm usually barely awake if at all at that time of the morning, so it all runs into the same time period for me!

August 25, 2021 10:31 pm  #7

Being awake at 5am, turning on 1010 and listening to Dave Agar and Robert Turner discuss the major news stories was such a great start to the day. The conversation back and forth between the two men was relaxed and respectful, both clearly keen news hounds.

When Robert went solo, it was still worth tuning in to, just a different view of current events.

I do know he has to take off a day on a regular basis due to serious migraines. It's been mentioned on-air. I get killer migraines as well so I can empathize.

Perhaps he's found a solid comfort zone of being able to contribute to the morning show, piping in intermittently to John's show, without the weight and tighter schedule of being full time on-air. He can take a day off if needed, invisibly, unless it gets pointed out to the audience, and it's not a huge problem to have someone else fill in.

I'd love to hear Robert in a co-host situation with John, and he'd be terrific as the second chair when either Ryan or Jay are away in the afternoon.

August 26, 2021 1:16 pm  #8

Agree Robert's a great talent. Witty, deadpan and concise without relying on sarcasm or overshadowing a host's personality.

On this point:

Dial Twister wrote:

John now starts at 5:00. They could give that timeslot back to Robert.

I couldn't imagine that John would refuse that extra 1/2 hour in bed.

As I understand it, there used to be a local 1010 overnight board-op (to handle the re-rolls, syndicated stuff, commercials, throw to news updates (Canadian Press ones, long ago done away with a 1010 local news presence in the overnights, but still), etc.). I know that person stuck around for Robert's 5:00am-5:30am "Early Edition" to throw to clips, etc. - Robert would occasionally reference them - before finishing up their shift and Robert slid into that role for John Moore's show at 5:30 am.

I think now that the board-oping is more centralized following the Bell purge, nobody in 1010 overnights in that capacity (we're excluding the work done with Jim Richards' overnight show, for that show specifically, which is across the network), so John starts at 5 am and that's the first live Toronto-based board op around of the day. Pretty sure that had something to do with that 5 am decision - lack of a board op, so Robert continues to do that for John, but just 30 minutes earlier now.

The other thing is that many people forget - John Moore has graciously pointed this out a few times - Robert "is a manager - and he has a staff" - he actually oversees, schedules, trains, etc. other board ops (what's left of them, locally, anyway, I guess). Not that he can't continue that and have his own show of course. But who knows where his ambitions lie and the time to do it all.

August 30, 2021 6:51 am  #9

Sounds like they decided to give him a shot! I missed the explanation about what happened to John Moore, but on Monday, Robert Turner was the sole host of the morning show, and was acquitting himself quite well. Good for him. And good for whoever realized they already have a winner in their barn and don't have to bring in someone else (like Dave Trafford) to front the show.

August 30, 2021 7:32 am  #10

RadioActive wrote:

Sounds like they decided to give him a shot! I missed the explanation about what happened to John Moore, but on Monday, Robert Turner was the sole host of the morning show, and was acquitting himself quite well. Good for him.

Yes, I'm enjoying Robert taking this show for a spin as well. He explained John Moore was on a planned and scheduled vacation day, "nobody panic", and that Moore will be back Tuesday morning.

August 30, 2021 7:57 am  #11

Robert is doing just fine.  It's amusing how many fellow contributors (Tory, Tom, etc) are making reference to the "Robert coup" to take over the morning show.

The morning show has it's own tempo & flow.  Some can do it, others not.  Regardless if you like them or not, Bill Carroll/Jerry Agar are better suited for the "soap box/pontificate" format but failed miserably with the morning drive show format. 

Still .. don't mess with the Gold .. keep the Moore/Turner combo in place.

August 30, 2021 9:24 am  #12

👏👏👏 Robert Turner goes from playing wing to centre this morning without a hitch.

August 31, 2021 9:32 am  #13

I was amused on Tuesday when a returned John Moore kept referring to a "coup," pretending Robert Turner was trying to take over his morning show after hosting it the day before. Moore indicated he wouldn't even care if he lost the gig, because getting up at 2 AM every day and "falling asleep at someone's dinner party" later that night wasn't a good way to live your life.

Not sure how serious he was, but in this volatile business, where Bell is always sniffing around for ways to save money, I'm not sure it was a statement I would have made on air. But it did make me laugh, so there's that. 

August 31, 2021 10:25 am  #14

*chuckles* John's been doing the morning show for how many years? .. he's more than proven the PROs vastly outweigh the CONs of hosting morning drive.

Today's 8:45am round table was interesting.  I'm glad that ALL panelists challenged the victimhood, discriminatory BS that Knia Singh was pushing.   Even John, who tends to mostly stay the neutral moderator during the round table, aggressively shot down Knia's BS.

August 31, 2021 10:32 am  #15

Could not agree more. His position that not being vaccinated is the same as being racially discriminated against was completely absurd and the fact that not a single one of the others - including the usually politically correct voices - agreed was a victory. But Knia Singh sees the world literally in black and white, and seems to believe that if you're not black, you have to be a bigot. Very much like Desmond Cole, another former 1010 talk show host. 

I'm sure it comes from their life experience, and no one should ever judge anyone on their skin colour or race. But that certainly cuts both ways!

And yes, it made for great radio. But I had to laugh when Moore said with a rather loud sigh that it would cost him a 3-hour meeting after the show! 

September 3, 2021 10:07 am  #16

My take on Robert Turner having his own show, from what I've heard him say about it listening to him over the years. Even though getting up to go work in the middle of the night is no fun, he has made it work for himself. Maybe a one or two hour show on the weekend on his passions of Wrestling and Action Figures. I miss the Early Edition, especially when Dave Agar would sit in with Robert. Dave's decades of journalism experience and his views on the stories of the day were always worth getting up early for.. It worked well when Russ Courtney sat in with Robert, but once Robert was on his own it felt like he would run clips from CTV National News and give his view of the story,which he now does with John Moore throughout his show. I've not been impressed with Knia Singh since I first heard him on The Gerry Agar show as a guest a few years back. Gerry asked him why BLM didn't speak out on the issue of much of the violent crime in Toronto involved mostly young Black males, mainly  gang members.shooting/killing each other. Mr. Singh's response was 'BLM' only speaks out on issues that are important to them.' That left Gerry speechless for a moment or two. Mr. Singh also made the comment ' There are no Black racists'. That had Gerrys jaw flapping. And left me speechless. I wonder what Mr.Singhs view on vaccines would be if all Federal,Provincial Municipal courts mandated that all officers of the courts must be vaccinated or they can't appear in the courts.Hit him in the pocketbook and and see if that changes his view on the matter Would he need to get a fully vaccinated lawyer to represent him in court to file documents to fight that law?..

November 29, 2021 9:07 am  #17

& Robert Turner has returned & is back on Moore in Morning this am.  his humour/wit was missed.  Moore/Turner are a great duo!

November 29, 2021 12:43 pm  #18

Norman peters wrote:

'BLM' only speaks out on issues that are important to them.'.

That answer makes sense, actually. An organization decides on its own agenda and what's important to them. The media doesn't get to decide what an organization's priorities are and if BLM's priorities are opposing anti-Black racism and police violence against Black people it's not the Jerry Agars of the world who get to pre-empt that and say, no, your priority should be gang violence or some other issue. 

Last edited by Hansa (November 29, 2021 12:59 pm)